Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

GreenB
By GreenB,
in

Hi Everybody.

My Wife and I will be traveling to NYC from Tuesday 10/04/11 until Wednesday 10/12/11 (8 nights) and there are a few questions I have.

The only acceptable zone for us is Central Park South, but since we are looking for a 4*, we have plenty of free rebids (15).

-Is it too early to place my bid? I already read elsewhere I should start by now.

I already tried twice, the first day going from $80 to $125 with $3 increments without success and the other one only 2 bids, $100 and $114 with the same fate.

I don't really have a budget but I don't want to overbid. I think that $150-$160 will do it for us.

-How much should I start with?

Last but not least, I did place my bids using your PRICELINE link, which I'll use to place my upcoming bids!

Best Regards.

While anything can happen between now and October, i'm doubtful that $150-$160 is going to be enough for a 4* hotel on your dates above... your current $125 bids almost certainly won't be enough.

At the 4* level is this one of the most expensive zones in NYC, you're going during a busy time of year, and for eight consecutive nites.

We can suggest a strategy for you to follow... but i think it will be an uphill battle and although your stay is 6 months away, you should at least begin to consider alternative options (ie- book direct, consider other zones, etc)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My first piece of advice would be to consider and include in your bidding other parts of the city. As noted above, this is one of the more expensive locations in Manhattan, hotels here aren't won that frequently (relative to other parts of the city), and given there aren't that many 4* hotels in this zone, you're really only bidding on a handful of properties... should any of these hotels not have availability for just one nite of your eight nite stay then that property is out of the running of possibilities. Are you focused solely on this zone because of the location or are you trying to avoid one hotel or another in each of the other midtown zones? Ultimately it's your stay so you have to bid in area(s) that you're comfortable with and be happy with the results, but the above is my two cents.... which may only be worth a penny :)

How high to bid depends upon if you're willing to accept other zones or not... if CPS is the only zone you're willing to accept then i'd probably bid up to $200 at this point in time, although i'm guessing that likely still won't be enough at this time.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare.

You are totally right. I don't want to bid on Mid Town West (MTW) because I want to avoid the Algonquin and I don't want to bid on Mid Town East (MTE) to avoid the W New York. Other that that, I would be just fine in those areas.

I am willing to bid on Times Square (TS), I just thought that zone was too expensive, but I don't have any problem with that area.

All the other zones are less desirable for us.

I have been bidding today all the way up to $150 without success.

Also, and very important, I can wait to win mi bid as long as it takes. It doesn't have to be right now.... as long as I save money :-)

Regards.

I have been using this --------->PRICELINE link.

I am willing to bid on Times Square (TS), I just thought that zone was too expensive, but I don't have any problem with that area.
At times Central Park South can often be even more expensive them Times Square, and if you're willing to also accept TS, you should include it as it will give you more bidding and re-bidding opportunities.
I have been bidding today all the way up to $150 without success.

Also, and very important, I can wait to win mi bid as long as it takes. It doesn't have to be right now.... as long as I save money :-)

So the question remains, given you're 4+ months from this stay, how high are you willing to bid at this point in time. Nobody can say if rates will come down from current levels, or move even higher from here, but as noted and for reasons stated above, my guess is that you'll eventually need to go over $200/nite for these two zones.

Let us know your maximum bid at the current time and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good Morning.

I will add Times Square to my desired zones. So I will go for a 4* in Times Square (TS) and Central Park South (CPS).

At this point of time, and since we have a little more than 4 months to win or bid, I think I am willing to go no more than $165. We'll see what happens later. We might need to increase or limit.

Thank You Very Much for your Time.

I will use this ------->PRICELINE link.

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* TS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi Everyone.

Update.

I was out of town but I have been bidding a few times. Today I decided to change my bidding limit so I went all the way up to $225 without success, only in the Central Park South (CPS) zone.

I started with $150 with $5 increments since I have 16 chances to bid.

Today I can still bid 16 times for the Times Square Zone.

Do you think I'am not getting my bid accepted because I am staying for 8 nights?

Should I divide my stay in 2?

Or is it too early to bid for October?

Regards.

Do you think I'am not getting my bid accepted because I am staying for 8 nights?

Should I divide my stay in 2?

Or is it too early to bid for October?

I think it's all of the above...

As mentioned previously, this is an expensive time of year in NYC, you're restricting your bidding to two of the most expensive zones at the 4* level, and in PRICELINE terms it's a somewhat longish stay.

For the zones and star rating you're bidding I'm generally seeing rates in the $400's for this stay... so from the hotel perspective there is no reason to offer a deep discount if they think they can sell most rooms on their own at full price. The hotel may offer a shallow discount this much before your stay in order to guarantee a non-refundable reservation on the books, but not as deep as the 40%-50% discount you're seeking.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

UPDATE.

I haven't had any success. I have been bidding for the Central Park Zone (CPS) up to $225 and for Times Square (TS) up to $185

and I splited my stay into two 4 night stays.

I am thinking about adding the Empire State Building zone (ESB).

Is this area as difficult to get as the other ones?

Regards.

These dates are definitely expensive, and unfortunately the Fall period is one of the more expensive in NYC. ESB is worth trying and is a nice area, but will likely expensive as well - although it's usually not one of the priciest midtown zones.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE.

Good Day Everybody.

I have been bidding without success in the CPS and TS areas all the way up to about $220.

Today I decided to add the ESB area and for the first time, when bid $215 I got a counteroffer of $260.

The difference is $45. The only problem is that I got the counteroffer on my very last free rebid.

Using the 1/2 difference rule I think tomorrow I can get a 4* in the ESB area for about $238 plus tax and service.

The good thing s that is for the length of my stay, 8 nights. And it is a very nice area.

What do you think?

Regards.

Even $260 is lower than any 4* hotel in midtown currently offered on HOTWIRE so it would seem like a good deal based upon current rates.

If you need further help with a bidding strategy feel free to ask.

Good luck on your next round of bidding and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE links on the board for your bidding.

Hi thereuare.

Thanks to you and to AaronJB for your help.

Yesterday before you posted your answer I realized Hotwire was offering either the Grand Hyatt or the Intercontinental-Barclay for $279.

Actually recent posts were leaned towards the Intercontinental.

Which is EXACTLY not only the area but the corner in which we wanted to stay originally. Pinpoint accurate.

I just didn't know how expensive hotels were in NY.

Needless to say is that I went for the Hotwire offer.

I guess this closes this LONG lasting thread.

You can see my bid on the Hotwire forum.

Thank You Very Much.

I used this --------->HOTWIRE link.

Hi Everybody.

After a LONG story of failed PRICELINE bids, I finally got the Intercontinental-The Barclay on HOTWIRE.

$279 for 8 nights.

Amenities:

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Tennis Nearby

I am really happy as I very much like the Intercontinental chain. The location is EXCELLENT, right by the Waldorf Astoria and 2 blocks away from the Rockefeller Center and Saint Patrick's Cathedral.

New York City hotels are EXPENSIVE during October!

I used this------>HOTWIRE link.

• 2 weeks later...
For those reading these posts, my results for 10-8 thru 11 for this listing on HOTWIRE is now $217.

It's not clear from your post if you have purchased a hotel for your stay or if you're reporting a price change from a previous search, but either way, please start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay (either to report a win or if you're seeking help)

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]