Priceline Hotel: 3.5* NYC (MTE) Hilton Manhattan East

musicphan
By musicphan,
in

Hi All,

Any suggestions as to when to start bidding on rooms (either Hotwire or Priceline) for a room in NYC at the end of August? We'll be there from 8/23rd or 24th to the 28th. My goal is for a room 3.5* or 4* in Midtown East/Central Park South.

Previously via Hotwire, I got the Double Tree on Lexington & 51st and it was a great location; HUGE room for Manhattan - an excellent hotel all around. From looking at that receipt, I bid on that on the 8th for a check in of the 21st.

SO my question/observation is: it seems the better deals are had as you get closer to the time of travel b/c hotels are looking to put "heads in beds" as the saying goes, and will let the unbooked rooms go for less as the dates get closer.

Generally reasonable logic?

Thanks!

Good evening. :)

There is no way to know for sure - there have been many, many occasions (especially as rates have gone up over the last couple of years with increased traffic) where rates during busier seasons either have remained at moderate-to-high levels or have gone higher in some cases. The best time to start looking is when your plans are set. This is generally not a particularly busy time in NYC, but it is pretty close to the "turn" where rates traditionally start to head higher as it gets into September.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

OK, so the dates are set. August 23-28 (5 nights). I probably should also post this in the Priceline forum as Priceline is who I've tried bidding on first.

I'm open to a room in any part of Midtown - 3.5* or 4*.

Thanks for the advice.

I tried to bid on a 4* last night unsuccessfully as follows:

MTE $130

+ MTW $135

+ TS $136

+ CONEY $140

QUEENSBOROUGH BRIDGE $145

LI CITY $150

UPPER EAST SIDE $155

CPS $156

Am I even remotely close to winning a room at this price for this time of year, or am I better served by dropping to a 3.5* in this case? Max I'd like to spend on a 4* would be $170, but of course less is better.

Thanks for all your help.

No need to start a NEW TOPIC, please keep all posts for this stay in this thread, if you ultimately use PRICELINE we'll then move this entire thread to that section of the board.

A $170 bid will at least get you close to a win, but not sure if it will be enough for a 4* hotel or not. Is there a reason you're not bidding the ESB zone... is this midtown location not acceptable?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I thought I was posting this in the Priceline section as that is what I used for bidding. Did I blunder?

As for ESB, I will have my (almost) 12 year old niece with me and can't actually remember how far that is from TS, Theater District, Central Park. I'm able to handle walking 7-10 miles a day, but not certain she could? If I'm mistaken and ESP isn't all that far from the general area, I'll add it in.

...please keep all posts for this stay in this thread, if you ultimately use PRICELINE we'll then move this entire thread to that section of the board.

If you end up in the Southern part of the ESB zone it would likely be far for a 12 year old to walk (at least not without complaining :) ).

If your next move is a 4* hotel up to $170 in the MTE, MTW, TS or CPS zones, i'd bid as follows (NOTE that the following strategy takes into consideration recently failed bids... a 'lurker' following this threads should NOT follow this strategy without having made any previously failed bids):

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE, MTW, and TS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS and CPS...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What are your current thoughts...

1) wait it out and try these same bids again

2) increase your budget

3) consider other nearby zones

4) lower your star rating further

5) SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID

Good morning,

At this point I'm going wait it out and try re-bidding with a slight increase. As I get closer, I'll consider splitting. I always wonder if the length of stay doesn't have an impact on my ability to win. I've noticed that my 3 day stays produce good results, but I have struggled the 2x I needed a room for more than 5 days.

If I go the splitting route, I'll bid for Tues, Wed. & Ths. night then call the hotel and see if I can actually extend for Fri & Sat. before trying to bid those nights, too.

I always wonder if the length of stay doesn't have an impact on my ability to win. I've noticed that my 3 day stays produce good results, but I have struggled the 2x I needed a room for more than 5 days.
It's usually only an issue if there is a rate change over the course of your stay... that is more of a determining factor, then the actual number of nites. I've seen 2 nites stays be difficult when there is a big price difference between the two nites... and 21 nite stays have no problem when the rate was constant throughout the time frame.
If I go the splitting route, I'll bid for Tues, Wed. & Ths. night then call the hotel and see if I can actually extend for Fri & Sat. before trying to bid those nights, too.
Note that PRICELINE and/or HOTWIRE, whichever service you decide to use, will give you the option to extend your stay, but if you were just turned down when bidding for the complete stay at the same price you win the 3 nites for, the chances of you being able to extend the stay at the same price (however, if PRICELINE does have access to inventory for the same hotel, but at a higher price, they will let you know how much you can extend the stay for and you then have the option to accept/reject the higher price for the additional nites)

Good luck! Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

The rate change is likely the problem now that you point it out. I'm going to split up the bidding - yes, I understand it is likely I'll be in 2 hotels - I'm ok with that. My niece and I are travel Vikings!!! Adventure is the name of the game.

Stay tuned - I'm optimistic I'll have some kind of success.

~Cathy

aka Musicphan

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received a nice deal for this stay and are pleased with the results.

If you like margaritas, a short walk from this hotel is El Rio Grande (Third Ave and 37th St) which has great (read: very strong) frozen margaritas... at $10 (maybe even more these days, haven't been in awhile) they're not cheap (nor every big), but they are potent and you can get some free chips and salsa (pretty good too) while you're drinking.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks for the margarita tip, Thereuare. I will make it a point to stop in and try one. Living in the San Diego area, I've had my share of good (and some times expensive) margaritas and always like finding good drinks anywhere I go.

Ya know Thereuare, I think I'm starting to like you! Booze and meat are always delightful...I'm an unrepentant carnivore. I'll be well fed and with a good buzz...

I know a little about Manhattan as I'm not rookie, but suggestions are always good. You seem to be in-the-know...

Ya know Thereuare, I think I'm starting to like you!
It took my wife a little while too :)
Booze and meat are always delightful...I'm an unrepentant carnivore.
If you like, and can handle spicy, the food cart on the SE corner of 53rd and Sixth Ave (8pm-4am) is the place to go with your buzz on and a late nite meat fix:
. It will be the one with the line... and use the red sauce very sparingly at first!

Enjoy, and have a great time in the city.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]