Priceline Hotel: Request for bidding assistance: NYC 7/26/11 - 7/30/11 - Midtown East

mountainbiker
By mountainbiker,
in

Hello, wow, great website. I'm a new user, and I'm looking for bidding advice.

I'll be in NYC in July, check in on July 26, 2011 check out on July 30, 2011; looking for one room with double occupancy.

I've tried bidding on Priceline for the past week with no success.

First preference for price: I'd like to pay approximately $165 for a 4* hotel; OR

Second preference for price: I'd like to pay approximately $130 for a 3.5* hotel.

Is this reasonable?

First preference for location: Midtown East

Second preference for location: Midtown West

Third preference for location: Times Square - Theatre District

Can anyone comment or help with Priceline bidding advice? Are my prices reasonable?

Hi and thanks for your reply. Newest bids are on top:

Legend:

check-in, check-out, areas selected, minimum star level, bid

June 26, 2011 Bids:

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown West, Midtown East, Times Square - Theatre District, 3.5*, $136

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown West, Midtown East, 3.5*,$135

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown East, 3.5*, $130

June 25, 2011 Bids:

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown West, Midtown East, 4*, $169

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown East, 4*, $168

June 24, 2011 Bids:

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown West, Midtown East, 4*, $170

June 23, 2011 Bids:

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown West, Midtown East, Times Square - Theatre District, 4*, $168

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown West, Midtown East, 4*, $168

June 22 Bids:

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown West, Midtown East, Times Square - Theatre District, 4*, $130

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown East, Times Square - Theatre District, 4*, $125

07/26/2011, 07/30/2011, Midtown East, 4*, $125

At the moment I don't think your maximum bids will be enough for this stay. However, first...

You're bidding 3.5* in the MTE zone which exposes you to some hotels which could be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway, is this acceptable?

Not sure if it will help, but at the 4* level is there a reason you're not including CPS and/or ESB in your bidding? I don't think it will change the outcome much at your current bidding levels, but it couldn't hurt, since it gives more hotels a chance to accept your bid price.

Let us know your thoughts on the zone information above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your reply.

A 15 minute walk to the subway would be acceptable.

We did not include CPS and/or ESB because we wanted to try for MTE and MTW and Time Square zones first, as most of our activities will be around those areas, and we are still a month away from our intended travel dates. If it is impossible to get these zones at our target price, then we will consider other zones.

PS: How do I change the title of my original posting? The travel dates in the title should say "7/26/11" instead of "7/16/11"

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

At the moment i'm guessing a 4* hotel in these zones will likely run you ~$200... a 3.5* perhaps $155-$175.

Let us know your maximum bid at each star level, and what you'd like to try for first, and we'll improve upon the bidding strategy you've been using above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since I've been getting Priceline emails saying 4* hotels in NY were recently purchased for $165 per night, I wouldn't want to pay more than $170 per night for a 4* in MTE, MTW or Time square... for now...

For 3.5*, we were thinking max bid of $136.

Once we get closer to our travel date, my maximum will probably increase.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Another reason why that I don't want to exceed $170 for a 4* is that I've read of other winning bids of $140 for a 4* in the same area...
Rates can vary greatly from one day to the next, so it's not uncommon that you won't be able to replicate another winning bid on the board when that user's dates are different then your own. Same for the emails you're receiving from PRICELINE.. the wins you're hearing about in NYC may be for a solo Sunday nite (the slowest hotel nite and therefore rates are typically at their lowest) whereas your stay has 3 out of 4 midweek dates (which are typically busier, and therefore more expensive, then weekend dates). I'm not saying that rates can't/won't come down between now and your stay, but while you're waiting they could also go up.

It appears you're not using your re-bid zones, are you familiar with re-bidding? If not, see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and see if you can determine the SIX re-bid zones you have at the 4* level and the FOUR re-bid zones at the 3.5* level. If so, we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow... if not, ask questions (or just let us know that you're confused) and we'll break it down further for you.

It makes me wonder if I should try for $140 for a 4*???
You have already tried up to $170, correct?

Thanks very much for the clarification.

I am now familiar with the rebidding strategy.

So at 4*, my rebid zones would be Brooklyn, Coney Island, Long Island, MSG, Queensborough Bridge, and Upper East Side, correct?

Yes I did try a maximum bid of $170 already.

Let me know if you have a strategy suggestion. Thanks for all of your help!

Yes, you have your re-bid zones correct, but always double check the zones just before bidding to make sure nothing has changed.

What do you want to use as your maximum bid? (we'll of course start lower and increase gradually so you need not worry about overbidding based upon current prices)

Currently i'm guessing your maximum bid is close, but probably within about $20 of a win at either star level. If you want to give these limits a try, i'd bid as follows:

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones, at the 3.5* level you have FOUR. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, and TS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

If the above is rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTE and MTW and TS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135 (or $136)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I think you're quite likely not far from a 4* win (possibly $10-15), but at this point you can instead keep trying up to $175 every few days in the hopes that new inventory may open up (while something may be going on on these dates to result in higher rates, this is generally a time of year that - while not cheap - is not horribly busy, either.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

My 2-cents... I never want to book via priceline until the last possible minute in almost all cases. Sometimes just to keep it simple I'll bid within 5 days of the stay rather than waiting for the last possible minute. Generally this is the way to get the cheapest price... however the one exception to this rule tends to be NYC .. since sometimes you'll bump into a major conference of some kind that will book out all the hotels and double the rates.

Even when the rates are 'sky high'.. I can generally get something last minute in the city around 200.

What I'd recommend is that you make a cancelable reservation at a hotel that you'd be happy with (a fair amount of options around the $200 level on Expedia at the moment)... and then get more proactive about bidding closer to the deadline that you can cancel your other hotel option.

I just booked the W for the next week for $150 a night.. and the last time I stayed in the city I booked the benjamen for $125 a night.. both 4 star hotels.

It all depends how much waiting will stress you out... but either way.. sometimes nyc just cost 200 a night regardless of what you do. I just don't see the point in raising about 170 or 175 when you still have so much time.

Cheers

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I just tried to duplicate this bidding suggestion and used the rebid zone for 4* MTE, MTW and Brooklyn...

I did not want to stay in Brooklyn - but I thought it was a free rebid zone.

I ended up getting the Sheraton Brooklyn.

Is there anything I can do? Or AM i stuck in Brooklyn all week?

What's the probability of me getting these types of deals if I bid at the last minute, the week before my travel dates?
Nobody can say for certain... see the related 'bid early or close to check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ for a discusson on this subject.

Have you done any more 3.5* bidding OR are you sticking with 4* bidding?

I did not want to stay in Brooklyn - but I thought it was a free rebid zone.
As per the bidding strategy outlined in this thread:
If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Assuming this purchase is for all or part of your previous Priceline NYC stay, please follow-up that thread with the details of your purchase and we'll address and questions you have in that thread. (as requested, please also read your messages)

What I'd recommend is that you make a cancelable reservation at a hotel that you'd be happy with (a fair amount of options around the $200 level on Expedia at the moment)... and then get more proactive about bidding closer to the deadline that you can cancel your other hotel option.

Thanks for the advice. I thought about booking a cancelable reservation, but when I looked at Pricelines guidelines for reasons for a cancelable reservation I was afraid that my cancelation/request for refund would be denied. Currently, Priceline allows you to cancel for the following reasons:

"Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption coverage for reimbursement of non-refundable Hotel penalties if You or Your Traveling Companion must cancel or interrupt your trip due to unforeseen, covered events such as: Job loss Illness, injury or death Home made uninhabitable by fire, flood or natural disaster Direct involvement in a traffic accident en-route to departure Jury duty Subpoena Terrorist act in your destination city Natural disaster at your departure/destination No pre-existing condition exclusion!"Does anyone have experience making a cancelable reservation, then actually cancelled the reservation and successfully received a refund?

Have you done any more 3.5* bidding OR are you sticking with 4* bidding?
Yes, I have attempted more 3.5* bidding, with no success up to $145

The reference to book a cancellable reservation was outside of PRICELINE's "Name Your Own Price" service... some of their retail offers (where the name and price are shown) are cancellable. You can also check Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity and hotel websites. But as with anything you're purchasing and considering cancelling at a later date, always read the terms and cancellation policy carefully.

If you're willing/able to stretch your budget a bit more i think there are some nice hotels available... Cassa Hotel and Residences for $205. A little more than you want to pay, but likely a great location based upon the zones you're bidding.

• 4 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]