Priceline Hotel: 5* Hotel Athens..advise needed

gbs
By gbs,
in

We will be in Athens on Oct 2-4. I have been bidding on a room for a couple of weeks now with no luck. Based on last Fall's winning bids, I started at $70, but quickly went to the $80's and am now in the low $90's. I am always rejected in the 80's, but if I bid 90 or more, I am always told I can bid right away if I raise my bid by $25. There are no free re-bids for this area. Am I bidding too early? Are the 4*'s good deals and decent locations? Any advice would be appreciated. I always bid through your PRICELINE link...Thank you.

If you are headed there in October and the counter offer is $25, then you could take your time and move your offer up by $3-5 each day and hopefully find the acceptance point in-between where you last bid and the amount with the $25 counter-offer.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

There is a thread in the PRICELINE FAQ regarding when to bid, but the quick answer is - you never know. Hotels can estimate their business level for different dates fairly accurately, and some do offer PL rooms this early. You do want to stay on the lower range of your bidding for now, since you can always run it up higher later in the game.

There is a lot of "sticker shock" on hotels prices lots of places this year. Part of it is the weaker US dollar, and part is probably more tourism.

The counter-offer you are getting does mean something is available now, someplace between your last bid and the offer. Don't be surprised though if, as you raise your bid, the counter amount stays the same. A regular PL tactic. Sometimes it scares people in to thinking rates are going up, and they accept the offer even though a few dollars more in bidding would have also worked.

Romelle

You are getting close.

Also remember you are bidding on a 5* property.

Just as a note I see the Athenaeum Athens InterContinental comes up a lot as a five star.

I found it's location away from the city center and not directly on a subway or tram route a deterant.

You might want to try bidding on a four star for a little less or the same money you have currently bid on the five star.

• 2 weeks later...

I have continued to bid on this regularly, with no luck. I have gone from $70 up to $96. If I bid 90 or above, I always get the message I can bid again right away if I raise my bid by $25. Never get that message below 90. I have looked at the 4* available, as suggested, but I'm not thrilled with those choices/reviews. So I'd like to stick with the 5* options. I see that it is common for people to win this bid between 80 and 90, so I'm not sure why I'm not having any luck going as high as I have. Especially given the rocky situation there!

Hello,

I, too, have been trying to bid on an Athens 5* hotel. I have tried for Sept 16 at $80 (bid two nights ago), $90 (bid two nights ago), and $100 (lbid ast night) - all rejected. With the $90 and $100 rejected bids, I received the message to increase my bid by $25 or more. All bids were through the PRICELINE link on BetterBidding.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to go higher... I may go a different route this time but will monitor BB in the meantime.

Part of the problem has been the weak US dollar. It is doing a little better now, but has seen better days.

The rest of the problem? I checked a few random dates in August and got $176 on Priceline retail, whereas your dates in October are $222. You must be hitting some event. 50% off would be a good result.

Romelle

Nina - I'm just a member, but hope you decide to post your results separately. Then they will get posted in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins and will show as a specific result in this area. I checked your date also, and it is $196 on PRICELINE retail.

The $25 counter-offer showing up at both $90 and $100 is pretty typical. Sometimes it scares people. They think prices are rising and jump at the counter-offer. I hope you don't do that. More usually, a win will occur between a dollar or so and the 1/2 way mark. $90 + $12.50 ($13). Not always, but worth easing up gradually.

Romelle

gbs,

What is the best deal you're able to find for a 5* hotel thru conventional booking channels?

nina2121,

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay, then if you want to update here you can link back to your own thread... this will make it easier to keep your stay, and that of the OP, separate and the board better organized.

THANKS!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bring you up-to-date...I have been trying daily for a 5* in Athens...with no luck. We have gone up to $100, but don't want to go any higher because these properties usually don't include breakfast or free wi-fi, and most are a bit out of the area we need. So today I just decided to book a great property right in Plaka district. It has a great breakfast, wifi, both of which are important to us, and is right next door to the metro, so we can get to the airport quickly and cheaper than a taxi. All-in-all, I think we will be happier and I don't need to spend time bidding anymore. While I love Priceline and use it all the time, sometimes it just seems that maybe another route is better....Thanks everyone for all your help. I really appreicate it.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]