Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago Loop 7/2/11 -- 7/3/11

marla6
By marla6,
in

I need a one night stay for Saturday 7/2/11, preferably in the Millennium Park/Loop zone. I know a decent priced Saturday stay is going to be tricky. On a holiday weekend + last weekend of Taste. I'm trying to stay below $125 total. I've tried for three days, topped out at $91 bid ($112 w/ fees) but with no luck.

I realize I'm being optimistic here, but (Q. # 1)any guesses as to whether I might score this soon? Or any other strategies? At this point, HW has the loop zone greyed out & the lowest price they have is a 3.5* in NMA for $151 (which makes me think my efforts will be useless). PL's rates start in the $180s for 4* Looop

I'd be willing to bid 3.5* Loop but I don't see a whole lot of wins for this, which makes me a little hesitant about the hotels in that zone/star level. (Q. #2) Any thoughts on the hotels in the 3.5* Loop list?

I don't want to try NMA @ the risk of winning the outliers that are a little further north than I'd like.

Ideas? Encouraging words? Reality check?

Thanks!!

With HOTWIRE not showing any hotels available in the Loop zone i'd bid closer to your maximum bid and hope that something opens up, but at the moment it appears you'll likely need to raise your star rating, lower your bid, or include nearby zones.

At what point will you consider deviating from your current strategy/maximum bid and what is your back-up plan should you fail at $125?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

... but at the moment it appears you'll likely need to raise your star rating, lower your bid, or include nearby zones.

Did you mean lower the star rating or increase my bid? Otherwise, I'm SUPER confused! :)

At what point will you consider deviating from your current strategy/maximum bid...

I think I will begin a new series of bids at the 3.5* level in the loop then add the NMA zone after I'm out of rebids. If I have no luck there, I'll increase my bid just a smidge in the 4* level + add the NMA zone. Any suggestions on where to start my bid @ the 3.5* level?

...and what is your back-up plan should you fail at $125?

I sort of already have one, which is why I'm keeping my budget hopelessly low. I will be staying with a friend and could stay at his house on this night as well but I wanted this hotel stay just for comfort reasons. I fly in c. 9am on that day & will be out & about all day (so I wanted to stay close to the "action" near the park), and he works nights & I'd much rather stay in a hotel by myself all comfy than in a houseful of strangers (with a shared bathroom) while he's @ work, since I know I'll be tired. Sounds kinda silly, really.

I'm also not necessarily married to the idea of staying in the loop & would be ok with NMA as well... I've mostly not bid it only because I've only been to Chi once & I know nothing of the area! I'm not interested in shopping or bars/clubs... just want someplace with easy walking/transport & safe. Will probably do some walking around, scenery, museums, etc.

I'm not a huuuge fan of the 3.5* level in the Loop area, as some of the properties are pretty out of the way - including the Wyndham and Allegro. These two hotels are in the West (in terms of the Allegro) and South (in terms of the Wyndham) and I'll note that these areas can be very, very quiet at night. The Club Quarters Loop would also be a quiet possibility. The River Hotel (aka Club Quarters Wacker/Michigan) and the Wit would be better possibilities but - of course - there's no way to know for sure.

The only 3.5* in the NMA zone that I don't think terribly highly of (although it's in a fantastic location) would be the Allerton. Regular rates actually aren't awful (well, for Summer) at a number of downtown properties, but HOTWIRE is not showing steep discounts - possibly hotels not aggressively discounting for the weekend because they are expecting walk-ins for the holiday. With the Hilton at $189 and the Palmer at $199, I'd be a little surprised though if bids for a 4* in the Loop weren't accepted at the $100-110 level; if they are not accepted, then hotels are definitely not aggressively discounting for the weekend.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

The not-ideal-location of some of the 3.5* s in the Loop is sort of what I was concerned about. I'll keep inching up on the 4* Loop for now, seeing that I do have a place to sleep, push to shove.

From the NMA hotel list, the only 3.5* which shows availability (on its respective hotel website) is, in fact, The Allerton. Don't know how rooms distribute rooms though... does no availability on the hotel site lean toward no availability left on the bidding sites too (or at least less likely)? The list of hotels with availability is pretty thin for for 4* NMA too.

Yeah, I figured there wouldn't be many deals to be had on a Saturday night for this weekend, but I'll keep trying for 4* in either zone. I'll update on what I end up doing (in the case I don't end up with a winning bid) so you guys can close it out. Thanks!!

Not sure what's going on in the NMA area; some hotels are sold out or a fortune (W Lakeshore at over $1,000 on Expedia), while others are expensive, but closer to reasonable.

You could also try at the 4* level, since the price levels for the 3.5* and 4* properties in the NMA seem rather similar. The Loop zone would be your best bet for this night, though.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Just an update: Still no luck, went up to $115 bid (so already over my $125 limit if you include taxes), both in 4* Loop & 4* NMA. I just had to buy new tires after an out-of-town flat, so upping my budget isn't exactly an option.

With the Hilton at $189 and the Palmer at $199, I'd be a little surprised though if bids for a 4* in the Loop weren't accepted at the $100-110 level; if they are not accepted, then hotels are definitely not aggressively discounting for the weekend.

Looks like that's very much the case. HW still lists the least expensive 3.5* at $180!!! So I plan on trying one more time tomorrow, since I lose nothing by trying, then maybe check out LMT, then just crash at the apartment (my back-up option)

Sigh... thanks for the help though!

Yeah, I noticed the Palmer on LMT last night, but looks like it's already gone to On Request. Still weighing my option I guess. Had it not been for this flat tire fiasco I wouldn't be so hesitant about spending money at this point, even if a tad above my measly budget. Right now, least expensive "available" LMT has is Congress Plaza for $184. I know if I needed more than just Saturday night, this wouldn't be so tricky.

The 3*'s in the NMA-River North area are also pretty nice across the board, as well, especially the Indigo. I wouldn't go 3* in the Loop area, but I think the 3* level in the NMA area is a largely safe bet. The only real known downside is the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza, which is not a bad HI, simply out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]