TX Austin Crowne Plaza Downtown

vicki
By vicki,
in

Thursday, May 19-Saturday, May 21, 2005

Entertainment Card rate of $99.50.

I was not at all impressed by this hotel, and I feel it is at the low end of the 3* category (Priceline's rating), and not at all deserving of its 3 1/2 * Hotwire rating.

Good points - The location is very good, being on the edge of downtown at 5th Street and I-35.

The beds were very comfortable, and the linens appeared new, with triple-sheeting, soft duvets, and multiple pillows.

Our room faced the freeway, yet we heard absolutely no automobile noise at any time.

Bad points - The hotel has a very "depressing" feel to it, inside and out. The rooms are small for Austin hotels, and the furniture is dated (very dark wood) and heavily chipped.

The bathroom is tiny and there was mold around the mirror. There was no circulation fan, and the water temperature in the shower was inconsistent.

There was high speed internet, but no indication anywhere of the cost.

Maid service was spotty. Out carpet was not vacuumed, and our toiletries were not replaced, even though we had run out.

Parking is via the valet only ($15.00 per night), with in-and-out priviledges.

The pool was tiny and the hot tub needed to be cleaned, but it didn't matter, because the pool area was padlocked the entire time we were there.

We were given free breakfast both mornings upon presenting our Priority Club card (did not partake of this).

• 7 months later...

Does this hotel exist anymore? I've googled it but all the official links to it seem to be dead.

This hotel is still referenced by a LOT of websites but, as I mentioned in my last post, the hotel's website itself no longer exists, nor does ichotelsgroup.com have any info about it even though it used to be part of their website.

After some internet sleuthing, it seems that this hotel at 500 N. IH-35, Austin, 78701 is now known as the "Capitol Place Hotel" I don't know any more than that, but maybe somebody else can fill in the blanks.

• 1 year later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]