Priceline Hotel: Need Help for NYC 09/06/11 - 09/10/11

Pitle
By Pitle,
in

I'm looking for 2 Rooms in NYC this September. My maximum is $150 per room/night. Zones doesn't matter (every zone in Manhattan).

4* would be great, but i also accept 3,5* or 3*. Which star-level is realistic for the price?

Already tried several bids in the last 2 weeks, but i wasn't lucky till now.

Am I too early? Is $150 too less for a room in that season or is it because I want to stay mid-week?

Thank you.

Your rejections are likely do to the time of year (beginning of high season) and that your stay is midweek, which in NYC is generally more expensive then weekends. Nobody can say if rates will come down between now and your stay, and perhaps hoteliers are being hopeful that the high season kicks in early this year, but typically it has taken a bit more than $150 to be successful once high-season begins. Not sure how much pressure you feel to 'get this done' or if you're willing to wait it out to see how rates come in as you get closer to your trip.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Pressure isn't that high till now. But I'm traveling with my family and our dates for NYC are fix. So I need the rooms definitely.

Maybe a strategy can be to continue bidding for the next few weeks with a maximum of $150.

And if I'm not successful till the end of june I'd raise my maximum a bit.

I've checked the calendar of wins (great tool btw) in September. There was only one winning bid in the same period ($169 for a 3,5*).

Could this work?

Yes, your approach is sensible... although i'll point out that while the NYC market is far from strong, it has rebounded nicely from depressed levels, so we're generally seeing higher bids needed vs year-over-year comparisons.

If you need help with a more specific bidding strategy let us know if you're trying up to your maximum for a 4* before trying for a 3.5*, up to your maximum for a 3.5* before trying for a 3*, as well as exactly which zones (by PRICELINE name) you're willing to accept and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd accept every zone in Manhattan. There's no problem, if the next metro isn't next to the hotel. The only thing is, that the rooms shouldn't be too small.

For a 4* it will be difficult to get a win with a maximum of $150, so I think that 3,5* is a good compromise.

In other threads I read, that Hudson Hotel in CPS has very small rooms. So I'd rather resign that zone.

This is what I'll try till End of June...if you see a need of improvement, please let me know.

Select 3.5* ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS, Upper W

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access

Select 3.5* ...add Chelsea

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access

Select 3.5* ...add DT

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Your bidding strategy leaves you open to a possible overbid in the DT zone (and possibly, but not as likely, in the Chelsea zone). Assuming all zones are equally acceptable and your goal is the least expensive 3.5* or better in any of the zones above, i'd sooner bid as follows, using your FOUR re-bid zones.

Select 3.5* DT, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE...

Bid $100, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW, TS, UWS, Chelsea...

Bid $100, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE...

Bid $105, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* DT, TS, UWS, Chelsea...

Bid $105, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* DT, TS, HK, MSG, MTE...

Bid $110, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW, ESB, UWS, Chelsea...

Bid $110, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* DT, ESB, UWS, MSG, MTE...

Bid $115, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW, TS, HK, Chelsea...

Bid $115, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* DT, ESB, HK, Chelsea, MTE...

Bid $120, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW, TS, UWS, MSG...

Bid $120, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* DT, ESB, Chelsea, MTE, MTW, TS, UWS, MSG...

Bid $125, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* DT, ESB, Chelsea, MTE, MTW, TS, UWS, HK...

Bid $125, if close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS, UWS, Chelsea, DT...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sorry to hear that your bids weren't accepted. Thank you for keeping us updated and for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Please let us know if you have additional questions and what you decide. The Fall can be busy so I'd recommend being persistent (within reason), trying a couple times a week.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I've tried it almost twice a week till now...I'll continue.

Today I've got a look at Hotwire. I found 2 bargains that are interesting:

4* ESB @ $161,15

3,5* Chelsea @ $156,14

What do you think? Should I continue with Priceline or take one of those bargains?

A friend told me about a great offer at Travelzoo.com.

Currently they are offering the Sheraton in downtown Brooklyn for $109 + tax daily through Sept 10.

Of course, it's not Manhattan. But the price is unequaled and the Metro is pretty near. The reviews are quite good, too.

I've never stayed in Brooklyn before, but i think the neighborhood is acceptable. I tend to make the deal at Travelzoo.

What do you think?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]