IL Chicago Omni Ambassador East NMA

lialmn
By lialmn,
in

I stayed there two nights... Fri and Sat for the weekend before Christmas 2004. (75$/night)

I was able to find parking on the streets both days, yes it was a pain, but I didn't want to spend 34 or 35 for valet parking, or use the lot (no-in/out) nearby for 29$/day. There surrounding areas are residential and need a residential permit only from 6pm-6am everyday. And there are main streets nearby that are metered that are from either 9a-6pm M-Sat or 9/10a-8pm M-Sat. So you could in theory move your car to one of the meters at 4pm Saturday, and put in 1$ for 2 hours and leave it there overnight and Sunday. To find parking starting on Friday, I would suggest looking in areas near "schools," as I discovered those areas have restriction until Friday afternoon (as opposed to Saturday).

I was optimistic about this hotel, despite its mixed reviews (particularly at tripadvisor). It is located in the Gold Coast and a reasonable (~1 mile walk) to the Mag Mile. The Gold Coast is a very very nice area with the Chicago City proper. It is well within walking distance to some very nice restaurants.

I was given a room on the 6th floor (out of 17), and it was certainly a "priceline" room. The hotel is organized as an "L" and I got the room that is abutting the suite that is located at the corner of the "L". Therefore it is the the smallest room on each floor. I requested a 2 double bed room, but they said it would be a 20$/night upgrade charge, so I just stuck with the non-smoking king.

The amenities, which included a robe, were nice. The room was clean, but like I said previously, I received the smallest room, and I believe the bathroom isn't as spacious as what I imagined. There were other posts saying that the bathroom was spacious, and I think that is what was cut out in the room due the constraints of the location.

Other aspects that were good: Free local and 800 calls, FREE WIRELESS internet.

Bad: no central ac/heat. The temp was controlled digitally in a window heater/ac in the corner of the room. It was difficult to set to the right temp as the bed was in the other side of the room. Plus it was noisy.

I felt the WORST part about my stay was the sheets. I read someone complained about bedbugs. I don't believe it had bedbugs, but the quality of the sheets were deplorable. I couldn't sleep the first night. I didn't understand why, then I looked about the label of the pillow case and it said that is was 50/50 and 180thread count. I was astounded; the sheets/pillow case were scratching on my face. I called the front desk at 230am (that is when I finially noticed), and asked if there were other sheets available. They said that we only have one type of sheet, but they could bring another possibly "softer" set. I just said that I'll tough it out.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep well, but I quickly adapted. the second night was similar, but I think I tolerated it much better.

Next time, I would not want to stay here, because of location/sheets. Location is okay, but it is certainly a good walk to the mag mile/center of the action.

(btw, I'm serious about the sheets issue, I've stayed in many hotels/motels, but this is the FIRST time, I actually was bothered enough to look at the label.)

maybe I'm a bedsheet snob? for comparison, I have 220tc 100% cotton sheets at home (and it felt so GOOD to sleep at home on Sunday night), and I believed I slept on 200tc 100% in college.

Check-In Date: Friday, December 17, 2004

Check-Out Date: Sunday, December 19, 2004

Hotel Name: Omni Ambassador East

1301 North State Parkway

Chicago, Illinois 60610

312-787-7200

Summary of Charges

Your Offer Price: $75.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $150.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $30.79

Total Charges: $180.79

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]