Hotwire Hotel: 3* Chicago (North Michigan Ave-River North) Holiday Inn at the Mart

mbgt72
By mbgt72,
in

Trying to book at 4 star hotel for Chicago for me and the girlfriend. Dates for the trip are June 16th to 20th flying into O'Hare. We don't really have any set schedule or plans yet, but wanted to know what area would be best for us (young/mid 20's) and what type of pricing to bid for.

I've been using the PRICELINE links through this site and so far have bid twice.

-1st bid was 4* Millennium Park for $75 - rejected

-2nd bid (today) was 4* Mellenium park for $90 - counter offer of $115

I figure if they counter offered I should just wait and raise the bid a little bit, but started wondering if the NMA would be a better place to get a hotel, and possibly even cheaper. I think I'd be happy with either area, but I've never been to Chicago before and thought I'd ask here first for help and suggestions.

Thanks so much, and as always, I've been using the "Priceline" links through this site. Really appreciate everyone that posts their success over here and I'll be sure to report back my final info.

I have been trying for a month for the exact same areas and dates as you in the same price range with no luck so far. I too got the counter offer for the first time today and will try a little higher in 24 hours for the same. For the 4 star in Millenium Loop area it seems that it would usually be the Hyatt Regency which is right at the river on the border of the 2 areas. It is brand newly renovated...likely why it is usually on the cheap based on ongoing renos but we stayed there in Feb 11 for 75/night and it was a beautiful hotel close to everything with great views from any window. I have been as high as 75 for 2.5 star in both areas with no luck. Looks like it will take at least higher than 90 to win higher stars right now. Please post your progress and will do same. Good luck!!

baddfeccc,

It would be helpful if you started your own thread with your bidding history... this will not only provide a place to post your eventual win with others following along the entire 'saga' leading up to your win, but will also give others the benefit of seeing your failed bids for dates similar to their own.

mbgt72,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages.

NMA is more 'lively' in that it has more bars, restaurants and nightlife... whereas the Loop can get pretty quiet at nite. However, Chicago isn't that big geographically and the Loop zone is certainly do-able for the right price. As baddfeccc noted above, if you were land the Hyatt (or some other hotel in the northern part of the Loop zone) it's just a walk across the river into the NMA zone, if you were to end up more south it would be a moderate walk or a somewhat inexpensive taxi ride back to the hotel.

From your post it appears that you have not yet bid the NMA zone at all? (only bid the Loop both times) Also, you don't appear to be using your re-bid zones... are you familiar with re-bidding (see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained) and comfortable with the concept? (if you're new to re-bidding it's highly recommended you confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceed)

Based upon the above let us know your thoughts between the two zones and your maximum bid for each zone and we'll advise further.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info and the PM. I actually did rebid today for the north area at $90, and got another offer to rebid at $115. I figure I'll wait till tomorrow and bid at $100 and figure there's a decent chance that'll win. But I think the North area will be of more interest to me after your description, but as said, would be fine with either.

I did know about rebidding in a different zone that didn't offer 4* (and used that to win a hotel in Detroit, so thanks a lot for that tip!!!), but I really hadn't looked to see what areas didn't offer 4* b/c I wasn't in that much of a rush.

And as always, I'm starting from this site everytime when I click a link or go to PRICELINE.

As long as you know how to check your re-bid zones you should use them, as it gives you a chance to win at a previously rejected bid price is a new lower rate has been loaded into the system since your last bid.

For example let's assume a hotel is available at $125 and that is the 'right' price for a give stay:

Day 1: Bid $90 --> rejected

Day 2: Bid $95 --> rejected

Day 3: Bid $100 --> rejected

Day 4: Bid $105 --> rejected

Day 5: Bid $110 --> rejected

Day 6: Bid $115 --> rejected

Day 6 later in the day a hotel in the system make a $95 rate available, making this the new 'right' price

Day 7: Bid $120 --> ACCEPTED (but an overbid as $95 would now have been accepted)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck with the next round of bidding and let us know if we can be of further help with a suggested bidding strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've been trying on priceline for the EXACT same dates for a trip that I'm taking with my girlfriend for her first trip to my hometown. Today, my bids went as follows:

4* - NMA/Millennium Park - $125 Rejected

3.5* - Same Areas - $100 Rejected

3* - Same Areas - $100 Accepted - Holiday Inn Chicago Mart

I've been bidding on those same dates every day on PRICELINE for the last month. Although I don't like that I settled for a 3*, I'm just glad to be done with the bidding. If you get the 4* at $115 again, I'd jump all over it. I haven't had that counter-offer.

Trying to ID a 3* & a 3.5* on hotwire right now. I'd been bidding on priceline up to $100 for a 4* in the MMA and north loop with no success so I checked hotwire today and was curious what property this might be.

Dates for both are 6/16/11 - 6/20/11

$107/night

Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville area hotel

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Also saw this property for $150:

3.5-star Hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Boutique Hotel

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Thanks for any and all info.

Sorry, yes the dates are June 16-20th.

(Sorry, I made a new thread b/c it was HOTWIRE deal and not PRICELINE. I wasn't sure if that was correct protocol or not. I didn't want to be spamming by making new threads, but just wanted to make sure I was posting in the correct subforum. Thanks for consolidating as needed.)

Rates have moved higher in the last week since you started this thread... but i'm guessing you're currently not too far away; Ray Michael was able to win a priceline bid for these same dates at $100 just a few days ago.

At the moment another $10-$15 may do the trick at the 3* level (or just a bit more than this for a 3.5*) and you can be 'done' with it... or you can wait it out and hope for another hotel to lower rates in the days ahead.

Let us know how you'd liek to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Update:

I bid $140 for a 4* in NMA, it was rejected but a counter offer was $175. This is just more then I was wanting to spend ( REALLY REALLY wish I took the counter offer for $115 on a 4* back on the first day of bidding, but oh well I guess)

Then rebid for 3* in NMA for $130 and it was accepted. I got the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza, it's nice enough and done booking so I'm happy I guess.

It's a better deal then what is offered on HOTWIRE.com right now, just bummed how much the price went up and the fact that booking all through Expedia for a 3.5-4* at the time I bought tickets would have been a hundred bucks or so cheaper. Oh well, live & learn, overall I've definitely saved money using the bidding method, so I'm still happy.

Thanks for all the help guys, and as always, I' used the PRICELINE.com links from this site for all searching and bidding.

Congratulations on your success!

While not the lowest price you had seen for a hotel while researching this trip, glad to see you're overall pleased with the outcome and got this trip settled... now you can focus on fun things to do in Chicago :)

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]