Priceline Hotel: 4* Newark (Jersey City) Westin

mphysick
By mphysick,
in

I am trying to find a 4* room in NYC for the 4 nights from 9/7 to 9/11. So far I have bid for MTE and TS for up to $160 and have been rejected. From the forum I don't want to stay in UES or UWS as they appear to be too far away. I have been to NYC once before and stayed in UES. I am prepared to bid up to $170. Could you please advise a bidding strategy?

Many thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Generally speaking, at the 4* level, MTE, MTW, CPS, TS and ESB all work well for the average visitor... would all of these zones work for your needs this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, and ESB...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS and ESB...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Nobody can say if rates will come down in the next week(s)... or continue even higher.

I will say that this is often an expensive time in NYC and when we typically see rates begin to move higher for the generally slow summer season.

See the related "Bid early or close to check-in" thread in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for the advice - and the link to the discussion. I was wondering whether adding the Downtown area to my bidding may be more successful? And if so, how you would suggest I do this? Otherwise I will wait a week and try the strategy you suggested again, and failing that, try for a 3.5*.

Thanks,

Michael

I was wondering whether adding the Downtown area to my bidding may be more successful?

At the moment i don't think it will help... but if you're willing to stay downtown it certainly couldn't hurt to try.

You could bid right away, but i'd simply wait 24 hours from your last bid and re-try:

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, ESB and Downtown...

Select 4* TS and Downtown... (<-- only necessary to include Downtown here if you bid w/n 24 hours of your previous bids)

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS ESB and Downtown...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

Good luck.

Are you willing to bid up to $200 at this point in time? If so, do you want to try for a 4* hotel at that price first and then lower to 3.5* if rejected OR prefer to first try for a less expensive 3.5* (which i'm not sure if it will be available at this price) from the onset?

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

It seems an expensive time to visit so I'm happy to try going to $200 for a 4* if you think it may be successful. Also happy to split the bid for only 3 nights and try for something near Laguardia the final night as I have an early flight the next day if that would help. Thanks

I would try the following for your complete stay, 9/7-9/11:

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, ESB and Downtown...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS ESB and Downtown...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

If the above is rejected, close the browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE, and try again for 9/7-9/10

Good luck!

Unfortunately all my bids were unsuccessful (up to $210). I was wondering whether it was worth bidding for a 4* in Jersey City. The prices seem a lot less and it seems there is good public transport there to Manhattan (although I stand to be corrected). With a preferred budget of $180 per night, would I be better off bidding there, or trying for a 3.5* in New York (Manhattan)?

Thanks.

You will almost certainly be successful at under $180 in Hoboken-Jersey City... it comes down to whether you're willing to give up the convenience of staying directly in Manhattan in exchange for the savings.

Another option is if you're willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID... you could stay in Hoboken-Jersey City for 2 nites and then in Manhattan for the other two nites.

Some very rough perspective on prices based upon a quick look:

Full Stay at 3.5* in Manhattan: $200+

Fully stay at 4* in Hoboken-Jersey City: ~$110-$150

Split Stay 2 nites in each: $165/nite average

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly.

Splitting my time sounds like a good move. Especially since I have an early flight 7am from LaGuardia the next day, so staying in Manhattan would make it easier to get to the airport. I saw Hotwire had hotels in Hoboken-Jersey City for $145, so hopefully I can get something less on Priceline.

Could you please advise a strategy for 2 nights in 4* Hoboken-Jersey City followed by 2 nights in 3.5* Manhattan in an area which will be convenient for an early LaGuardia departure (probably not Downtown?).

Many thanks.

Could you please advise a strategy for 2 nights in 4* Hoboken-Jersey City followed by 2 nights in 3.5* Manhattan in an area which will be convenient for an early LaGuardia departure (probably not Downtown?).

Based upon the prices i'm seeing you actually want to do this the other way around... stay in NYC the first two nites and then Jersey City/Hoboken the weekend nites. A local taxi service from Hoboken/Jersey City to LGA will cost you about $35 + toll ($8) + tip

Is this still a viable solution if you need to split it up this way?

I just double checked and rates to LGA have gone up a bit with gas prices.. probably closer to $45 + toll + tip... but as you get closer to your arrival i'll check for any specials from local companies (heavy competition among taxi services so lots of discounts and specials often available and why rate is somewhat cheaper then you may have otherwise imagined)

For the 9/9-9/11 leg of your stay in Jersey City/Hoboken, at the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Jersey City...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70 if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95

If the above is rejected HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the Jersey City-Hoboken zone (Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business, Internet) for $98/nite and you can book that.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS- note that the first 2 nites of your stay will likely cost ~$225... which is where the ~$165 average i referenced above comes from (assuming your successful at ~$100 above). Just clarifying before you move forward.

Congratulations on your success!

No need to re-post, we've edited the topic title to reflect your win and moved this thread to the NJ section of the board.

Thank you for sharing your win... please start a NEW TOPIC for the remaining 2 nites of your stay.

Enjoy this leg of your trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]