Priceline Hotel: 4* Paris (Batignolles-Montmartre-Republique) Crowne Plaza Republique

mPasCa
By mPasCa,
in

Ok, so we may have to split this post up after I start bidding, but let me start with this:

I need to be in Paris on Friday, Jul 1. The number of days is flexible, but I was thinking until Tuesday, Jul 5. After that its on to Barcelona for a stay until we leave Jul 9.

So I've done Priceline in the US before, and I was wondering if there are any qualitative differences in the European experience. For instance, I usually book 4* in the US, but it seems that a similar level of quality is considered 5* in Paris. Is this true? Is there any other thing to watch out for (with regards to the Priceline hotel experience, not "they drive on the right side of the road" type stuff :)) when I'm booking a hotel across the pond?

As always, I'll post my bid status up here when I start. Any advice that you share before then will be greatly appreciated!

Yes, star ratings in Europe tend to be a half to a full star lower then their US counterparts.

What is your budget for the Paris leg of your trip?

As always, I'll post my bid status up here when I start.
Thanks, please also use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, star ratings in Europe tend to be a half to a full star lower then their US counterparts.

Be careful as some of the Paris zones put you a bit outside of the center of the city. Look up the Marriott Rive Gauche for example and decide if that's an acceptable location to be in. Depending on how you feel, St. Germain - Latin Quarter may not be a zone you want to bid in.

Thanks for the star rating advice. Of course I'll use the links!

As for the budget, ideally we'd like to get in under $200/night in Paris. Can a 5* be reasonably expected at this price in the center of town?

It seems (from the calendar of wins) that I may be able to get a really good deal in Barcelona that could increase my budget for Paris.

Be careful as some of the Paris zones put you a bit outside of the center of the city. Look up the Marriott Rive Gauche for example and decide if that's an acceptable location to be in. Depending on how you feel, St. Germain - Latin Quarter may not be a zone you want to bid in.
Yes, I've seen priceline paris post that makes me take the neighborhood boundaries in Paris quite literally. However, my wife and I love to walk, so a mile or so from the city center isn't too bad (obviously not ideal).
As for the budget, ideally we'd like to get in under $200/night in Paris. Can a 5* be reasonably expected at this price in the center of town?
Please indicate which zone(s) you're considering and we'll be able to comment further.
It seems (from the calendar of wins) that I may be able to get a really good deal in Barcelona that could increase my budget for Paris.
Why not bid for Barcelona first so you will then have a better idea of your bidding limit for Paris?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

PS- please follow-up your previous Hotwire Ventura thread with whatever you ended up doing for that stay. Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For reference points - I've been bidding on priceline

For four star hotels at Paris for a Monday night in September - Airport Charles de Gaulle CDG - a few days ago tried $79, did not get it, today tried $78 plus $5 bonus = $83 and did not get it. Both times I was countered with an offer to bid again if I increased my bid by $20. This is at a time that hotwire is showing what probably is the Hilton for $130

Please indicate which zone(s) you're considering and we'll be able to comment further.
So, I'm looking at zone 3 (champs elyse), zone 7 (opera west), and zone 6 (opera east), in that order. I'll be hoping for a 5*. (BTW, let's work with the dates 7/1-7/5.) Any idea of the price range for a 5* in that timeframe? Again, I'm hoping for under about $200/night.
Why not bid for Barcelona first so you will then have a better idea of your bidding limit for Paris?
Will do. There are only 4 zones and I would really prefer zone 3 (La Rambla), although zone 1 may work if I'm pushed to it. Again, I'd like to do 5*---the days would be 7/5-7/9. Could you suggest a strategy?
Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.
Of course :)
So, I'm looking at zone 3 (champs elyse), zone 7 (opera west), and zone 6 (opera east), in that order.
Are you willing to pay more for Champs Elysees vs. OQW vs. OQE... or is your goal the least expensive of any of these three zones?

For Paris...

There are only 4 zones and I would really prefer zone 3 (La Rambla), although zone 1 may work if I'm pushed to it. Again, I'd like to do 5*---the days would be 7/5-7/9. Could you suggest a strategy?
We'll use this thread for your Paris stay, please start a NEW TOPIC for the Barcelona leg of your trip... we'll start with that one and then re-visit this thread since your Paris budget may be determined by your Barcelona success.

For your previous Hotwire Ventura hotel thread:

Can you please further check this listing in your HOTWIRE account (viewable by clicking on the MY ACCOUNT link on the top right of their home page) and let us know the room rate and dates of this stay so we can add this information to the topic title and enable this win to appear in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Please click this PRICELINE link before starting a NEW TOPIC for your Barcelona stay.

Thanks.

All right, let me report a failure. Just bid for 5* in Opera West for 7/1-7/5. Went up to $200/night with no hits (no upsell either).

Dejected, I went off and tried 4* in Opera East and Opera West at $130/night. Still no bite.

I'm off to see if I can get a deal in Barcelona. I'll start a new post after the bid to let y'all know how it goes.

-m

• 3 weeks later...

Another failure to report. Bid Paris 4* Champs Elysees, Latin Quarter, Opera East, Opera West up to $180. No re-bid offers. Any ideas? I suppose I could bid zone 4 or 2. Does anyone have experience with the distance to the town center from these areas?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]