Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile-Streeterville) Hyatt Regency

El Georgino
By El Georgino,
in

Hi - I need help with a bidding strategy for a 4* in Chicago on 5/24-5/25. We prefer the Milleniem Park/Loop/Grant or North Michigan areas but Greater Chicago would be great too. First time in Chicago so I don't know what price to start off. We are actually trying to book 3 rooms, would that be a problem?

I appreciate your help and will definitely use the PRICELINE website found on your site to book.

Many thanks!

Unless you have reason to be in the 'Greater Chicago' zone i would suggest sticking with the main Downtown zones of NMA and the Loop.

Rates are not too bad for these dates, let us know your maximum bid for this stay and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've looked over some posts and people have been able to get a winning bid for around these dates for no more than $125. If that is doable, then I'd love a 4* hotel in main Downtown and the Loop like you stated for no more than $125. If I need to bid more, I can go up to $150, i f needed.

I will definitely use the links for PRICELINE provided to do my search and booking. Thanks!

I would also definitely not recommend the greater Chicago area. While retail rates are on the expensive side downtown for these dates, there are some HOTWIRE options under your desired price target, including a 4* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area for $100 (the price you see may vary slightly.) I think a win at the 4* level in the Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park area is possible at the $80-85 range, while I'm guessing a 4* win is possible in the $85-90 (possibly up to the $100-105 range, but I'd start lower) area in the NMA-River North area. The River North-NMA area is preferrable if you plan to be out later in the evening.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $73, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85

I'd start with the above, any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I used Priceline and tried a 4* hotel in the NMA area with bids of $65, $75, $80, $85, and $95 but were not accepted.

My re-bid zones with no 4* hotels were Frankling Park, Hyde Park, Lincoln Park, and Midway Airport North.

I see that Midway Airport Area and Skokie have 3.5* hotels but did not try them as re-bid zones since I am scared, for some reason, that Priceline will accept my bid in those areas even though they list not having 4* hotels. Is that a concern? Because I ran out of re-bid zones without 4* hotels.

Never have tried Hotwire so I am unsure if I will try it. From y'alls experience, Hotwire works just as well or better than Priceline?

Thanks for all the help.

I used the PRICELINE link given and will continue to do so in the future.

I used Priceline and tried a 4* hotel in the NMA area with bids of $65, $75, $80, $85, and $95 but were not accepted.
Is the Loop zone no longer an option?
I am scared, for some reason, that Priceline will accept my bid in those areas even though they list not having 4* hotels. Is that a concern?
I don't think it should be, but you need to be comfortable with whatever strategies and techniques you use... but always double check your re-bid zones just before bidding.

HOTWIRE has what i'm guessing to be the Hyatt Regency for $105. There is also a hotel for $95 which appears to be the Allerton Crowne Plaza, Millenium Knickerbocker, Omni, Sutton Place or The Avenue Crowne Plaza. Does either of these offer appeal to you?

Yes, I decided against The Loop. After reading through your suggestions I did a bit more research and NMA or Mag Mile is where we would like to stay.

I've decided to look into Hotwire also, since Priceline is tough right now even though I will probably try increasing my bid on Priceline later.

The Hotwire hotels you mention do entice me a lot. This is interesting though...on Hotwire if I say I want 3 rooms, 6 adults and 0 children I get a $94 quote for NMA-Water Tower-Gold Coast and $101 quote for Mag Mile-Streeterville. But if I say 3 rooms, 6 adults, and 2 children (we do have 2 children in the party) the Mag Mile quote stays the same but the NMA quote increases to $205!

From that interesting fact, can you tell which hotel the Mag Mile is? Or trim it down some more? Also, does it matter if I put the number of children?

I know this is a lot of questions but after this post, I will book the trip and post my results here and use both the HOTWIRE link and PRICELINE link provided. Thanks!

From that interesting fact, can you tell which hotel the Mag Mile is? Or trim it down some more?
No, this doesn't help narrow it down... and with common amenities and multiple hotels matching those amenities, you could be seeing one hotel when searching for 6adults/0children and a completely different property when searching for 6adults/2children.
Also, does it matter if I put the number of children?
It can. All that is guaranteed is a room which can accommodate the number of guests you include in your search. If you only book each room for double occupancy you could receive a room with only one bed and the hotel may not be able, or willing, to accommodate your request for a room with 2 beds. As well, there are some hotels in Chicago where a room with two beds is considered an upgraded from standard so even if a hotel is willing to accommodate your request for a room with 2 beds, there could be an additional fee involved. It comes down to how much risk you (and those you're traveling with) are willing to accept. (although this is a risk you've already accepted when you bid on PRICELINE since they only guarantee double occupancy and no ability to increase the number of guests)

I don't know what I was thinking but I wanted to book a hotel for 5/31/11-6/1/11 and not 5/24/11-5/25/11. Regardless, I used the HOTWIRE link on this page and was able to get the Hyatt Regency which was a 4* hotel on Hotwire for $78!!! Keep in mind that I rented 3 rooms. Thanks for all the help! First timers in Chicago so if you have any hidden gems for restaurants/breakfast places around this area, please let me know. Thanks again!

The amenities included:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Spa Services

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received a very nice deal for this property and are looking forward to your trip (and more importantly purchased for the correct dates before it was too late! :) )

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

The Hyatt is in a very nice location right off Michigan Ave, next to the river. If the weather here ever actually warms up, then the bridge is where the two main boat tours (Chicago Architecture Foundation and, on the other side of the River, the Wendella) leave from. There are so many options in terms of restaurants it's hard to begin without knowing a bit more about what you're looking for, but I particularly like the Fox and Obel Market and Cafe (fox-obel.com, which is across the river from the Hyatt and a little East, on Illinois and McClurg.) Xoco (http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/xoco.html) is a newer, more casual offering from famed chef Rick Bayless, and I think that's worth trying. In terms of pizza, there's a Giordanos around the corner from the Hyatt and I believe the address is 135 Lake.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]