Hotwire Hotel: Need help: Chicago (Museum Campus - McCormick) 3* 5/23-25

onebumwheel
By onebumwheel,
in

Hi there,

I need some help identifying a 3-star hotel in Museum Campus - McCormick Place- Soldier Field area on Hotwire for 5/23-25.

Amenities are Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, Hi-Speed and Tennis Nearby(?). Current price is $128.

I've been searching for awhile and can't find anything less expensive that seems halfway decent. I know about the NRA show, but I'll be there on the tail end, so hopefully it won't totally inflate things.

I'm going to be at McCormick Place, so somewhere in that region would be ok. Grant Park would be great. Not sure what other areas are easily accessible (I don't want a long commute).

Thanks!

These dates are unfortunately expensive due to the NRA show and the higher Spring traffic. In terms of HOTWIRE, besides the potential Essex, there are a number of 3-3.5* options in the Loop, Mag Mile and NMA areas, but unfortunately for around $25-45 more. The issue with Chicago unfortunately is that there are not hotel-dense outlying areas right nearby in the way that some cities have. With Chicago, there are great options in the burbs that are way cheaper, but you're looking at a 30-35-45 minute commute. You could also try PRICELINE, although you could then get any hotel at the star rating you bid for (or the next one up, if there is one.) In terms of PRICELINE or HOTWIRE though, I'd stick with Millennium-Loop-Grant Park or River North-NMA only.

What would be your desired max budget per night?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks. I think my max would be about $150 per night, all-in.

I haven't tried PRICELINE yet. I haven't used it in many years, and don't remember the best way to do it.

I was reviewing the PL bidding strategies on your board and the areas that I'm looking at possess all star levels. How would I factor that into my bidding? Also, where is a good starting bid point? Given the NRA show, and the reduced inventory, I know it won't be easy. Thanks!

What is your desired star rating? If less than 4* are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel OR is your goal the least expensive hotel at the minimum star level or better?

Which zone(s), by PRICELINE name, are you willing to accept?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Good questions. Not an easy answer...

Last year I stayed at the Best Western Grant Park. It's nothing flashy, but it is cheap (I think around $90/night booked direct). Now it's $200/night. I think it's listed as 2*, but I would consider it by location if it were cheap enough (i.e. $75-90ish).

Price is a factor. I won't be in the room much, but I'd prefer not a total dump. Somewhere where I can easily get something to eat nearby would be good, too. The show I'm attending has shuttles from some major hotels, so being at or near one of those would be nice. Hotel link: (https://onpeak.compassreservations.com/compass/external/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_hotelsearch_results&CFID=225971&CFTOKEN=702332&PID=P96193838664F558E-C)

The areas that would be best are the Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area, and North Michigan Ave - River North Area. Greater Chicago might work too.

Ideally, I'd spend around $100 per night, but I know that may not be feasible. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Higher demand equals higher rates... not just for the Best Western you referenced but for opaque rates as well.

I'm guessing that you're looking at approximately $150 for a 4*... perhaps $125-$135 for a 3.5*/3*.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you are coming for a convention that's sizable enough to offer transit from hotels around downtown, then that opens you up to both the NMA-River North and Millennium Park-Loop Grant Park area. I would be cautious about bidding below 2.5* in the Loop, and at the 3* level, the Essex would be a possibility. I like the 3* level in the NMA-River North area, although if you were to get the Indigo, that would be quite a ways North (although if transit was offered from a nearby hotel, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.)

I wouldn't bid below 2.5* in the Loop and I wouldn't bid below 3* in the NMA-River North area.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Based upon the approximate prices above what would be the star rating you'd want to try for first and what would be your maximum bid? Would you be willing to bid both the NMA and the Loop zone(s)?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I don't know what page you're referring to, and as we're here to answer your specific questions in this thread, i'm not sure how some 'general information' thread is going to benefit you more then the one-on-one you're getting here.

To get started, we need to know what you want to try for first, which is a decision you need to make based upon your needs/budget/plans for this trip.

I'm guessing that you're looking at approximately $150 for a 4*... perhaps $125-$135 for a 3.5*/3*.
The decision(s) you need to make is twofold:

1) whether you wanted to first try for a 4* hotel up to $150 OR first try for a 3.5* up to $135 or a 3* up to $135

2) do you only want to bid the NMA-River North zone or also include the Loop zone (in hoping for a cheaper price in that zone vs. only bidding the NMA zone)

HOWEVER, the above may now be a moot point as rates have changed i i'm doubtful a 4* is still available at ~$150, so you can choose this option if you'd like, but realize that i now don't think that's likely a reasonable price.

Hotwire lists a couple cheap alternatives. I know they aren't glamorous, but I just need a room at this point. Any idea which hotels these are?

These are both in the Museum Campus - McCormick Place - Soldier Field area hotel area

2*, $103 (Best Value), Restaurant, Business Center and Hi-Speed Internet (65% recommend) (My guess is Best Western)

2.5*, $123 (Best Value), Gym, Restaurant, Laundry, Hi-Speed (35% recommended) (My guess is Travelodge)

What do you think? I can't spend much more time working on this.

Thanks in advance.

Not surprisingly neither of these properties have been reported to the board. I say not surprisingly because they both seem like properties we would advise shying away from... neither is in the usually recommended 'downtown' zones and one has a 35% recommendation from previous guests.

What about SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID?

HOTWIRE has a 3* hotel in the NMA zone for $151 with Boutique, Restaurant, Smoke Free... best guess would be the Tremont Hotel.

Then for 5/24 there are multiple options in the NMA zone (4* hotel for $120/nite) and/or MagMile zone (4* for $101/nite).

It's up to you whether you're willing to change hotels in exchange for a higher quality property and better location.

Let us know what you decide and/or how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]