Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium Park - Loop - Grant Park)

cheapsk8
By cheapsk8,
in

I've booked in downtown Chicago a couple of times via this website and Priceline, but seem to get matched to the Palmer House Hilton frequently . . .it's a nice hotel, but it's older and in need of some renovation.

Is there a good strategy of booking in Priceline's Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area but AVOIDING the Palmer House Hilton? Maybe I should just go with Hotwire?!

Here's more info on my situation. I'm traveling to Chicago in October for a 2-night stay (Friday to Saturday). I'll be coming in from the south and will have a car. I'd like to stay downtown, but have plans to attend an event in the Belmont area. My thought was to park near Navy Pier, stay downtown and take the CTA's blue line.

Does anyone have a better idea?

I'd be open to staying in one of the shopping communities to the south (Elmhurst/Oakbrook) or north (Schaumburg/Woodfield) as mentioned in another post, though using the public transit system from these locations would require at least 3 transfers . . .it would have to be a pretty big savings on parking/lodging to make it worth while.

3-star hotel in Lake View - Lincoln Park - Wrigleyville

10/21-10/23

This hotel features the following amenities:

• Complimentary Breakfast - <amenity names only please... not descriptions>
  • Fitness Center - Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.
  • Golf Nearby - Property is located within walking distance or a short drive of at least one golf course; an extra charge typically applies.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

I would either use HOTWIRE or bid the NMA-River North zone.

With the HOTWIRE property above going for $175/nite, and 'true' Downtown hotels both higher rated and less expensive, is this a realistic option for you at this point? What is your desired budget per nite?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Various notes:

1. I tend to recommend the North Burbs which have access to the Metra trains, which are a nicer ride. Or, if you stay in the North Burbs, you can drive (although it may be a bit of a trip, depending) to the nearest CTA station and go from there. I would not recommend bidding for less than 3.5* in the Evanston-Skokie-Niles zone, but if you were able to get a win at the 3.5* level in this zone at the $45-65 range, that would be a good option for outside the city, as this zone is the closest suburban zone to the city. There may be a parking cost, but not as bad in the in the city.

2. The Lincoln Park HOTWIRE property may be something like the Best Western Hawthorne, but I would really, really not recommend paying more to stay up in Lincoln Park, when there are cheaper options (including the Club Quarters Wacker for $139 full price) downtown. It's really not a very long trip at all to go from downtown to Lincoln Park on the "L".

3. If you stayed downtown, you can park at Millennium Park or Navy Pier and take the Red Line North to Belmont.

4. You cannot avoid a particular property when bidding on PRICELINE. You can try HOTWIRE to see if what appears to be a different property is showing.

5. Schaumburg is nice, but you would have to drive to the nearest Metra station or CTA station and then it's a looong trip. Same w/Oakbrook. I'd suggest Metra over CTA for a longer trip (whether Oakbrook or Schaumburg) as while more expensive, it's just nicer and more comfortable for a longer trip.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]