Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

bubblybrenda
By bubblybrenda,
in

Hello,

I am having a bit of difficulty with the map and ascertaining what area I should stay in. I have only visited NYC once before and stayed in LoHo and liked it. I am partial to the areas around Union Square Park, Greenwich Village, Tribeca. Are these areas considered Midtown?

I am looking for minimum 3.5 stars and would like to stay around $150/night if possible. Must have in-room A/C. Otherwise, we're flexible as far as amenities go (don't need a pool, gym, etc.). I did find the Marcel @ Gramercy on Hotwire for $162/night. It's on E. 24th which looks to be walkable to Union Square Park area. Is it?

Aside from the areas mentioned above what are other areas I could look at that would offer lots to do day & night (ie: shops, restaurants) (not Times Square).

Thank you very much.

PS: I need to get my hands on a NYC map!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I am partial to the areas around Union Square Park, Greenwich Village, Tribeca. Are these areas considered Midtown?
No, all of these areas are generally considered south of Midtown, but one of the issue you're going to find is that there just aren't a lot of hotels in these areas (ie- Union Square and Greenwich Village). A similar issue, is that Tribeca is part of the larger "Downtown-Financial" district zone, so you won't be able to target just Tribeca (or Soho i'm guessing is what you really referring to).

If you go to MAPSandHOTELS.com and enter "Greenwich Village, NYC" or "Union Square Park, NYC" you'll be able to see each of these areas pinpointed on the map and compare to the PRICELINE map and zones (as well, you'll likely see how there are not a lot of hotels between Houston St and 14th St)

I am looking for minimum 3.5 stars and would like to stay around $150/night if possible. Must have in-room A/C. Otherwise, we're flexible as far as amenities go (don't need a pool, gym, etc.). I did find the Marcel @ Gramercy on Hotwire for $162/night. It's on E. 24th which looks to be walkable to Union Square Park area. Is it?
The Macel at Gramercy is about a half a mile from Union Square Park, so about a 10 minute walk. However, this property was last reported to the board at the 3* level by HOTWIRE, so does not appear to meet your 3.5* criteria?
Aside from the areas mentioned above what are other areas I could look at that would offer lots to do day & night (ie: shops, restaurants) (not Times Square).
It really dependsd what is most important to you for this stay... i don't recommend the Downtown zone as it will be just a bit too far south for a full week stay. I think ESB and Chelsea will get you closest (geographically) from Union Square... and MTE (at the 4* level... not necessarily at the 3.5* level) might work well for you too as there is pretty good subway access to the points you mention, but probably won't give you the 'neighorbood-y' feel i sense you're seeking... although it can get very residential just one or two avenues over from where most of the 4* hotels are located in this zone.

Based upon the above let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you very much for the links to the maps. The visual of how few hotels are in the area I was hoping to stay was an eye-opener and I will now readjust my thinking.

I agree on the areas you have suggested: Chelsea and ESB being optimal and then MTE.

I also agree about the Marcel not meeting my 3.5* expectations.

I do appreciate your assistance. I am easily frustrated by travel planning and seeing there are "experts" willing to assist makes it less stressful. Thank you again.

When I make my purchase I will ensure to use the links provided and report back on my purchase.

See the related "Bid Early or Close to Checkin" link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Summer is typically a slow time of year in NYC so from that perspective there is no rush, but you also need 8 nites, and extended stays can be just a tad harder to win since the hotel needs to have offered (low priced) availability for the entire length of your stay. If a given hotel doesn't offer 'opaque' inventory for one nite within your date range, then that hotel can't be won, and is not in the running (making fewer hotels available to accept your bid)

So a lot has to do with your temperament... how 'nervous' are you not having a reservation 3 months before your stay? How flexible are you should prices suddenly moved higher, would SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID be a possibility?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am now ready to secure a hotel. Can you please help me? I am looking at these areas, in order of preference, Chelsea; Empire State Bldg; Mid-town East. I would like a minimum of 3.5 stars and would pay up to $200/night for a 4 star. We will be in NYC from July 5 to 13. Splitting a bid is also an option (but least preferable).

Thank you very much.

I am looking at these areas, in order of preference, Chelsea; Empire State Bldg; Mid-town East.
Are you willing to pay more to be in your first zone vs. second zone vs. third zone OR is your goal ultimately the least expensive hotel in any of these three zones?
I would like a minimum of 3.5 stars and would pay up to $200/night for a 4 star.
Is $200 your limit for a 3.5* as well? Did you want to try for a 4* up to your limit first, then if rejected, try for a 3.5*... or is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better?

I didn't re-read this entire thread, but at the 4* level what are your reasons for avoiding ESB, CPS and/or MTW? At the 3.5* level is there a reason you're not including MSG?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Are you willing to pay more to be in your first zone vs. second zone vs. third zone OR is your goal ultimately the least expensive hotel in any of these three zones?
Not really. I'd like to keep it around $200/night (taxes etc can be on top of that) so would consider ESB & MTE if Chelsea wasn't accepted.
Is $200 your limit for a 3.5* as well? Did you want to try for a 4* up to your limit first, then if rejected, try for a 3.5*... or is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better?
Yes, I would prefer to try for a 4* up to my limit first, then if rejected would move down to a 3.5*. Least expensive 3.5* is not my goal.
I didn't re-read this entire thread, but at the 4* level what are your reasons for avoiding ESB, CPS and/or MTW? At the 3.5* level is there a reason you're not including MSG?
No reason for avoiding, except earlier in the thread, for what I am looking to experience in NYC, Chelsea, ESB & MTE were recommended in that order. I do not want to be in the area of Times Square, I do want to be within walking distance of "neighbourhoody" type areas (like the feeling I get in Greenwich Village and Tribeca, although I understand there isn't much for hotel offerings in that area, hence the 3 areas I think would get me closest to that feeling).
Absolutely!

So to confirm your goal is the least expensive 4* or better in the Chelsea, Empire State Bldg or Mid-town East zone with a maximum bid of $200 (which i don't think will be necessary). If this is correct...

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and ESB...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Chelsea...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB and MTE...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you very much.

I did as instructed for 4* MTE & ESB bidding up to $130 and all were rejected.

I am having reservations about Chelsea. I googled 4* Priceline hotels in Chelsea and the Trip Advisor reports of the Gansevoort kinda turned me off. If I select 4* Chelsea my assumption is that I could very well end up at the Gansevoort correct?

Do you know what 4* hotels people are winning in the Chelsea area? As well, could I correctly assume a 4* would have air conditioning?

Thank you.

I am having reservations about Chelsea. I googled 4* Priceline hotels in Chelsea and the Trip Advisor reports of the Gansevoort kinda turned me off. If I select 4* Chelsea my assumption is that I could very well end up at the Gansevoort correct?
The Gansevoort has never been reported to the board, but is in PRICELINE's Chelsea zone, so it's a possibility, but no evidence that they're a PRICELINE participating hotel.
Do you know what 4* hotels people are winning in the Chelsea area?
The Fashion 26 is the only 4* hotel reported to the board in this zone, but since it was last reported, Hilton has taken over this property and it is now the Hilton Fashion District, but this property has not yet been reported to the board. I'd consider this hotel a likely candidate, as is the Eventi Kimpton, but there could be others as well.
As well, could I correctly assume a 4* would have air conditioning?
It's not a requirement to be rated 4*, but i would think 4 star hotels in Manhattan would have air conditioning this time of year (there may be some properties with older systems which turn on/off for the season, but any of these properties would be on their A/C by July)

Thank you. Using the PRICELINE link, I bid as instructed. At the $140 bid I received a counter-offer of $175. I rejected it and continued bidding in $5 increments. My bid was accepted at $160/night for the Intercontinental The Barclay. I'll be sure to report back on the hotel after my trip.

Thank you so very much for all of your assistance. I truly appreciate it.

You can post here or add a your thoughts/opinion to the Hotel Review section of the board.

While at this hotel you're also not too far from my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Have a great trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]