Priceline Hotel: Resort Orlando (WDW) Omni at Champions Gate

curtis_palmer
By curtis_palmer,
in

First, let me say that I never intended on booking a hotel SO far south in Orlando. I'm actually going to be in town for a conference at the Orange County Convention Center from Wednesday to Friday and then stay over Memorial Day weekend. My family will be driving down to join me and make a getaway weekend of it. I researched all the primo places to stay but couldn't stomach the $200/night rates for many of them. The most important feature for my two pre-teen daughters was the pool, so this ruled out many of the 2-3* hotels without being able to specify specific properties (obviously not possible with Priceline/Hotwire).

Based on the material on this board I figured I'd take a stab at Priceline and stick with the "Resort" request level. It seemed like a sure bet I'd end up at the Wyndham Palace on WDW Lake Buena Vista area... but it was not to be. :)

I followed the (re)bid process outlined and had the following experience:

$51 for WDW vicinity only and ONLY a "Resort" classification

$67 adding Winter Park

$71 adding West Disney

$76 adding Kissimmee

$81 adding Florida Mall

$86 adding Maitland

$90 adding Orlando East

$101 adding Orlando Airport

... with the bid accepted for Omni Orlando Resort ChampionsGate.

OmniHotels.com is showing rooms at this property starting at $193/nt and going up quickly, Travelocity"]Travelocity shows only a $199/nt rate, and Expedia is offering $133/nt. on a "3 or more" special. It looks like I got quite a deal. :) Yet, I'm experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse, knowing that the Grosvenor in Lake Buena Vista is offering $99/nt without penalty - even though there can be no comparison with the Omni.

I've never had a bad experience with Omni hotels, so I am just hoping that the extra taxi charges back and forth to the conference center won't negate the savings of buying via Priceline <sigh!>.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Thank you for sharing your winning bid with the rest of the board... hopefully the location will work ok for your needs.

You may want to look into renting a car as car rentals in Florida (especially for a multi-day rental) are very inexpensive... may end up being much less than a taxi (doublecheck also if the hotel charges for parking as you need to know your net cost in order to compare apples-to-apples).

You can use our Car Rental Checker to quickly get an overview of rates and then proceed from there. Also note that we are affiliates of a few car rental companies which you can find in our SUPPORT PAGE and you can help support this board with your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You may want to look into renting a car as car rentals in Florida (especially for a multi-day rental) are very inexpensive... may end up being much less than a taxi (doublecheck also if the hotel charges for parking as you need to know your net cost in order to compare apples-to-apples).

Hmm... the Omni website states service from the airport for Taxi Service - approximately $58 one way. Even the shuttle bus is $29 each way. Renting a car for $25 or so per day sure seems the way to go. Now I just need to find a rental company that would allow me to pickup at the airport and return the car close to the resort since my wife will be arriving with our car by the time the conference is over on Friday. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Just have your wife pick you up at the airport, after you drop off the car

also, you and your children will not be disappointed in the Omni, it's spectacular

the Grovsner and Wyndham palace are dumps compared to that 1

since it's just yourself needing the rental car, i would go back to priceline and bid $15/day for a midsize car

Priceline cars have to dropped off at the same site they are picked up at. that is what they told me, I wanted to pick up at airport and drop off at Sheraton Studio City hotel. Alamo was where we got the car and there is an alamo outlet at the SSC.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]