Priceline Hotel: 4* Amsterdam (City Center-Museum Quarter) Nh Amsterdam Centre

gnaij
By gnaij,
in

4* at $80 has been rejected.

For the same dates and area, Hotwire is giving $209 for 4* and no 5* option. Splitting this up:

-> Sunday, 5/22: $187 for 5* and $141 for 4*

-> Monday, 5/23: $214 for 4* and no 5* option

Am I bidding too low? Is splitting up the priceline bid a good idea? We could also leave town early, and spend Monday night in Antwerp or Brussels, closer to our next destination.

"Am I bidding too low? "

I would say you are.

While you are not bidding over a weekend you are still in a busy period and $80 would be about the lowest win I would expect to see these days. Well on a really good day.

For a 4 star my guess is that between $81 and $95. With luck by $90.

EDITED:

I saw one win a few days before your stay----also a non weekend----that was a $89 4 star win.

I think you could be close.

$95 has been rejected.

The rack rate for Nh Amsterdam Centre is 128 euros for 5/22 and 238 euros for 5/23. Do this and the hotwire rate above suggest that I should bid only for 5/22 instead? If we take off 5/23 from Amsterdam we will spend it in Antwerp or Brussels (since we'd be leaving town the next morning anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

I bid both nights up to $110 and was still rejected.

I bid the night of May 22 only, and got 2 rooms in the Nh Amsterdam Centre for $80 each!

Question: The rack rate for the Nh Amsterdam Centre is 118.68 EUR for May 22 and 238.28 EUR for May 23 (I think there's a 5% city tax not included in these rates). So I suppose pressing the "Extend your stay for the same nightly rate" button won't do me any good? If they can't give me the same nightly rate, will they be able to offer me something less than 238.28 EUR+5%? Or would it help for me to wait to see if the rate for the second night goes down between now and mid-May?

Of course, I used the PRICELINE link on this board to start the purchase.

gnaij

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding :)

So I suppose pressing the "Extend your stay for the same nightly rate" button won't do me any good? If they can't give me the same nightly rate, will they be able to offer me something less than 238.28 EUR+5%?
You will not get a diffrent offer. You'll just get a no.
Or would it help for me to wait to see if the rate for the second night goes down between now and mid-May?
Sorry to say that we can't answer this. Rates can go down but the can also increase.

If you need any additional help with this stay so just start a new thread.

We hope you're satisfied with the outcome and will like the hotel.

Enjoy your stay.

Yellowdog.

In general what we are seeing in Amsterdam this year is that prices are going up the later you leave it. A prime example is the 'Holiday Inn South' thread where the bidder turned down a $145 counter offer in the central area and later ended up paying $161 in Amsterdam South.

Yes, things can change but my advice to you or anyone would be to id early as long as you are sure of your dates.

So you don't think that room prices will go down as they get desperate to book up all their rooms, the closer it gets??

In many major markets this year, the prices (especially in the Spring period) have (atl least gradually) trended up; those who try to risk waiting until the last minute may be disappointed to find that prices continue ramping higher.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

So you don't think that room prices will go down as they get desperate to book up all their rooms, the closer it gets??

Indeed Tanya, that is what I am saying. Our experience this spring in Amsterdam is that, particularly at the weekends, prices are getting steeper the closer to the date you get.

• 1 month later...

I'm back with some updates.

NH Amsterdam Centre was overbooked on 5/23 by a corporate conference so I was not able to extend. We ended up staying in another city that night.

The hotel charged a "City Tax" (charged at all lodgings in Amsterdam) of 2.88 euros per room. I contacted Priceline customer service after the trip and had this charge refunded by the hotel a few days later. This was neither a hotel-specific nor an incidental charge, and should have been included in the "taxes and fees" paid to Priceline. While waiting in the lobby I saw two other parties who booked through Priceline being charged the same, so if you are staying at this hotel, you might want to watch out for this.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]