Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Downtown-Harbor Island) Manchester Grant Hyatt

chauchat
By chauchat,
in

This is my first time using Priceline. It was scary, but I felt well prepared thanks to this forum.

I bid $61 first and got the "you unbelievable cheapskate! Almost no one has won with a bid that low..." notice, so I raised it to $65 (not an exact representation of their message).

They countered with $85 and a note that said something like "we almost never do this, but...try this rate. I rejected that offer and rebid $70, adding Coronado (knowing that there is almost no hotel there that would accept such a low bid, and willing to slum it if they surprise me).

My $70 bid was accepted for downtown San Diego. Yay.

But here's the thing: I was so cocky, feeling so sure that I would be placed at the Westgate Hotel, since that property has consistently accepted lowball bids for the past few months. I really wanted that hotel--it's where my husband and I spent our wedding night, and we are now in an extended celebration of our 25th anniversary. I really love that hotel, and it would have been romantic.

The moderators do advise us to be open-minded!

I'm sure the Hyatt will be lovely. I look forward to our stay. I just think it's funny to have been so certain about getting that particular hotel based on the research I'd done, and to have been suprised :)

It's really a great price for what appears to be a property in a good location with beautiful views... it's a slightly different part of the city, so it will be an adventure :)

Also, I now see why people love auctions. It's quite a rush while you are waiting to see what will happen.

Thanks again for your help!

We stayed at the Hyatt in September and are hoping we get the chance to stay there again in July (instead of the Westgate) when we start our bidding.

It's an amazing property - they have a beautiful hotel (one of the largest Hyatt's I believe). The pool/hot tub area is great - it's really relaxing overlooking the bay. It's not far from DT/metro train either - we ended up walking/taking the train all over the city from there.

I'm sorry you couldn't get the hotel you wanted for sentimental reasons, but I'm sure that aside you'll have an incredible time at the Hyatt!

Thanks for your kind wishes!

They were so kind to upgrade us to a room on a higher floor so that we would have a view. It's really fun to see the city from a different vantage point.

It's rainy today, but I might try the hot tub anyway.

I really want to check out the lounge on the 40th floor! I've heard it's got simply amazing views.

I can see why you would prefer this hotel to the Westgate. I'm not sorry that we are here. We did have one of our daughters drop us off so we could avoid the $34 a night parking fee. There is much within walking distance, and as you point out, the trolley and train are close.

Hope you are able to come here this summer!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]