Priceline Hotel: 4*/5* Amsterdam City Center/Museum Quarter help

tanyaviola
By tanyaviola,
in

Have been bidding on a 4 & 5* hotel in the Amsterdam City Center/Museum Quarter for a while now. Always rejected. I got up to $95. I know hotels are expensive there. But I also see now that the first night can be up to $100 more than the next 2 nights (as it's a Saturday night).

I'm not sure if I should try bidding in 2 parts, once for the 1st and then for the next two nights together. Could I get a nice hotel pretty cheaply for the 2nd two nights? If so, I might try to do that. Should I bid for that first, and then the first night? Or should I just try to find a hotel price on my own for the first night, since it's pretty pricey anyway. I see I can't really find anything under $120/night at least.

Any suggestions?

T.

Actually, because the pricing is inconsistent is exactly why you should split your bid. It is at least likely the rates the hotels given to PL are similarly inconsistent.

I'd bid the less expensive two nights first, starting low enough to be sure to not overbid for them. When I was successful, I'd first check to see if PL offered me an extension. Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to check. And even if there was an extension, it is likely to be for a higher rate.

Then I'd bid the more expensive single night. With the savings from the first two nights, I can afford to be more aggressive on this third night. And if I got really stuck on this night I'd look at other options like a lower star level or another zone or camping with a friend or .....

Undoubtedly you will have to move, but consider that just an opportunity to see a slightly different part of AMS.

Romelle

I know thereuare posted a really nice mathematical example of how the above works. If I see it again I'll mail it to you. It does make sense.

And using different dates constitutes a bid change with PL. You don't have to wait for a new 24 hour time block. You can do it right now, even if you did the other bidding a few hours ago.

Ok I see. But the problem is which 2 nights would be cheaper?? I've seen it both ways on all different sites. Sometimes the 1st 2 nights are more expensive and sometimes it's the last 2 nights....if I bid the last 2 nights first, there's no way to extend, because obviously I'd then need only the night before.

I know I'll have to move...unless I'm able to book the other nights with the 1st hotel I win, directly.

PS-has anyone stayed at the 3* Park Plaza VondelPark that's listed?? I don't see any other 3* that's been won, but who knows.

Why not try each of the following date ranges:

06/11/11-06/14/11 then

06/11/11-06/13/11 then

06/12/11-06/14/11

... but at current prices i think a 4* or higher hotel at $120 or lower may be a tough win for any of the date ranges, but certainly worth a shot.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I know...my range is low! Hahaha.....will already be spending a ton on this trip. Seems Amsterdam is super expensive. Luckily, we'll only be there 3 nights. But still....

At what price point do you think I should start splitting up the trip? My latest bid was $95 for both 4* & 5* for the full trip. I can't bid again until tomorrow anyway.

OR...since we're heading to Brussels afterwards, I wonder if I should just do the 11th to 13th in Amsterdam and try to book something in another town for the last night. Maybe Delft or Utrecht...???? Although I don't think PL has name your own price for either of those towns.

The Netherlands only has bidding in Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

You really can bid the different date ranges right now, if you want to. It is a change and that makes it OK with PRICELINE.

Romelle

Yeah, but since I was still around $95, I better go up a bit first before splitting up the dates. I probably won't get anything, split or not, for under $100 something. Just wondering at what price I should start bidding for the split. $110?

"Maybe we should just stay in Rotterdam the whole time.... "

IMO-----that would truly be a bad idea. A really bad idea.

With PL this summer and spring it has been the weekends that are more expensive. Of course assuming the PL hotels do not have some big conference going on as far as a monday.

If you are going to split and that is something I would do-----the weekend is Fri and Sat night. Sunday tends to be less expensive as does Mon-Thursday.

Check out the rates for the NH Amsterdam Centre as far as a 4*. That is the hotel that normally shows up via NYOP.

As far as a 5*----harder to tell----lots more hotels are in play at one time or another.

My 4 star bid range? $80-$95. If you do not have a weekend in the bid you "should" get a win.

For the weekend? $95 and up.

....if I bid the last 2 nights first, there's no way to extend, because obviously I'd then need only the night before.

You can extend in EITHER direction, before or after.

But only in one direction, and only up to the number of nights of the original bid.

Romelle

You can extend in EITHER direction, before or after.

But only in one direction, and only up to the number of nights of the original bid.

Romelle

Really? I thought it was only for after....thank you!!

When I said stay in Rotterdam, I didn't actually mean STAY in Rotterdam...I meant, sleep in Rotterdam. But, maybe I should try the 2nd two nights first (cheaper)??? And then if I CAN, add the 1st night? Otherwise rebid for the first night once I win the 2nd two..??

Here's what I typed in to see what it would say was the "retail" price of a hotel for these nights:

06/11/11-06/12/11 5* 294, 4* $292

06/12/11-06/14/11 5* $320, 4* $292

06/11/11-06/13/11 5* $567, 4* $389

06/13/11-06/14/11 5* $389, 4* $281

So it looks like it's better to bid on the 1st night separately from the 2nd two nights. But which should I bid first? (So that I can try to add the extra nights after I win)

When researching i would first check each nite individually, then use that information to check if things change when you bundle the nites together, so first:

6/11-6/12

6/12-6/13

6/13-6/14

Then also check:

6/11-6/13

6/12-6/14

HOWEVER, the retail rates shown by PRICELINE are often inaccurate i wouldn't use this information in determining a big amount or the grouping of dates.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, here's where I am so far:

Bidding on the complete stay: 06/11/11-06/14/11 up to $110 for 4 & 5*. Still rejected.

Bidding on the 2nd two days: 06/12/11-06/14/11 up to $85 so far for 4 & 5*. Will keep going on this one.

How far should I go with the full stay bid?? As well as the split bid?

T.

What is the best rate you're able to find at a 4* or better hotel for each of the date ranges above? Don't use the 'suggested retail' price provided by PRICELINE when formulating a bit... try Expedia (not the best option but a time saver vs. going to each hotel's own website)

What is the best rate you're able to find at a 4* or better hotel for each of the date ranges above? Don't use the 'suggested retail' price provided by PRICELINE when formulating a bit... try Expedia (not the best option but a time saver vs. going to each hotel's own website)

Well, I just looked at Expedia, and the average rates for 4*'s during that time are between $300-$350. Ouch. 3*'s are around $200. Has anyone bid for a 3*? I see the listing for the Park Plaza Vondelpark. But I don't see anyone who's bid or one it for quite a while now. At least it's only 3 nights.....I got 5 nights in Brussels 4* for $90/night. What if I go the Rotterdam route for the last night? We have to travel through there anyway to get to Brussels and we did want to see it. Probably that first night is still going to get me though....darn Saturday night. Was originally going to be a Sunday night, but the overnight train was totally booked, so I had to go a day earlier.

As far as I can tell there is no 3 star AMS data anywhere. not for the past several years. But there are 3 star AMS wins. Just no clue as to dates or hotels. Just that there were wins.

I got a 3 star maybe 5 years ago. A fine hotel it was.

But what hotels are in play now and for what price? You would have to bid to find out.

I think I'm going to have to start bidding on a 3 star. I'm up to $115 for full stay for 4 & 5*. I can probably go up a little more. Well, it's not like I have a choice!!

Splitting up the bids doesn't seem to be doing much thus far. I'm up to $95 for the last 2 nights and tried bidding $100 for the first 2.

I can appreciate your frustration/desperation. Been there, when something I really wanted to do was financially a little deeper than I'd want to go.

I have to admit, my elder adult son usually stays in the AMS International Youth Hostel. He insists he meets more interesting people that way than in the nicer hotels?? This solution not for everybody - well, not for most - but thought I'd mention it.

Moving on....do you have the airport area in your bidding? The train to the city is right in the terminal.

Have you looked at your dates one night at a time in Hotwire? Something might strike you there. There was one area that was quite a bit less $$ than the others. I don't know the geography or local transport options for it though. Since Hotwire tends to be a little more expensive than Priceline, it at least suggests you have to be close with your bidding. One doesn't always get those counter-offers first as a clue one is getting close.

You do need to remind yourself you still have 3 months here. The currency exchange rate between the dollar and the euro could improve. Lots of things could happen.

And finally, always a good idea to book a cancelable back-up reservation. There are specific hotel booking sites under the Support/Travel Links tab above. Also, www.venere.com often has cancelable listings, but the policies are hotel-specific so you have to read the fine print. I saw an NH on it at $95. Out a bit, but it said they rent bicycles and there was a bus stop minutes away. Cancelable, too.

Romelle

Thanks for the suggestions! We were trying to avoid youth hostels, although I did look at them when I started. My husband and I are traveling together and we'd want a private room with a bathroom, so that's already pretty expensive, even in a hostel! And they tend to be pretty noisy. We like to be able to sleep :)

I was thinking about possibly adding the airport area to the list. The thing is, I got a 5 day train pass for Benelux. I don't want to have to use it everyday, just to get a short distance. I suppose I wouldn't use it anyway for a 15 minute train ride, but that's also an extra expense. We LOVE walking, so even if we were just outside the canal ring, we'd walk it....and not take any trams.

I know I should book a hotel that can be canceled. Even though it can be canceled, I hate to see that price....but I should do it. I've pulled up the Google maps and just clicked on every possible hotel to see what the rates were.

Is it really a straight shot from the airport to the center of town? I wonder though how close to the airport the hotels are and what that area is like. Is there anything walkable in that area? I guess I should do a bit more research.

I think the plan should be to hang out in Amsterdam & surroundings on the 11th & 12th. I wonder if we should only stay 2 nights and try to add a night to our Brussels winning bid (if we can). And go there on the 13th, spending the day in Rotterdam, on the way.

T.

I read about some youngster looking for a bed in a hostel dorm room for this summer.

A search brought up the prices.

Some of those single beds in large dorm rooms were going for over $50 a night. The range was pretty much $40-$60 for their dates.

Keep that in mind as you find your bids on 3 and 4 and 5 star hotels going up higher than you think they should.

It is all relative as to what is truly expensive.

Trains run every 10 minutes (airport train schedule) from platforms 1 and 2 in the main arrival plaza and cost € 3.60 for a single journey to downtown.

Less frequent service at night.

I definitely wouldn't burn part of a train pass on this situation.

The airport hotels generally just have free shuttles to and from the airport on some sort of regular schedule. 10 -15 minute rides?

Before you add the airport zone, you might look up those hotels in the reviews here (tab above), or actually go to their web sites. I'm sure you've found the list of hotels other bidders have reported - first post in this Priceline - Other Countries section.

The NH hotel I saw on Venere had free cancelation.

Romelle

Ok, so far I'm up to $130/nt for the full 3 nights, all rejected. Did $115/nt for the 1st two nights, rejected. And $105/nt for the 2nd two nights, rejected. Guess I'll keep going up for a bit. Might consider getting a hotel in Haarlem, since it's pretty close and I wanted to see Haarlem anyway.

Looks like some of the hotels by the airport don't have free shuttles, and they're pretty expensive each way. So if I bid, I may not get one with a free shuttle.

Well I tentatively booked a b&b in Haarlem for the three nights for around $130/night.....full refund if I cancel before. I've already bid up to $135 for Amsterdam. I may go up to $145....we'll see. The good thing with PRICELINE though is that your price stays the same! Hahaha.....with the exchange rates, you never know, booking directly with a hotel or any site where you don't have to prepay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]