Priceline Hotel: *3 1/2 DT/Soho/Financial district 5/20-5/24 FAILED

sfmichaela
By sfmichaela,
in

I tried bidding on a 3 1/2 star hotel in downtown/soho/financial district and failed. i saw that someone won a bid for $79 at the World Center Hotel for the dates i am looking for. The dates that i am looking for are 5/20 thru 5/24

I tried the following combinations and came up failed:

Downtown/soho/financial district - $80

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - 85

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - 86

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - queensboro - 91

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - queensboro - upper east side - 101

any advice?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Was the previous win for the exact same date range (both checkin and checkout) as your stay OR did just some of their dates overlap with your dates?

What is your maximum bid for this stay? Do you need to be Downtown or are other zones (such as in midtown) acceptable as well?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The dates for the previous win are from May 15 thru May 23 so the dates are not the same they just overlap for one day. The maximum bid right now is around 130 a night. I do not need to stay in the DT area. open to anything below central park.

I am going to try bidding again today. How does the counter offer work?

I tried again bidding on a 3 1/2 star hotel in downtown/soho/financial district and failed. The dates that i am looking for are 5/20 thru 5/24

Downtown/soho/financial district - $85

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - 90

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - 96

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - queensboro - 101

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - queensboro - upper east side - 102

I tried bidding on a 3 1/2 star hotel in downtown/soho/financial district and failed. i saw that someone won a bid for $79 at the World Center Hotel for the dates i am looking for. The dates that i am looking for are 5/20 thru 5/24

Downtown/soho/financial district - $90

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - 101

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - 111

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - queensboro - 116

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - queensboro - upper east side - 121

Failed again on 3/3/11. I see that other people are winning bids for less. What am I doing wrong? Anyone have any suggestions?

You are not doing anything wrong. Unfortunately, if your bids are not being accepted, then there is something going on on your dates that is resulting in higher rates. Are you seeing any listings of interest on HOTWIRE?

The doubletree NYC financial district comes up at $182.43 and that is a 3 1/2 star

Downtown/soho/financial district - $91

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - 96

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - 101

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - queensboro - 106

Downtown/soho/financial district - Coney - long island city - queensboro - upper east side - 116

Failed again on 3/7/11.

Sorry to hear that your bids have not been accepted. Inventory for these dates may have changed, as regular and HOTWIRE rates are a bit on the high side (and a few of the listings in the Downtown-Soho zone are grey regular rate listings.) Unfortunately, given the rates that I'm seeing for these dates, the bid required is going to be at least mildly higher.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

The dates for the previous win are from May 15 thru May 23 so the dates are not the same they just overlap for one day.

While i haven't looked at either set of dates specifically, and i'm guessing that rates have changed since the other user had won, your dates and other other user's dates do differ by more than 'just' one day. Take the following scenario:

5/15-5/20 = $120/nite

5/20-5/23 = $200/nite

Somebody bidding 5/15-5/23 may only need a bid of $150 to win (the weighted average of 5 nites @ $120 and 3 nites @ $200) whereas somebody bidding just 5/20-5/23 would need to bid at least $200 to be successful.

Then add to the scenario the nite of 5/24 could be substantially more than either of the previous date ranges and you can see how 5/15-5/23 may not be as indicative of 5/20-5/24 as you may have thought. However, at $79 for this time of year i think $79 may have been a pricing mistake which has since been corrected.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]