BOS Boston --> SFO San Francisco Virgin America

Thespian
By Thespian,
in

I had read that Priceline was no longer a promising option for airfare deals, but decided to give it a try after reading about the "infinite rebid" strategy. I started with dates of 3/20-3/25 and entered a bid of $200 ($230 all-in). Immediately Priceline urged me to raise my bid "substantially." As with hotels, I suspected that they would accept a bid lower than they implied, but I didn't want to spend hours on this, so I revised my bid to $210 ($240 all-in) before committing, figuring it would still be too low and I'd have to rebid.

Instead of an outright rejection, I got a screen that said that my bid wasn't accepted, but that if I could live with one of a number of changes to my parameters (list supplied), I could have my ticket for X dollars. One possibility: if I could switch my dates to 3/21-3/26, I could get it for $230 ($260 all-in). Well, those were the dates I'd started shopping with (before trying Priceline), and they still worked for me, so I bit. Lo and behold, I got great flight times on Virgin America (840a-1220p, 735a-415p) - an itinerary I'd seen openly priced at $319. I didn't get 40% off, or even 30%, but I did save almost $60. I'm paying less than I did a year ago... I'm happy.

Used the BetterBidding link to PRICELINE, of course.

Congratulations on your success!

I wouldn't say that PRICELINE is not a promising option for airfare, but the deals are far and fewer between, and the discounts not nearly as great as we typically see on hotels.

Glad to see you're happy with the results and the flight times work well for your itinerary... are these non-stop flights or what city to you connect in?

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Have a great trip!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]