Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Dupont - Woodley Park) Omni Shoreham

golfmom
By golfmom,
in

We are arriving DCA on 6/22/05 and will be staying DC until 6/27/05. First choice is Crystal City. Is it reasonable to bid for all days at once? Thinking opening bid of $50 with one free rebid (Springfield?), if rejected going to $55 on rebid. If rejected again (and not taking it personally :) ), thinking of splitting stay to 6/22 -24 and 6/24 - 27, again starting at $50, at least for the weekend. Weekday rates range from $179 (Doubletree) to $265 (both Marriotts). Weekends are $89 (Doubletree) to $147 (Sheraton).

I know the weekday rates may be a problem . . . what would you suggest for starting bid? Am I bidding too early for this trip?

I think you have a good strategy, although this far out, if I were bidding I'd try a lowball of $40 for the hell of it. Priceline vacation packages is showing 3* availability in Crystal City for your dates, including the Hyatt, so that's encouraging. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to get all 5 nights in one bid.

Given you have so much time, I wouldn't split the bid so quickly unless you really don't mind changing hotels at all. Even if you only see it as a minor inconvenience, i wouldn't do it this early in the bid process.

I would bid as follows:

3* Crystal City

Bid $46, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $51.

If the above is rejected i would wait 72 hours and...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $56.

If that is rejected i would wait 10-14 days and start over again with the original bid amounts (and following up 72 hours later with the 2nd bid amounts). If tha this rejected, wait another 10-14 days and repeat the process. NOTE: this is not suggesting you raise you bid after each 2 week waiting period... you shouldn't be bidding more than $56/nite this early with the strategy above.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Keep us updated as to your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the help TravelGuy and thereuare. I tried the $40 lowball (through SavingsBarn) rejected, added Springfield and went to $45, also rejected. I have to book 12 nights total because of back and forth to Williamsburg and Monticello, but I wanted to get the DC chunk locked in first. We're paying full price for a B&B in Williamsburg so I figure to fit those 3 days in when all else is in place -- though I can't wait to long or the B&B will be booked. It will be an expensive trip -- we've taken each of our sons to DC when they turn 13, but this son (our last :) ) is a golfer, and not a great tourist, so we'll have to spend at least one day teeing it up. Will try again in 72 hours at $50 and let you know the outcome.

Tried & failed with 72 hour rebid today:

bid $46 Crystal City 3* rejected;

added Springfield and bid $51, rejected.

Decided to try Conv Ctr/Cap Hill 3* so started new bid at $46, rejected; added Springfield and bid $48, rejected;

added Crystal City and bid $52, also rejected.

I'm going to wait about 10 days and try again unless there's another strategy you might suggest. Thanks

Thanks, that's a good suggestion but at this point we've decided we'd rather be closer to National Mall than farther away, especially with regard to Metro proximity. I'd planned on bidding Crystal City again on Saturday, including some 4* in CH/CC, Downtown and Dupont Circle as necessary. I appreciate your suggestions. Is mid-June a high-rate time?

Tried 3* Crystal City first at $50, rebid $56 rejected.

Then 4* Dupont/WP at $65, rebid $79, rebid $86, rebid $95 rejected.

Tried 4* CC/CH starting at $85, rebid $89, rebid $92, rebid $96 rejected.

Then 4* Downtown/WH started at $70, rebid $75, rebid $80, rebid $85 rejected.

Tried 3* CC/CH bid $62, Priceline countered with "raise $17". I didn't want to go up that much there so added Springfield and bid $69 but alas . . . not enough. :)

There are a few street festivals going on around the Smithsonian on these dates (Carribean Carnival, National BBQ, Folklife Festival) and rates seem pretty high. I'm willing to go up to $100 for a 4* and maybe about $80 for a 3* in Crystal City. Given the dates, is this a reasonable expectation and I just need to be patient and try again, or should I bite the bullet and (1) start higher than this time or (2)be prepared to split dates?

The DoubleTree has a very high rate for the 22nd and a slightly high rate for the 23rd... but low rates the other nites.

The other 3* hotels in the area may not have released inventory yet as the stay is still 4+ months away.... of course there is no telling if or when they will release inventory.

I would either:

1) Book a cancellable back-up for stay

2a) Split the dates, trying 6/23-6/27 using the same strategy used in your other thread. If that is rejected then try 6/24-6/27.

2b) If successful with either of these dates then immediately try again for the remaining dates, using the same strategy (if you win it will almost certainly be a different hotel)

2c) Book a cancellable backup for whatever dates remain

Adding other zones is an option, but I would not raise my bid unless you absolutely refuse to change hotels... doing so would cause you to overbid for the 'low priced' dates mentioned earlier.

Hope you followed all the above. Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...

Saw on TOB today that someone had won the Omni for $91 with dates similar to mine, but Dupont area was not hubby's first choice . . . so I started today (via Savingsbarn) with 4* CC/CH at $80 and went up to $93 with my five rebids.

Then new bid for WH/DT 4*with an $85 bid and went up again to $91 using 2 free rebids.

Bid $85, then rebid $88 and got the "add $22 to your bid" offer, rejected and started new bid (adding Arlington) at $91 -- which was accepted.

Omni Shoreham Hotel

2500 Calvert Street Northwest

Washington, District Of Columbia 20008

202-234-0700

Your Offer Price: $91.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 5

Subtotal: $455.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $75.15

Total Charges: $530.15

I love this board! Thanks for all your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]