Priceline Hotel: Resort San Juan (Rio Grande-Humacao) Gran Melia

BigCheese
By BigCheese,
in

Many of the Minneapolis, Minnesota area schools have spring break March 31 - April 9.

There is not a clear pattern, but a few of the hotels have rates a little higher on the weekend of your time span (I looked on Expedia and the retail side of Priceline). IF you are willing to move, splitting your bid into a block of 4 days and 3 days could be an option. While Priceline now does some averaging, this could help in a situation where hotels don't have the full 7 day block of openings, but do have smaller blocks. It would let you explore another area.

The resorts do have those additional "resort fees", but so do some of the lower rated hotels. Probably no avoiding them.

Maybe a tour of the Barcardi Rum Factory?

I'm sure others will be along to answer your other questions.

What a fine way to spend a birthday!

Romelle

Romelle

Thanks for info re school holidays.

Yes I know I may have resort fees + the taxes (which are always a shock for Brits since Uk prices always have tax included so what-you-see is what-you-pay). I don't think I'm brave enough to split the 7 days, wouldn't want to move hotel half way through the week if it all goes belly up.

I'll keep trying but may end up with the Hotwire deal, I think. Not sure if leaving it a while will make it worse or better (probably worse if it is school holidays)

Don't suppose anyone knows if that "Rio Grande" area has a choice of restaurants etc?

Thanks

BigCheese

Don't suppose anyone knows if that "Rio Grande" area has a choice of restaurants etc?

Thanks

BigCheese

I looked up Humacao on Trip Advisor and there is a listing of restaurants in the area:

Chihuahua

Daniel Sea Food

Lyan's Yankees Food

Pura Vica

Restaurante Casa Rustik

Tulio's Sea Food

and a huge list in the general vicinity (up to 23 miles away).

I looked on one of the Resort web sites, the el Conq. .... it claimed to have 23 restaurants right at the resort.

You might look at the reviews under the Hotel Review tab - under P for Puerto Rico first.

Can't speak from personal experience here.

Romelle

The last time I was in PR, the airport taxis to downtown were very tightly regulated - posted flat fees. I don't know about to the resorts.

There actually is a decent network of public buses on the island. Quite the adventure to figure them out and actually ride them, but I'd guess one must go somewhere in the area of that lovely resort.

I hope you will post a review - both goods and bads. I'm curious, and suspect others are also.

Romelle

Congratulations on your success!

While a very good deal for this resort, i don't believe it is that close to Downtown San Juan... you may want to look into the local bus service from the area (which could be an adventure... good or bad depending upon your perspective) OR renting a car. From what i can gather Avis is located on property, but you may want to look at the cost of renting a car upon your arrival at the airport for the week, as i imagine the on-site rental company will charge "captive audience" rates. If you do decide to rent a car note that driving in Puerto Rico can be fairly aggressive, similar to many big cities like NYC or Chicago.

If you opt for a taxi always ask the dispatch at the airport the approximate cost of the trip and/or the hotel bel hops/concierge the approximate cost of the trip. I've had PR taxi drivers try to inflate the charges on me on more than one occaision (although this recently happened to me the States too... may be i just look gullible :) )

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks everyone for advice.

Thereuare, Yes I know this is well away from San Juan but I decided this was my best bet to get a good deal.

Haven't quite worked out the transport side of things, but will do some homework before we go - trying to avoid a week's hire car, if possible. Maybe a taxi to resort?

Anyway I will certainly write a post-holiday review to let you guys know how it went. The price certainly seems good for this Resort.

Thanks again

BigCheese

BigCheese,

U should rent a car if you want to explore the area. Then take into account that you will have to pay $16/day for parking fees (unless you rent with Avis onsite, then you can park for free-if there is an available spot). A cab back to the city is probably going to cost you $40 (estimate) one way. Weekly rentals aren't too pricey. I was able to get one for $120 for five days. Driving isn't too bad, just be aware and know where you're going. A GPS is essential--although I do remember traveling out of the San Juan area and it came up as a blank screen on Rte 187 (heading out of Isla Verde). Pick up a map at a Walgreens and you'll be ok.

I too have a room there for a night in March and have done some research on the area. Food is expensive and near ridiculous onsite. The beachfront isn't very swimmable and there isn't any kind of nightly entertainment. The only tour company that travels from Rio Grande is called Dragonfly...from what I've read, there needs to be a minimum of 4 ppl for a tour to occur. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com.

• 2 months later...

Hi BetterBidding

Full review of Resort under heading "Great hotel - a bit remote, you need a car" posted 2nd April 2011. We did get a car for the whole time and it made the trip very good, we were able to go for less expensive meals and explore the island at a low cost.

The resort was great but of course, 4 star hotel prices. An excellent tip is to join the

Thanks for the follow-up and glad you enjoyed your stay.

I can't seem to find your review, if you didn't, please post it in our Hotel Review section so we can add a link to it next to this listing in the hotel list.

Good luck resolving the additional fee... let us know how it all turns out.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Last post on this trip.

It turns out that the extra charge was a Resort Fee of $12.32 per night. I can not remember seeing that this would be the case. so it was a surprise to me. I know quite a number of Resorts do charge a resort fee, but in my minds eye I had read that this one did not. I knew it had a Parking fee, though.

So the end result is if you get the Gran Malia Rio Grand, Puerto Rico beware you will get stung for an extra $12.32 per night resort fee and, if you have a car, an additional $15 + tax Parking fee.

Still it was a lovely hotel at a good price............

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]