Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* NYC (MTC) The Jewel

liron&maor
By liron&maor,
in

Hi,

My hubby and I are planning our honeymoon and will be in NYC from 28 Apr-05 May (7 nights).

Out top budget is 110$ (not include tax), first time in NYC for the both of us so we want good location and nice clean place.

Few questions:

1.This is very busy season - should I bid now?

2.What do you think we should bid on in this budget? We prefer TSD,MTE,MTW,MSG but will be happy to hear about more recommended areas.

Any other tips will be great!!

Thanks!

What type of star rating are you seeking for this stay, as $110 is not likely going to go too far at this time of year.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

PS- please don't forget to update your Hotwire Las Vegas and Hotwire Palm Beach threads with whatever you end up doing for those legs of your trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I guess I will get 3* (top) for this price but the higher the better:)

Is there any nice 2.5*-3* hotels in the areas that I mentioned (clean,good location)?

can you suggest any strategy? I have read here some examples and I underatand how the re-bid thing is working

Regarding the open HOTWIRE issues-I will update then as soon as I will book te hotels.

With PRICELINE there is no way to target or increase your chances of landing this specific property. Also, note that if you decide to try bidding for this hotel, one of the other possibilities is the Millenium UN, which while a good hotel which gets good reviews, the location can be a bit less desirable for the average visitor since it can be about a 15 minute walk to the subway. If you're trying to target this property in particular you may want to consider HOTWIRE, even though it may cost you a little more than the equivalent PRICELINE bid.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the moment i think $110 is going to be a tough win for a 3* or better rated hotel, so i would be including all of the zones which you find acceptable.

For the average user the following usually all work out quite well:

CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTW, TS

At the 3* level MTE and/or CPS may/may not be acceptable based upon the following:

MTE - has some hotels which are a 15 minute walk to the subway... for some this is fine, for others it's too far

CPS - has the Hudson Hotel which generally gets decent reviews except for the notoriously small rooms... even by NYC standards. Again, acceptable for some while not for others.

Downtown can be acceptable as well, for the right price, but it's too early in my opinion to include this area in your bidding.

At the moment i don't think SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is going to help you very much.

Let us know which zone(s) you're willing to bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

As of last report, the Hudson is currently 3.5* rated by PRICELINE, but the star rating you select is the minimum you're willing to accept and you could be upgraded to a higher rated hotel on your 3* bid (which is why you need to be willing to accept anything at the 3* level or higher). I'd start with the following:

Select 3* Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTW...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS, CPS, MTE...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS, ESB, MSG, MTW...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea, CPS, MTE...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea, CPS, MSG, MTW...

Bid $98, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS, ESB, MTE...

Bid $98, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea, ESB, MTE, MTW...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS, CPS, MSG...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea, CPS, MSG, MTW, TS...

Bid $103, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea, CPS, MSG, MTW, ESB...

Select 3* Chelsea, CPS, MSG, MTW, MTE...

Select 3* TS, ESB, MTE, Chelsea, CPS...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS, ESB, MTE, Chelsea, MSG...

Select 3* TS, ESB, MTE, Chelsea, MTW...

Select 3* TS, ESB, MTE, Chelsea, CPS, MSG...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS, ESB, MTE, Chelsea, CPS, MTW...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS, ESB, MTE, Chelsea, CPS, MSG, MTW...

Bid $110

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi,

I tried it all up to 100$ (cus this is the new max budget for now..) but no sucsses :)

What do u think I should do next:

Wait and try again in a month or so (Im a little bit afraid to wait cus its a very busy time of the year) OR

Try to bid again in the same method and same zones but for 2.5* OR

Try another areas such as Soho or HK,UWS,UES (I have heard that the soho is a very cool area, but still,its far from the center) for 3.5*/3*?

PS-How is the 2.5* hotels in those areas?

I don't usually recommend bidding the 2.5* or lower levels in NYC... while there may be some hotels at this star level which meet your needs, there may be others which do not, and with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE you can't choose which type you will get. :)

However, it's personal preference as to whether you want to increase your budget or include other nearby zones (or, in light of the above, lower your star rating) If you really want a 3* in one of the previously bid zones i'd bid up to $110 as even this would be a very good deal for this time of year in NYC, imo.

• 2 months later...

Hey!

Just want to share what we ended up doing-

Two days ago I booked the first 3 days (04/28-05/01) through Quickbook "secret sale" ( if you want details I will be happy to share)

Today I saw the following HOTWIRE deal in midtown central for 05/01-05/05:

3.5* Midtown center for 121$

Amenities:

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

95% recommended

4/5 on TripAdvisor

We got The Jewel (Facing Rockefeller Center)

(I have to mention that the rating on TripAdvisor is 4.5/5..)

Summery:

Rate per night: $121.00

Nights:4

Rooms:1

Taxes:$50.32

Occupancy tax:$37.36

Fees:$15.44

Subtotal:$587.12

Trip total:$587.12

Im happy with the result!

Thanks a lot for everything!

See U soon,

Liron

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]