Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millennium-Loop-Grant Park) Palmer House Hilton

CMCWAG
By CMCWAG,
in

Just registered what a great site!! I have read all the re-bid information (thank you!!) and Trying for 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) 11/2-11/5. Before I read the re-bid info here is what I did:

$62 (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) - Rejected

$75 (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) - Rejected

$75 (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) and (North Michigan Ave) - Rejected

Read the Re-bid info, opened a new browser window (although they had my travel dates and info still pre-populated so they knew who I was) to try again

$75 (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) and (Franklin Park) - They did not even try my bid just gave me a list of hotel deals

Is that what happens when you are "kicked out" like I read about? What do I do now? Wait 72 hrs?

Thanks!

Colleen

Ok so I did not get kicked out after all I just needed to click on the "name your own price tab :) However I still had no luck I did the rebid starting at $65 for 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) 11/2-11/5 and went up $5 everytime and added a non 4* location until I was up to $80...

Any advice on what to do next? Should I just keep trying the same thing everyday hoping inventory opens up? By the posts I really thought I could get the Hyatt or Hilton (preferred) for $60-$80

Thanks not sure how to do the ID, It looked like the amenities were they Hyatt, Hilton Sherton...

BUT at this point anything at $162 for 3.5* would have been great! I should not have waited!! Now on HotWire the only thing for Streetervile Mag Mile is 2* for $162 and a 41/2* at $352! Yikes

Can someone tell me in their experience once you see the prices go up do the ever come down again for your dates? I guess I should post this in the HotWire forum now.

Also if I went to the HOTWIRE link through this site and leave it open and then update the page a few hours later do you still get credit?

Please keep all posts regarding this stay within this thread.

What would be your desired max budget per night? HOTWIRE listings for these dates for 3.5*-4*-4.5* are generally $250-350+.

There is no way to know if rates will come down closer to your stay; not sure what is going on for these dates, but it looks as if a convention may be occurring.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

You can't "save" a HOTWIRE listing by keeping the browser open...

After 30 minutes a window will appear that the offerings have changed and you can then choose to either refresh the offerings (at which point HOTWIRE will retrieve whatever is currently offered) OR start a NEW SEARCH.

Also, even inside the 30 minute window the hotel offered could be disappear and when you go to purchase it HOTWIRE will give you a message that the offer is no longer available.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately, with only a few days left until this trip, I don't think there will be too much variation in prices, but I think the biggest problem with this stay is Tuesday night.

Search on HOTWIRE for 11/3-5 ONLY and there is a 4* in the Loop w/fitness, business, internet, restaurant, pool for $90 (the price you see may vary slightly.) That is likely the Palmer House Hilton.

The problem becomes that there's very, very little for Tuesday night. The Hard Rock (also in the Loop) is $289 on GTA Hotels.com.

So,

$289 for 11/2 @ Hard Rock

$90 (x2) for 11/3-5 possible Palmer House on HOTWIRE

__

$469 / 3 nights = $156.33 per night average + tax.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or GTA Hotels.com links to start your purchases and searches.

Colleen,

Along with AaronJB's suggestion of going to Hotwire, there is "splitting your bid" on Priceline. He's identified the likely problem night. If you can keep your Hilton reservation for that night only, you bid the two less expensive nights starting with maybe even something like $80, and incrementing up by $10 for a few of your free rebids, and then up by $5s. As AaronJB's math shows, a couple nights at a reasonable rate would really help your overall average. And the difference would certainly cover a few cab rides.

I did check at the Hilton, and while it will let one book the three nights, when I try for just the 2nd it says it is full. So maybe they won't let you keep just the one night reservation.

If you happen to be flying in, depending upon your schedule, sometimes the first or last night at a much less expensive airport hotel can work.

Romelle

The Hard Rock would be close enough to North Michigan Ave to certainly easily walk up that way if you wanted to, and really not that bad a walk from the Hilton if that is where your destination is. Maybe a $6-7 cab ride (tops) from the HR to the Hilton?

The Palmer would be quite an easy walk (10 min, tops) from the Hilton. Personally, I wouldn't even cab it from the Palmer to the Hilton; it's so walkable that it's not really worth cabbing and waiting for a cab. Do you need to be relatively close to the Hilton all 3 nights? Additionally, the Palmer is one of the largest convention hotels. If you have a convention at the Hilton and your convention is providing transit from other hotels to the Hilton, that transit will most likely stop at the Palmer.

Not sure whether or not they will allow you to keep only part of your original stay at the Hilton - did you book via a convention rate? You could try bidding on PRICELINE for the first night separately, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was no inventory. Worth a try though to see if you could get something any cheaper than $289.

Ok I got it!!! I started at $80 for 11/3-11/5 (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) and I got the Palmer House on my first bid!! - I was so suprised after being rejected sooo long (maybe I should have gone lower!) I am going to a convention at the other Hilton on Michigan so I may stay there at the convention rate I have of about 253 for one night and the other two at the Palmer Hilton. A bit of a pain to move but worth saving $350! You guys are the best and I used the PRICELINE link! THANKS!!

Congrats on your success! :)

Excellent deal for the Palmer; as mentioned earlier that's really a good option in terms of being relatively close to the Hilton and if your convention is offering transit, the Palmer would likely be a stop. Additionally, the area around the Palmer is also quiet at night, but it is more centrally located than the Hilton.

Additionally, if you're looking for a burger during your stay, Hackney's Printers Row is not a far walk from the Hilton. Yolk is a breakfast option not too far South of the Hilton, while there is a Corner Bakery just a few steps East from the main door of the Palmer, at the corner of Wabash and Monroe.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE link.

Enjoy your stay.

Congrats on your success! :)

Excellent deal for the Palmer; as mentioned earlier that's really a good option in terms of being relatively close to the Hilton and if your convention is offering transit, the Palmer would likely be a stop. Additionally, the area around the Palmer is also quiet at night, but it is more centrally located than the Hilton.

Additionally, if you're looking for a burger during your stay, Hackney's Printers Row is not a far walk from the Hilton. Yolk is a breakfast option not too far South of the Hilton, while there is a Corner Bakery just a few steps East from the main door of the Palmer, at the corner of Wabash and Monroe.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE link.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks for all your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]