Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Hyatt Regency

madroz
By madroz,
in

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

This is traditionally a somewhat tougher (although it can vary somewhat from year-to-year) weekend of the year, as there's more than a bit of holiday festivities and "day after Thanksgiving" sale shopping on Michigan Ave. There also have been a couple instances in recent years where there's been a convention during this period.

What would be your desired budget per night and what have you bid up to so far?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I've bid as high as $125 and would prefer to stay under $150 total with taxes. I'm not sure if this is realistic for this time period or not. My absolute max would be $175 a night. Also, I'd like to stay at a 4 star or possibly a 3.5 star. I don't like the hotels that get included in the 3 stars so I don't want to go that low. As a last resort I'd bid the loop area.

Thanks

The problem with this date is Saturday night, which is quite a bit more expensive than Friday night (convention or other event?)

HOTWIRE rates for these dates when searched for separately are quite a bit different as a result - I see what appears to be the Hyatt for $89 for the 26th, but there's not much for the 27th aside from the Knickerbocker for $229.

Unfortunately, I do think that it may take as much as $140-150 for a 4* when bidding for both dates in NMA, but if rates are not aggressively discounted due to the considerably busier second night, bidding for both nights together may require a higher bid than $150. Bidding for both dates separately may result in a better deal, but it would require moving hotels.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Has anyone had any success with Priceline in obtaining a room for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend? I have tried a number of different scenarios with no luck. On previous Thanksgiving weekends I have been successful but things seem much more expensive this year. Thoughts or strategies I should pursue?

Thanks!

Have you tried bidding in the Millenium-Loop-Grant Park zone? Another user got the Hyatt on your dates for $62. The Hyatt is located along the Chicago River a couple blocks from Michigan Avenue. It is a great location.

Have you include the Loop zone or only bidding NMA-River North?

Not sure if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option, but it appears that saturday nite is the difficult nite which is causing the issue.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated and thanks for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't really want to split because we have a toddler and moving hotels with all that gear is a pain.
Having two small children i understand.

Do you need to be in the city on Saturday nite... since you originally planed Fri-Sun but tried Thur-Sun in an attempt to improve your chances, would making this a 2 nite Thur-Sat trip work?

To put things in perspective you could probably win a 4* hotel for Thur-Sat for under $100/nite... but rates for Saturday are likely in excess of $200/nite.

Will you have in Chicago or are you flying in? (or bus or train)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow, not sure what's going on Saturday night, but several properties that were showing availability yesterday for that date are now not showing availability when searching tonight.

To throw out a couple of suggestions for 11/26-28:

I'm seeing the Hyatt for $259 on Saturday only via Expedia, and this includes parking, which is quite expensive at the Hyatt.

There is a HOTWIRE listing for 7/26-27 - a 4* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area with fitness, business, restaurant, internet and spa for $89. This amenity set has been seen with the Hyatt, the Hotel Felix and the Swiss, although most commonly with the Hyatt.

$89 + $259/2 = $174 average per night, plus free parking the second night. Again, while the HOTWIRE listing is likely the Hyatt, there is the risk it could be something else. You would only get the free parking for the one night.

Less risk, but a bit more expensive:

The Hyatt is $223 a night on Expedia for 11/26-28, and coupon FESTIVE10 takes $10 off per night = $213. You would get free parking on both nights. While you could park down the way at the Millennium Park garage for $25 a night, parking at the Hyatt is otherwise a whopping $50 a night, so free parking (which should be noted on the Expedia listing when searching for these dates) is certainly a value.

Please use the site's Expedia, PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

So here is what I have so far:

11/26 - Priceline accepted a bid for a 4* in the loop (Hyatt Regency) for $62. I then called the Hyatt and made a reservation for 11/27 using my mom's AARP rate of $269. PRICELINE did offer me the ability to extend my stay to Saturday night but they offered it at $345 with tax included. I decided to go with the "cancellable" rate for Saturday and figured I would try to extend my stay again via PRICELINE as the date draws nearer (perhaps some rooms will be released or something). If not I will just keep the rate I have for Saturday and call it good. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Congratulations on your (partial) success and thank you for sharing your win with the board.

I would try to extend my stay again via PRICELINE as the date draws nearer (perhaps some rooms will be released or something).

Keep in mind the "extend your stay" option can only be tried once so you won't be able to attempt this again as your travel dates get closer... you could try bidding for a room for the additional nite of 11/27 that you still need, but you could receive a different property and have to change hotels after the first nite.

Enjoy your stay.

I think sometimes there are weddings on that Saturday night that weekend. I know of friends who had to go to weddings on that Saturday.

Personally, I would not shop the MagMile on Black Friday. How do I take home my other new tv on the L? I buy too much stuff.

Most go to the burbs. Ask people in line in the burbs at 5am in the morning at Target and a bunch are people that live in the city that are shopping in the burbs. Cheaper taxes, free parking, and easier to take things home.

However, Saturday and Sunday is MagMile shopping downtown.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]