Hotwire Hotel: Trying to identify 4* Embarcadaro

library
By library,
in

2 adults, 2 children. Nov 20-24. Not much to go on aside from the usual nothing (Fitness, restaurant, business center, HSI). From the lists here it could be the Hlton Finan. Dist, Hyatt, Omni or Le Meridien. I'd be happy with the last three and really happy w/ those last 2.

The only clue I can think of is the trip advisor 4.5 rating. Are those pretty accurate? Can I just look for Embarcadaro hotels that scored at least a 4.5 or do they fudge? If that's a pretty reliable technique, then it's likely the Omni or Le Meridien -- the only other shown for that area in Trip advisor is the Mandarin.

Any thoughts on the reliability f that technique (or SF family friendly hotel tips for that matter)? We've got more than a month to spare, so I might just watch individual hotel rates and see if I can get something that I can identify"for sure" that "for sure" has a pool for the kids ... but the either of those for $111/night might be too good to pass up.

Thanks! :)

Please follow-up your previous Hotwire Seattle thread with whatever you ended up doing for that stay... then click this HOTWIRE link and reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your post above.

Done and done and done ... BTW, I'm all for more information, but at the time it seemed like a "never mind, I'm sick" post seemed unnecessary. But if that's the level you want I'll try to remember.

The issue with the tripadvisor rating is that it is not posted "live", so the ratings may have changed since the last update.

This could be a match for the Meridien, Hyatt, Omni or Hilton. I'm seeing the Omni and Le Meridien having a 4.5/5 on tripadvisor when I search, so those two would - I think - be the more likely (as the tripadvisor rating leans in the direction of these two, but does not guarantee) possibilities.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you. Right now, there's nothing much showing on Hotwire so I'll have to keep an eye out. The best deals right now seem to be the Embarcadaro Hyatt on LMT for ~$113 or by direct booking the Intercontinental for about $114. We still have time so I'll wait.

Rates seem to be pretty reasonable and rooms are plentiful, at least via the hotels' own sites. I'm thinking people must stay with family during the Thanksgiving and business travelers are probably in short supply as well.

If there's capacity in the system I may just try to low-ball a Priceline room. I don't normally want to do that w/ the kids since I feel terrible making them sleep in the bathtub and/or closet :) but if I get something cheap enough and and the hotels aren't all filled up, then maybe I can feel confident about negotiating an affordable room with two beds at check in.

If rates are low enough and there is something in particular that you would like to ensure, festive10 is a coupon for $10 off Expedia per night, and that may work, or ORBITZ5 is 5% off Orbitz. The coupons may not work for all hotels, but are worth a try if you are interested in a particular property. Otherwise, please let us know what you decide and if you have further questions.

In terms of PRICELINE, there's no guarantee of two beds at all, but if this is a slow time (and the pre-Thanksgiving period is generally slow in some cities), you may have less trouble making that request than usual.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, Orbitz, Expedia or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

alrighty, I'm still clicking those HOTWIRE links, but so far no great deals. Right now the best option seems to be the Nikko via Last Minute Travel for about $117/night.

Another good option seems to be the Hotel Monaco via Kayak and Skoosh for about $115/night avg. I've never dealt w/ Skoosh. Anyone know anything about them?

Related question - how uptight are hotels these days about the number of people in rooms? For some hotels -- like the Kimpton hotels and maybe the Westin (can't remember), if I select two adults and two kids up front, the available room options are limited or expensive. But if I select one adult and two children or 1/1 -- I get more choices of two-bed rooms and the rates are better.

I'm kind of thinking that my best option is to book the number of beds I need, then take my chances when we show up (that they may try to charge a few bucks more) -- vs. just taking a $20-$30 night hit up front. Anyone have any experience w/ that type of situation?

Thanks!

The occupancy issue is hotel specific, and even then it can come down to the mood of the front desk clerk at the time of your check-in. If you're booking the right number of beds but an extra guest, i would simply only have two poeple go to the desk at check-in time and have the other one/two people 'meander' someplace else or browse around the lobby.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your bidding and searches.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks again. BTW, if any of the SFO regulars have stayed at both (Monaco and Nikko) and want to sound off on which is preferred, I love it. I've read the reviews and the Monaco sounds like all of them -- just a really nice hotel with great service. While the reviews on the Nikko run hot and cold w/ some folks calling it a top 5 SF hotel, while others say it's worn and the rooms are small.

Nothing like consensus, eh? :)

PS -- 'Cause I've been clicking up the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links a storm

Be very careful if you're booking a Nikko room through an opaque service, expecially if you're going to have more than 2 people.

If you can specify and they guarantee 2 beds, you'll probably be OK. But if they don't, Nikko has some petite queen rooms which are pretty small. I stayed in one alone and it was fine. But with 3 or 4, it would be unbearable. Besides the size of the room, I thought the Nikko was very nice and well located.

Thank you for the feedback. The Nikko would be through Last Minute Travel -- and they let you select 2 adults/2 children. I emailed them and they said if you book four, they guarantee the room will sleep 4. It might be two beds or one bed and a sofa bed, but they do guarantee 4. The kids are small, so that works for me.

Not sure why I'm not pulling the trigger. I keep thinking something _amazing_ will pop up -- though the Nikko or Monaco for ~$115/night is pretty darn decent.

Thanks again!

OK, just to close out this thread...

I booked 3 nights at the Parc 55 for a pretty sweet $82/night via Last Minute Travel (identifying the hotel using BEAV's method). The hotel didn't come up w/ 2 kids/2 adults, but it did come up with 4 adults, oddly. The LMT reservation just says 4 guests so I don't think they can fuss about the little people, and that should guarantee us four beds.

I still may grab a night somewhere for the Nov 20th if rates come down, or we may just bunk an extra night with our friends in the s. bay. Of course, I'll continue to book (and search) using the links here whenever possible (just for good measure, I just clicked the Hotwire, Priceline, and the google ad links again ;-)

Thanks for the help

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]