Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Chicago Suburbs (Lisle-Naperville) Hyatt

dbsmms
By dbsmms,
in

:)

I checked out this hotel on the internet after I received my winning bid, and there is a bed bug alert!!!!! I called priceline to ask if there is anything I can do and they said they would have customer service work on this for me. I called the hotel and the front desk clerk did verify they had had a problem "in the past" I asked if it was "recent past" since the reports were from Sept '10, and she confirmed that they did have a few rooms that had some and that they are closed down for months and fumigated etc. Has this happened to anyone else? I hear this has become a problem at even nicer hotels. I will let you know how it turns out.

Sorry to hear about the result of this bid.

Unfortunately, bed bugs have become an increasing problem and have appeared at 1* and 4* hotels and all in-between. Hopefully PRICELINE can do something about the situation, but in terms of the hotel, you can call to request an unaffected room - I'm guessing the review from 9/10 (which I also saw) may have been a review of a stay from months prior. I also included a portion from an article below (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11915026/).

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

"How would one go about avoiding them at hotels?

Inspecting fairly thoroughly for signs of bed bugs when you first arrive in a room can be very helpful. Include checking the bedding (especially near any attached type of bed headboard), the luggage holding rack, night stands by any bed (remember to check underneath and inside drawers if possible), closet shelves, dresser drawers, and along carpet edges under and near (e.g., within about 5 feet of) any bed. Report any evidence of bed bugs to the management immediately for their corrective actions. Just moving to a different room may not be the total answer. You should repeat the thorough inspection of any new or different room you are offered. When you pack to leave, inspect your luggage carefully first, and inspect every item as you pack to help detect any bugs or their signs. Laundering most cloth items with typical hot water and detergent followed by drying on low heat for at least 20 minutes (or standard dry cleaning) should kill all bed bugs in or on such items. Sealing freshly-laundered items inside a plastic bag should help keep any more bed bugs from getting in those items later to hide (and be carried back with you). Initially detecting and then excluding the bugs is the usually best strategy."

Priceline responded with a very nice letter about the bed bugs that basically said "tough Luck" with the bed bug issue. So hopefully they are being super diligent in working out that problem since it could really ruin business I can imagine.

We are checking out Wheaton for a college tour for my daughter.

Sorry to hear about PRICELINE's response.

If you are heading out here for a college tour and do decide for her to go to college here, I'd totally check out Ikea in Schaumburg (and I think there's another one in Bolingbrook) - everything one could need for a dorm room or apartment. There's also tons of nice looking apartment rentals out in the far West burbs, although I think the issue with quite a few of the West burb rentals is that you need a car to get anywhere.

• 1 year later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]