Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) City Club Hotel

Pcoladawg
By Pcoladawg,
in

Ok so I just "won" a bid. I made a bad mistake and left a zone open that I didn't intend to and picked up a hotel for about 20% off but isn't a hotel I would have wanted (i.e. I don't think it is 4*). They have some larger rooms and I am assuming they are going to put me in their European style room (looks more like a closet). Has anyone ever heard of getting an upgrade when using Priceline???? Help would be greatly appreciated.

As per our Our Rules and Policies:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Please add the details of your purchase to your Priceline Hotel thread and we'll then comment on your situation above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As per our Our Rules and Policies:

Please add the details of your purchase to your Priceline Hotel thread and we'll then comment on your situation above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I bid 290 for after losing for Times Square.

Midtown West

Times Square - Theatre District

They suggested adding $50 and I wouldn't have to change anything. I forgot I had added Midtown West and won City Club at 340. At this point I would be willing to stay with City Club if I could get a big room but as it is I have a 4* hotel that is only a full size bed. UGH.

Anyway I hope this is what you needed to try to help me.

Thanks

My thoughts:

Rooms in NYC are commonly (even at higher-end hotels) quite small. Rooms that are 130-175 square feet are really not uncommon in NYC, and as a result, there are a number of rooms that do have smaller beds because they are what fits (the Hudson Hotel being the prime example.) If you were able to cancel and get a "re-do" with PRICELINE, bedding is not guaranteed, and there is the possibility in NYC that you may again wind up in a small room in another hotel.

Your options would be, at this point:

* Call the hotel and ask what room you can expect. If their "petite" room, say something along the lines of, "I know I did book via PRICELINE so my options may be limited, but if there was anything that you could do to bump me up one level higher to their queen room, I'd really, really appreciate it." If this is for a special occasion, you could insert that into the discussion.

* The hotel may allow that and either just upgrade you or, depending on the hotel, they may charge you the difference between regular rate for the rooms (if it's a $30 diff between queen and petite, then $30)

* Or, you could contact PRICELINE and try to plead your case that you did not mean to select MTW, but I'm not sure the chances for that being accepted are going to be great, unfortunately - but it depends who you talk to, I've been surprised by some allowances.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I contacted PRICELINE as soon as I saw what I did. That proved to be a waste of time as they quickly pointed out the reason they get such great deals is based on their staying with the deals given. They did give me $10 of bonus money, which really did not make me feel any better about what I had done.

I just got off the phone with the hotel where I explained that it is my wife's birthday and she will kill me when she learns that I tried to save money and ended up with a full size bed in a petite room on her birthday. He said they charge $50 for an upgrade to the next level, which for me to get to a King size bed would be $100 per day because that is 2 upgrades but I told him OK lets do it. He said that they can only do it on the day of arrival and if there is space. Because they are a small hotel he can not guarantee that. The only way I could get a guarantee is to pay the full price difference as it appears right now which was over $200 a night for each night. I laughed he laughed.... I told him I would see him on the day of arrival. He said he would note my profile as really needing an upgrade.

I appreciate that this is New York. I have traveled there before and understand room sizes are small but four stars should mean four stars. I can not remember the last time I had to ask if I was getting an adult bed. One would expect a queen or king or even two full size but really what couple fits in a full size bed?? The place sounds nice enough and the location is fine but there is a Super 8 nearby that doesn't make it four stars.

Anyway it is done for now. I feel sick to my stomach for trying this. I should have just paid full price and gotten what I wanted. I know this is not what your forum is here for (venting) but really it will probably benefit some people to remember that it isn't always 60% savings. If given the chance I will now pay more than full price and still likely not get a room I expected to end up with. At this point my savings is less than 13% for a full size bed; being over six feet tall that doesn't sound like a deal worth taking.

Anyway I do appreciate your site. I wish I had read more before starting. Thanks for the suggestions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]