Slapped with twice the tax and fees

HowardDuPuis
By HowardDuPuis,
in

Was in a big rush yesterday and did not notice that taxes and fees brought this charge to $101.47. Taxes and fees were $61.47. It was my own fault for not looking more closely before hitting "BUY." My rental of last month was also for 4 days, but at $17 per day instead of $10, and taxes and fees were only $30.40 (the total was $98.40). So I got hit with twice the taxes and fees for a bid that was almost half as much. I have called and spoken to 2 priceline employees and they offer me nothing except the warning to read more closely before hitting "Buy." They say the difference is based on the location and car rental company. In this case the location was the exact same building; National and Alamo are in the same building at O'hare. Apparently, Alamo slaps on twice the fees. I am not a happy person. Buyer beware, I guess.

How far apart did you make the two bids?

O'Hare recently instituted an extra $8 per day car rental rental tax (on top of previous taxes) in order to help build new runways... is it possible the first bid was accepted before the tax began to get charged and the second purchase after? (or if the tax began on a specific date that perhaps your first rental was before the cut-off and your second rental after the cut-off)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

ive also noticed that taxes are ridiculously high for recent bids on cars at ohare. i havent actually proceeded with the bids, but the estimated taxes on a 2-day rental for $8/day is about $34 (more than double the rental itself!). someone else had mentioned the tax rates varied company-to-company, but this tax surcharge explanation makes more sense....thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]