Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Loop) Hotel Allegro

ck1999
By ck1999,
in

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it falls under the same topic. I'm looking to book a 4* in Chicago (mag mile area) for 10/16 and 10/17. I have used Priceline a lot in downtown Minneapolis and I know how to play the game there. But I am unfamiliar with Chicago. Is it best to wait until the last minute to get the best deal? I regularly book on the same day in Minneapolis and usually get the Hyatt or Hilton for $50. But when I book a week or so in advance, I usually pay around $70.

I don't mind living on the edge. But I want to make sure I'm not shut out completely. Do you expect hotels to be full on that weekend? Could I reasonably expect to get a room at the best price if I only book, say 1-2 days in advance? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT - specifically I want to be in zone 7 or 8. 7 being most preferable. I'm taking my wife to Rick Bayless' restaurant on 10/16 for her 30th bday and it's in zone 7 :)

i just booked a priceline room for the coming weekend... i guess it is all depend if anything going at downtown during ur travel period. For me i tried to bid once every few days. never go over the set price i have in mind. i usually can get a good deal. Something i learn to check this board often to find the lastest pricing from other booking. if someone else got a room for $70 in the morning, chance are they will also accept ur bid for the same price.

Unfortunately, this is an extremely expensive weekend with limited availability and very high prices for the hotels that are available - HOTWIRE isn't showing much for these dates and what it is showing at the 4* level is around $300 a night. Much of the Fall in Chicago is often expensive, and these dates are unfortunately quite busy.

Regular rates are either $300-400+ or hotels appear sold out. I'm seeing some very reasonable rates at nice hotels in the burbs. If you are driving in, that could be an option.

There is no way to know in general whether or not prices will fall closer to the dates - they could certainly go higher, as well. What would be your desired budget per night for hotel for these dates?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

EDIT - specifically I want to be in zone 7 or 8. 7 being most preferable. I'm taking my wife to Rick Bayless' restaurant on 10/16 for her 30th bday and it's in zone 7 :)

Bayless has a few restaurants downtown. Which one?

To support AaronJB, if you find something now, I'd lock it in. The Chicago downtown market can tighten up quickly.

EDIT - specifically I want to be in zone 7 or 8. 7 being most preferable.

To avoid any confusion now or in the future, please use zone names and not numbers, as the numbers will change if/when the zones get new boundaries, are renamed or re-ordered.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Grrr, striking out so far today. Looking for 10/16 and 10/17.

I used the PRICELINE link on this board.

Started off with 4*, Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area - bid $60 (long shot I know)

Added the following and went up to $81

Franklin Park $65

Hyde Park $70

Lincoln Park $75

Skokie $79

Midway Airport $81

Then added 3.5* and tried again with Loop & Grant Park Area - bid $60

Added the following and went up to $81

Franklin Park $65

Hyde Park $79

Lincoln Park $81

going to try again tomorrow. Persistence will pay!

If you're driving in you could stay in the suburbs and try the Bayless smaller portion restaurant Frontera Fresco in the Old Orchard Mall for lunch, then one of his main restaurants for dinner.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Flying in. Flights already booked. I don't have a "max" price. We're going no matter what. Just looking to get the best price I can. I'm willing to go 3.5*. Any thoughts on how high I may end up going? Think $150 would do it?

You could try up to $150 for a 4* in either of the two main downtown zones, but I think you have a better chance under $150 for a 3.5* (maybe in the $125-135 range.) It's the Saturday that's the problem; the Sunday really isn't so bad; if you could split your stay you may be able to get a somewhat better deal, but with quite a few properties sold out on Saturday, not sure how much inventory is even available.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

You could try up to $150 for a 4* in either of the two main downtown zones, but I think you have a better chance under $150 for a 3.5* (maybe in the $125-135 range.) It's the Saturday that's the problem; the Sunday really isn't so bad; if you could split your stay you may be able to get a somewhat better deal, but with quite a few properties sold out on Saturday, not sure how much inventory is even available.

Thanks. I've gone to $160 for 3.5* with no luck. I think I'm going to take a break and try tomorrow.

HOTWIRE is showing a 4* in the Loop area for $159 w/boutique, fitness, internet, restaurant, business. My guess is that this is the Allegro. That's not the most well-located property - it's in the West Loop - it's primarily a business district and will be *quiet* later at night. However, it's a nice Kimpton boutique that was renovated a year or two ago.

HOTWIRE is showing a 4* in the Loop area for $159 w/boutique, fitness, internet, restaurant, business. My guess is that this is the Allegro. That's not the most well-located property - it's in the West Loop - it's primarily a business district and will be *quiet* later at night. However, it's a nice Kimpton boutique that was renovated a year or two ago.

HA! I am halfway through the booking screen on this hotel. I was just about to ask you what you thought it was. I'm strongly considering it.

Congrats on your success. :)

Great rate and glad that this hotel will work well for your travel plans. There is a Corner Bakery at 188 Washington a couple of blocks South of this hotel, and that's a fine choice for a quick breakfast. Trattoria 10 is an Italian restaurant a few blocks away and according to their website, they send a $10 gift certificate if you sign up for their email list (Link)

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]