Priceline Hotel: 3.5* DC (Convention Center-Capitol Hill) Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill

mightyh
By mightyh,
in

I am traveling to DC with spouse and 2 kids for two nights, October 11 and 12. It's the first time in DC for the kids and I would love to stay downtown so they get a sense of the city's atmosphere. However, I have a limited budget and would also consider Crystal City since it has good metro access. I would like to spend no more than $125 per night.

I'm interested in 3.5 star and above, and would consider a 3 star.

I'm most interested in Dupont-Woodley (found $187 at The Churchill and $233 at Washington Hilton) and Downtown-White House zones ($313 at both Doubletree and Westin City Center) if I stay downtown unless someone can convince me otherwise. Is Capitol Hill a good zone?

In Crystal City I found the following rates for 3.5 stars:

Marriott Crystal City 269

Crystal Gateway Marriott 269

Hyatt Regency Crystal City 229

Doubletree 203

Sheraton 349

Please advise me on the best Priceline strategy for my situation.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

First issue you'll need to deal with is that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy... this means you could receive a room with only one bed. You can request a room with two beds, but this would just be a request, and there are no assurances the hotel will be able, or willing, to accommodate your request (or if they are there could be an additional fee involved) Is this a risk you're willing to accept?

If not HOTWIRE can be an option as the allow you to search for up to quad occupancy.. the trade-off is that HOTWIRE usually costs a little more than PRICELINE, and search for quad occupancy can often increase the price more (but at some properties not at all).

I'd start with a HOTWIRE search for quad occupancy and see the pricing to see if anything is within your desired zone, star rating and budget. From there you can weigh how much of a lower price might be worth the risk via PRICELINE.

As well, those Crystal City rates look pretty high for the area and your maximum bid would still be less then half of the lowest price you've listed... you may ultimately need to increase your budget.

Let us know your thoughts on the board and what you find and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...if I raise my PRICELINE bid to $150 does that help at all or am I just out of luck--besides Capitol Hill--for the dates I need?

It may be a tough win but you should try the zone(s) you do want first... if your first choice of zone(s) are rejected within your budget then you can decide what you want to do from there (ie- add other zones, lower star rating, raise bid, etc)

We do see the Convention Center zone bid frequently... why do you oppose this area?

Let us know your maximum bid and the zone(s) you're willing to accept and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry for the delay.. . I've been hemming and hawing over what I want to do.

When you say I can request a room with two beds, does that mean that once I win a Priceline bid, I call the hotel directly and place that request?

If yes, then I am willing to bid up to $150/night for the nights of October 11 and October 12. Zones preferred are Capitol Hill and White House. 3.5 star or higher.

please advise as to best strategy!

Yes, you can call the hotel and make a request for a room with two beds, but as noted above, there is no guarantee the hotel will be able, or willing, to honor your request.

My guess is that $150 may fall a little short, but to give it a try...

At the 3.5* level you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* Capitol Hill...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* White House...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120 ,if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Capitol Hill and White House...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you!

I used the links offered to bid via PRICELINE.

Bid through Capitol Hill and my free re-bid zones up to 130, but was denied.

Bid through White House and my free re-bid zones up to 130, but was denied.

Bid Capitol Hill and WH at 135 and was denied. PRICELINE offered a free bid if I added $30. I ignored the offer, added a free re-bid zone and bid 140 which was denied. Added another free re-bid zone at 145 and was accepted.

Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill, October 11 and 12 at $145.

We stayed at this hotel last week and had a wonderful time. We were very pleased with our room! The location is excellent to see the Smithsonians and other attractions. Our favorites were the Air and Space Museum and the American History Museum. The Natural History Museum and the National Postal Museum are also great as well at the National Gallery of Art. We also did a Capitol tour, which you need to schedule on-line before you go. We walked over to Ford's theatre and the home across the street where Lincoln died. That is very interesting as well. You can't do it all in 2 days, of course, but with pacing yourself, you will be able to do a lot. You can walk to all these places, so that will save on transportation. The parking is about $45 a night at this hotel, so check out cheaper options for parking nearby. Not sure if Union Station area has a parking area, but I'd be checking it out! Also, eat at Union Station--many fast-food type restaurants and share entrees--they're huge!! Have fun--we sure did!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]