Priceline Hotel: 4* Orange County (Newport-Huntington Beach) Marriott Newport Beach

Loisb8
By Loisb8,
in

I have been bidding on PRICELINE and this was my fourth bid for a 4 star hotel in Newport Beach. I started at $50 and was up to bidding $70 and PRICELINE offered that I could "Bid again right now" if I upped my bid by $15 to $85 for the same area and stars. I didn't know if it was a good idea to take it or if I should try again for $75 or $80 first. I don't need the room for five more days so I do have time to wait and rebid. Thank you for any insight or suggestions.

You have received a counteroffer from PRICELINE. The winning price could be any number between $71 and $85. Generally, you can get the room if you split the difference (i.e. a bid of $77 or $78).

There are 8 free rebid zones in the Newport Beach area. Those are zones that do not have anything higher than a 3.5* hotel. You can safely add these zones when bidding because you know that it's impossible to win a 4* hotel in those zones.

Theoretically, you could bid 256 times each day with that many free rebid zones. That seems a bit unnecessary. ;-)

If you like, you could actually bid in increments of $1 starting at $70 and working your way up to $85 ... all in the same day, or spread it out over 2 days. It all depends if you want to make sure that you don't overpay by a few dollars.

You should also note that even though you received a counteroffer today, it might be gone tomorrow.

4*; Orange County (Newport Beach/Huntington Beach); Marriott Newport Beach Hotel and Spa; $80 a night; 8/26-8/30. Date booked 8/21.

1st bid $50, 2nd bid $55, 3rd bid $60, 4th bid $70 (Priceline counter offered bid again right now at $85), 5th bid $75 (Priceline counter offered $90), 6th and final bid added Seal Beach/North Huntington/Fountain Valley (has no 4* hotels) $80. Accepted. Bid using PRICELINE link through Better Bidding.

Quick tip to save on hotel's steep parking fees: You can park for free on portions of Newport Center Drive (on street just adjacent to the hotel's self parking lot) all day and night Saturdays and Sundays. Monday - Friday I think Newport Center Drive changes to 2 hour parking during the day (i.e. like 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) but can park there all night after 6:00 pm. You could move your car during the day to the Fashion Island mall parking lot just across the street. We just told the hotel when we checked in we didn't have a vehicle to park and were able to save a lot of $$. Hope that helps and have fun!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]