Priceline Hotel: Bidding strategy for Venice 15-17Sep

sush
By sush,
in

I'd like a bidding strategy on Venice hotels and how low can I go in the bid for the dates 15-17 Sep. I'm also willing to stay near the Marco Polo Airport if the hotels are cheaper. I'd like help on how to bid there also. Not sure how conveniently located public transport is from that area though as this is my first trip to Europe. But inputs will be appreciated on that. Thanks

I'd like a bidding strategy on Venice hotels and how low can I go in the bid for the dates 15-17 Sep. I'm also willing to stay near the Marco Polo Airport if the hotels are cheaper. I'd like help on how to bid there also. Not sure how conveniently located public transport is from that area though as this is my first trip to Europe. But inputs will be appreciated on that. Thanks

You can bid as low as you'd like on Priceline. All that happens with "low-ball" bids is that Priceline rejects them. No charge. The only caution I have is to be sure it really is a low-ball bid. I was trying that once in London years ago. Many months before my trip. I was surprised to get the bid accepted. And of course my credit card was charged immediately.

Public transportation is good pretty much all over Europe. I know there is a public bus from the airport to mainland Venice (actually Maestre) and then there is train or another bus on in to the islands that make up Venice. Also a wonderful option of a boat ride (wonderfully expensive too).

Do a search up in the Quick Search box (top center) on "venice". You will see a bunch of reported results and get a better idea of what might work for your bidding.

For someone to suggest a bidding strategy here, they need to know your budget and your desired star level and your desired Priceline areas.

You might decide to stay in Maestre (I don't think I'm spelling that right?). It is an industrial town on the mainland, and Holiday Inns tend to come up in the bidding at better rates than those of Venice. I don't know about the airport hotels, but think Maestre might be work well for you. It is a quick train ride from Venice and I think those hotels offer shuttle transport. Check out some of the reviews here, or the hotel web sites themselves (you can see what hotels people have reported here in the very first post in Priceline-Other Countries).

Romelle

Thanks for the insight. I think I'm willing to pay upto 85 a night for 3* (first option) but if it is a good 2* I'd be willing to pay upto 65. If I can get a hotel in this budget at Venice island itself I can bid for that or else I'd go for cheaper options in Maestre. The other thing is I won't have too many rebid options right with just two zones thru priceline so I'd have to do this carefully or keep waiting 24 hrs

Thanks for the insight. I think I'm willing to pay upto 85 a night for 3* (first option) but if it is a good 2* I'd be willing to pay upto 65. If I can get a hotel in this budget at Venice island itself I can bid for that or else I'd go for cheaper options in Maestre. The other thing is I won't have too many rebid options right with just two zones thru priceline so I'd have to do this carefully or keep waiting 24 hrs

The problem is, there is no way of telling when you are bidding whether a hotel is "good" or not. That is probably the main reason why people mostly go for 4* and 5* hotels in Europe. Mostly they are "good", but even then once in a while somebody has some serious issues. There are indeed good 2 and 3* hotels and B&Bs but you have to hunt them down yourself via guide books and references.

Right now there is a 3* for under $70 on Hotwire, but it actually shows the hotel name and then some reviews. Some of the reviews are scary. I wouldn't risk it unless I knew otherwise that the bad reviews were bogus. I don't.

About a year ago, there were a couple reported Hotwire bids where they have Holiday Inns for around $70. Nothing reported there more recently. You can look at reported bids by just typing "venice" up in the Quick Search box.

This is a little extreme, but would you consider youth hostels? http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Venice---Venezia-031001.en.htm

You get a bunk in an 8 bed room, clean sheets, access to showers, and a light breakfast. Also get to meet rather interesting people traveling in a similar manner. It is very safe, clean, etc. 22 Euro a night. Right on one of the islands that comprises Venice.

Since there is no recent reported history on 2 and 3*s, the outcome of PL bidding is pretty iffy. I really wouldn't risk the 2* in Europe. I normally stay out of the bidding strategy area since there are pros here that do a better job. However, as just a member, I'll make a suggestion. Simply bid 3* $60 on Mestre. Then add Venice and raise your bid to $65. After 24 hours, start again. This time bid $70 and $75. And repeat at $80 and $85 after the next 24 hours. But first, take a good look at the 3* offerings on the retail side of Priceline. There isn't a perfect correlation between that and what one gets by bidding, but it is indicative. The lowest priced one has some mixed reviews, and the lower the price probably the higher the odds are of one getting it via bidding.

Romelle

These are the bids I tried today and failed

4* venice -89

3* venice -80

4* -mestre + VENICE 90

3* -mestre and venice 78

I was wondering if the 2* option in Venice is like a free rebid option or have there been actual 2* hotels reported and also I need some help on what is the price I should bid for a 2* to start with. I definitely wouldn't try to pick up the 3* hotel in Mestre on Hotwire which seems to have some really bad reviews on Tripadvisor although I'm getting it for 58 a night presently.

When one clicks on the Venice area, the two star button lights up. That means one could win a 2* if bid. The idea of "free rebids" only applies when there are NO hotels at that level OR HIGHER.

Have you found the consolidated list of reported hotels yet? VERY first post in this area. Scroll down it to see what has been reported.

Venice is not one of the easier cities to bid, as there often isn't much of a PRICELINE inventory there (or at least not at less expensive prices).

My personal VERY loose rule of thumb for where to start bidding is about 15% less than HOTWIRE or about 50% of the best price one can find elsewhere, whichever is lower. It almost always is too low, but prevents overbidding.

I'm glad you are starting to try bidding though. The first few bids are the hardest.

Did you get any counter-offers with your bidding? They are an indication you are getting close, although they don't necessarily occur. If you do get a counter-offer, unless you are out of time the best idea is to ignore it and bid a little higher the next day.

Romelle

Not sure what the counter offers on priceline are which I'm supposed to get but priceline does take me to an option of listing all their retail hotels when I fail.

Today I tried 2* Venice upto 115 and yes I did check the consolidated list of Venice hotels and it only mentioned upto 3* level (Comfort Hotel Diana Venice). I tried Mestre upto 98 for a 3 star level and 100 for a 4 star (Hotel Tritone and Holiday Inn Marghera) and got rejected. I decided to go ahead and just book a hotel via Expedia which can be caneclled until 3 days before the check in date. I booked a 3 star hotel on Lido Island for 102 a night and it has good reviews also and is close to the vaporetto and public transport.

Hotel Albergo Giardinetto

Viale Santa Maria Elisabetta 3

Venice, VE 30126

Italy

We will also be next to the beach on Lido Island which sounds like more fun than staying in Mestre, although the cost of hotels in Mestre for 3 star hotels were definitely lower (75+).

It looks like priceline isn't working out very lucky for me where bidding is concerned but I am finding the hotwire hotel lists very useful to just book directly on hotwire. This forum definitely helps since I can take a very calculate risk in booking hotels and looking at reviews and locations before hand.

sush

I'm glad you got something settled here. I don't know that particular hotel, but have had good experiences with the Albergo chain elsewhere. Its been years since I've been on Lido, but there was a true grocery store there. Also, I think it works well to buy an "all you can ride" ticket so you can move at will, rather than having to go buy individual tickets for each ride.

You'll have a wonderful time. Venice is one of my favorite places in the world. Favorites there are Murano, Burano, the Glass Museum, and a dusty under-visited naval museum that gives you an idea of Venice's naval force and place in the world in history.

Romelle

And usually Priceline bidding works much more smoothly and effectively. You just tied into a few of the most difficult cities of all.

Hi Romelle

Also would appreciate if you could mention a few good restaurants to eat at in Venice. Thanks

You are asking the wrong person on that one. Sorry. I tend to do grocery store and street food. Loaf of bread, the last set of plastic silverware from the airline, peanut butter.... I can offer up that the Venice Youth Hostel may have a nice inexpensive pasta-based supper, but suspect that isn't quite what you are wanting.

On the other hand, incredible light fixtures from La Murrina and others. I once spent 6 nights in the above-mentioned youth hostel just so I could look at every light fixture in Venice and afford to take several home. I have trouble sitting still for fancy meals.

Maybe somebody else will chime in here, or there are always those guide books. Michelin is one of the better ones for food.

Romelle

I booked a 3 star hotel on Lido Island for 102 a night not including bfast and it has good reviews also and is close to the vaporetto and public transport.

Hotel Albergo Giardinetto

Viale Santa Maria Elisabetta 3

Venice, VE 30126

Italy

Just a quick update I cancelled the hotel above and went with a 4 star non-opaque hotel on Lido de Venice Island that hotwire was offering (with the hotel name visible for 103 a night). I actually booked it via Expedia though using the 'RELAX10' coupon (10 off per night expires Sep 30). This hotel booking is from 15-17Sep for a double bedroom including breakfast. It also has spa facilities on site and a short walk to the vaporetto. Total amount I paid after coupon including taxes was $203.66.

Hotel Russo Palace

Riviera San Nicolo 11/A

Venice VE 30126

This hotel had good reviews as long as you don't end up with a room without a view under the ceiling. A lot of other travellers requested for a better room when they ended up with a bad room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]