Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Hilton Chicago

godbody99
By godbody99,
in

Hi, I am looking for a 3.5* or up within walking distance, of say wacker and state. My maximum per night without fees would be 80 dollars. I am going to be staying from 8-13 and will check out 8/17. I would love the Wit as my #1 choice, but I do not see anything that resembles it on HOTWIRE for around my price. I would also take the hyatt on michigan, or the omni, or preferably even the W on lakeshore. My question is this, for a room at one of these hotels at this price level, and on those dates, should i try to book it now, or should I wait until closer to my travel date? I have tried up to $55 dollars so far, and was rejected.

Any tips?

Also please move this, if it is in the wrong forum. I am open to using HOTWIRE or PRICELINE for this trip.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The issue with using PRICELINE and wanting to be near Michigan and Wacker is that that is the point (more or less) where the two PRICELINE zones meet. So, if you were to bid on either the River North-NMA zone or Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park zone, you could get a hotel right near this ponit - or on the complete opposite side of either zone. The best choice would be HOTWIRE, as one can make an educated guess as to which properties are showing. Unfortunately, nothing on HOTWIRE appears to fall within the desired budget range.

You may be able to get a 3.5* or possibly 4* for these dates via PRICELINE, but you would you be willing to accept being anywhere within the two main downtown zones?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

No, I would not. I would accept being north on Michigan ave or State, or where ever, like around bloomingdales, and that whole area, but I would not be willing to be where lets say the hilton towers are. Basically Anything passed the park hyatt or the wit, i would not be willing to do, that is about as far south as I would like to be. If I gotr the park hyatt, or the hyatt on michigan and wacker, or the wit, or the hard rock, i would be fine, but if i got the hilton that is far south loop, i would hate it. I assume most travelers to chicago have this same delimna on here.

I understand your not wanting to be too far south in the Loop zone... but if the entire NMA-River North zone is not acceptable either than PRICELINE is not a good option for this stay.

You could try HOTWIRE and see if you're able to identify the hotel(s) being offered beforehand based upon the amenities shown before your purchase, and therefore take an educated guess as to the hotel's location... but there would still be a risk involved that you/we have guessed correctly :)

The opaque providers are for users who are able to be flexible in their plans, and in exchange for this flexibility there are often some very deep discount to be had. If your plans don't allow you to be flexible for this trip then PRICELINE or HOTWIRE may not be the best option for this stay.

I don't think most users have a problem with Chicago as most are content anywhere within the NMA zone (the zone is only about a mile from end-to-end in either direction) and, for the price, most are able to make it work for their needs. The "issue" we usually see if whether the user wants to include the Loop zone or not.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please follow-up this thread with whatever you end up doing for this stay, even if you choose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I agree, and that is what I was saying. Anywhere in NMA is fine for me, even as far north as bloomingdales, or right around the drake, that is fine. Far south loop is not fine. Looks like I will strictly bid on NMA.

However, as a follow up, being that I have about 2 months until my time, should I stay at the low end of my bidding now? What time is the sweet spot for bidding? Is it better to bid right before the trip, or right now?

As far as when to bid, see the related "bid early or late" link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

I think anything at $80 or under for a 4 nite stay in the summer would be a great deal, so i would consider bidding now and up to your limit... if you are successful, certainly more risk in prices increasing from there then dropping substantially, imo.

Once you decide you're ready to start bidding let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have been bidding all the way up to 75 for a 4 star and up to 65 for a 3.5 star, and nothing yet. Question, since I am staying 4 nights, would it be better to split the time between 2 hotels? Also, is there anything going on from the 13th through the 17th, which would make prices higher? I have gotten the hyatt several times for 65 and under, and dont understand why I cannot get anything at 75.

Rates vary significantly by date; while the Hyatt may be attainable in slower periods (or years like the last couple) for $65-75 +/-, Summer is a busier season and this Summer has been noticeably more expensive overall than the past two.

The air show is going on during this period. While that does bring in crowds, I doubt that it will have a very significant impact on prices.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

You could try up to $80 and if that's not accepted, then look at alternatives, such as splitting your stay, which may work for these dates, although the average between the two parts of the stay may still be over $80, especially if the busier dates (13th-15th) are not being heavily discounted.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been bidding for months for a 3.5 or a 4 in NMA or the loop, and bid up to 80 with nothing. Before lowering to a 3, I was wondering if I should break up the days and bid different days? I will be staying from the 13 and checking otu the 17th of August. How should I break it up? I dont care if I have to change hotels twice, I just want a damn hotel for an 80 or under bid.

$80 or under in the River North-NMA for a 4* isn't going to be likely for these dates.

However, I think you're not far off from a 3.5*. I think it'll likely take $85-90 for 8/15-17. You could possibly get a moderately lower rate for 8/15-17, but 8/13-15 would require a moderately higher bid. 8/13-15 appears to be somewhat more expensive due to the air show.

Well, I was able to get something by splitting the dates last night. For tomorrow and saturday we got the south michigan hilton for 90 per night, for sunday and monday night, we ended up finding the holiday inn express on michigan ave for 67 a night, for an average of 78.50 per night before fees and taxes. I am pretty happy with that, though the hilton is fairly far south, i believe for this weekend we came out pretty well. I am happy, and thanks for the assistance.

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Glad to see you're happy with the outcome and the deals you received.

As this thread now reflects your purchase of the Hilton, can you please add a NEW TOPIC to the board for the Holiday Inn Express as this will allow others to be aware of each win when searching the topic titles on the board and also enable each to have its own entry in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay(s).

Well, I was able to get something by splitting the dates last night. For tomorrow and saturday we got the south michigan hilton for 90 per night, for sunday and monday night, we ended up finding the holiday inn express on michigan ave for 67 a night, for an average of 78.50 per night before fees and taxes. I am pretty happy with that, though the hilton is fairly far south, i believe for this weekend we came out pretty well. I am happy, and thanks for the assistance.

While these two hotels are not right near each other, they are in two distinctly different areas and that could be good in that you could see the things you want to see in the Loop (museums, for example, if you want to go to the museums) while at the Hilton and see the things North of the river while at the HI.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]