Priceline Hotel: Help with 2.5* or 3* in Kamloops

TrevorK
By TrevorK,
in

I'm looking to bid on a 2.5* or 3* in Kamloops, BC but really have no idea where to start. Preferably a 3*, but I'm willing to go down to a 2.5* if I can't get a reasonable price on a 3*. I did a search on the forum and couldn't find much in the way of Kamloops bids.

I really want to stay away from the dirtier hotels - do you think it's safe to say that if a hotel is a 1* or 2* when I look up hotels through Priceline that when I "Name My Price" they won't magically change star ratings? There are some 1* hotels I absolutely do not want to stay at after reading through TripAdvisor reviews, which is making me nervous bidding on a 2.5* property.

Since I have plenty of time I have tried:

Kamloops BC - 3* - $30

Kamloops BC/Merritt BC (no 3* exists) - 3* - $32

But would like to know if there is a better price to start at.

If that median price comes from PRICELINE i wouldn't use it to assist in a bidding price or strategy, but with this noted, i would guess you're probably looking at somewhere between $60-$85... since you have time you can start lower as you have been, but i would be increasing by more than $2-$3 each bidding opportunity when bidding less than a third of prevailing rates and not having many re-bid zones.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Over the past couple days:

Kamloops BC - 3* - $40

Kamloops BC/Merritt BC (no 3* exists) - 3* - $45

Kamloops BC - 3* - $50

Kamloops BC - 3* - $53

Kamloops BC/Merritt BC (no 3* exists) - 3* - $56

I really don't want to pay for $70 for the hotel, so I'll just keep increasing slowly and by the end of the week I'll be at $70. Then I guess I'll play the same game with the 2.5* hotel.

Just as a point of reference, HOTWIRE has a 3* (no telling if this would be the equivalent of a PRICELINE 3* or 2.5*) for $99/nite... what is the best rate available thru conventional booking channels?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Kamloops BC - 3* - $76

Kamloops BC/Merritt BC (no 3* exists) - 3* - $80

I think that signals the end of my chances at a 3*. I wish I knew what hotels they rate as 2.5*

Through the conventional channels it appears that $115-125 is the going rate for a nice 3*. It'll just be a stopover, so I wasn't looking to spend too much on the room.

Those are actually two I would love to stay at.

Kamloops BC - 3* - $83

Kamloops BC - 2.5* and 3* - $35

Kamloops BC/Merritt BC (no 2.5* or 3* exists) - 2.5* and 3* - $40

All bids are a no go. I hope you guys get something for each unsuccessful bid I make!

When I bid $83 for the 3* in Kamloops I was offered a "one time opportunity" to increase my bid to $98. I'm guessing this means that I could have got the 3* for $98 at that point, but it's way more than I wanted to spend.

When I bid $83 for the 3* in Kamloops I was offered a "one time opportunity" to increase my bid to $98. I'm guessing this means that I could have got the 3* for $98 at that point...

Yes, in all likelihood you could (or could have when the counter-offer was made) succeeded at $98, but more specifically you could have likely succeeded at some amount between $84-$99. Sometimes it takes just $1 more than the previous bid... other times it takes all the way up to the amount of the counter-offer. So if, for example $98 is beyond your budget for a 3* but $88 is still within your budget, you should continue to try up to your maximum bid amount.

Good luck and keep us updated, and thanks for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]