Priceline Hotel: Buf - Amherst

Sneddy
By Sneddy,
in

• 3 weeks later...

I have reviewed the 3* hotels in the area and am concerned with some of the things I have read with some of them. As I can not be sure as to which one might accept my bidI have decided to pay the extra and go with the 3.5*. It is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada at the time I will be travelling, I wonder if that is affecting the rates?? Any thoughts?

One of our local Canadians can probably commented on typical customs during Canadian Thanksgiving Day (as to whether will likely travel to nearby cities in the states), but something is causing rates to be higher then usual.

The Marriott is currently about $170/nite and the Hotel Indigo is $190/nite... how high would you be willing to go at this time for an 'opaque' hotel?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was kinda curious as to what was going on in Buffalo then. It's the start of Columbus Day weekend I think, plus prime foliage time. There's a Bills home game Sunday; a Roger Waters concert on the 8th, A Sabres game, the Buffalo International Film festival is going on, and it appears to be Restaurant Week in Amherst.

I would think the long weekend has the most effect on prices.

I went up to $85 last night and was rejected. $85 is the highest amount I saw on the history of winning bids. I can go higher I really just want a good deal on a clean hotel for one night that will get me and my family close to the airport. We will be parking at the airport so I don't need a shuttle or anything. I am concerned with some of the reviews i have read about some of the other 3* hotels and as you never really know which one you will get. i don't mind a 3*, I just need it to be clean. Any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Are you only bidding on the Amherst zone? If this is just a pre-flight stay, and you'll be driving to the airport from the hotel, why not also include the Airport zone and/or any other nearby zones?

Also, i haven't re-read this thread from the beginning, but you mention a room for your family... if we didn't mention it above, keep in mind that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, which means you could receive a room with only one bed and the hotel may not be able, or willing, to accommodate your request for a room with 2 beds (or there could be an additional fee)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't have a problem with a 3*, its just that some of the reviews have not been very good for the 3* that normally accepts in the airport area. Other areas are the same, some of the hotels read well, but then there always seems to be one in the area that is not very good. The 3.5* in Amherst gets good reviews all the time. As for the one bed thing no problem, we will be bringing a second with us.

Oh ya, rejected at $110.00.

Oh ya, rejected at $110.00.

Eventually it becomes an issue of just how high are you willing to bid vs. take the chance on a lesser property for a fraction of the price? (or just take the 'retail' rate at the property you want)

While i wouldn't do it for a multi-nite vacation, to save $50+ on a one nite stay i'd go with a property less well reviewed, take the savings and spend it on something to do in the area (nicer than usual dinner, bottle of win, have a few drinks at a nearby (if walkable) bar, etc) and just use the room to sleep in.

• 10 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]