Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Convention Center-Capitol Hill) Hotel Monaco

alaskanjackal
By alaskanjackal,
in

Finally coming through DC on a weekend and was looking forward to staying in a nice 4* at a bargain basement price. :)

Was hoping for the Grand Hyatt or at least the Renaissance (my traveling companion loves Renaissances), so was focused on the CC-CH area.

Tried CC-CH 4* for $60 (for grins and giggles--that's what I would pay for a double room at my preferred hostel) yesterday; obviously no-go. Rebid for $75--still nothing.

Tried again tonight for $75 and rebid at $90; at the last second, I decided to go for $99 (having seen a couple of winning bids at $97 posted here).

Surprised to get the Hotel Monaco.

My heart sank when that happened, not because it doesn't look nice but because a smaller hotel like that can be a bit inflexible with room type, and we'd really like two beds (we're family, but not THAT close). That is, we are probably booked in a basic Queen room, which the hotel's website shows as a 325-square foot room. The only Doubles they list on their site are in 475-square foot rooms and are $30 more on their website. In other words, the Double rooms are larger and nicer than the Queen rooms, so I'm not optimistic about getting a room with two beds. That said, I called the front desk (after calling Kimpton's central reservations line and being told they can't even leave notes in a PL reservation) and she gladly (if hurriedly) said she'd put a note in and also added my brand-new Kimpton InTouch member number. The fact the front desk--who would be the ones responsible for making the room selection--was willing to put a note in the reservation made me feel slightly better.

In any case, my traveling companion likes the idea of boutique hotels, so hopefully we have a nice experience, even though it wasn't necessarily what I was hoping for. Looks like it's missing a review, so I'll try to post one after our stay.

I did use the PRICELINE link on this forum to make my reservation.

Congratulations on your success!

Hopefully all will go well with the bedding assignment, but if not, perhaps you may be able to negotiate an upgade for less than the $30/nite difference.

Kimpton properties also do an evening wine reception which is always a nice way to unwind after the day or prepare for going out for the nite.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]