Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (UWS) Empire Hotel

deebee11
By deebee11,
in

Hi everyone. I'm going to New York City Sept. 25-28, 2010. (Dates not negotiable, unfortunately)

I'm finding the prices to be ridiculously high for that weekend. (I visited in May and paid $135 for the Red Roof Inn on 32nd, now it's $338!)

Location is flexible as long as it's

a. On Manhattan

b. In a reasonably decent neighbourhood

(The event we're going to is at the Lincoln Center on the Monday night, but otherwise it's a sight-seeing trip)

I was hoping for a 4-star, 3.5 would be fine. Are there any tricks? I really don't want to pay $300+ per night.

Any advice appreciated. I've been shopping Priceline, Hotwire, various hotel sites... Zip. Nada. Zilch. under $300.

Unfortunately, September (although mainly late Sept.)/October/November/December are very expensive in NYC, while the Summer (and parts of the Spring) are more reasonable (well, for NYC.)

The "best for the least" that I'm seeing on Expedia for these dates is the Affinia Manhattan on sale for $258. It depends on what you are looking for from this stay - a 3.5/4* or something more reasonable just to sleep - but I think a Midtown 4* is probably going to take $250-275+. A Midtown 3.5* may take as low as $175, but is probably going to take over $200. Depends on the zones, as well and I would start lower, but rates are definitely high and I'd definitely try to lock something in.

More unfortunately, in terms of PRICELINE, there's no way to get around it if bids are not being accepted, other than to wait (and prices can suddenly go the wrong direction while you wait) or to bid higher or to lower the star rating or some combination of the above.

PLease use the site's HOTWIRE, Expedia or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hotels shouldn't be allowed to jack up rates for regular people just because the UN is in town. It's not as if we suddenly have more money to spend just because the US is in session. It is basically price-gouging and is actually illegal in some places when there is a sudden storm or catastrophic weather situation.

Anyway, I would recommend looking at hotels outside of Manhattan. You can get a MUCH better deal across the river in NJ Jersey, or north of NYC in Connecticut. Some places have access to the NJ Transit or Metro North (NYC - Connecticut) trains which are very reasonable and whisk you over to NYC quite quickly.

Hotels shouldn't be allowed to jack up rates for regular people just because the UN is in town. It's not as if we suddenly have more money to spend just because the US is in session.

But the hotel does hae fewer available rooms and rates are based upon supply/demand factors... not your ability to pay the going rate.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Oh no... doesn't look good then, does it? I took a break from looking for a few days, hoping the situation would improve. I see that the Red Roof Inn on 32nd that I had been watching (on their own site, not PRICELINE) dropped from $338 to $299. But that's a far cry from the $140 I paid for the same hotel in May. It's a decent place, but not really luxurious or fancy. Eeek!

deebee11,

Is this an option trip OR do you have to be in the area for an event for these dates? Would staying outside the city and commuting in be an option? Could you reschedule your plans to another set of dates?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I can't change the dates. We are going to an awards show on the Monday night. If I didn't need to go that weekend, I'd have already changed the date.

I suppose I could stay outside of Manhattan, but then we're not really experiencing New York. Suggestions on ways to to make that work would be welcomed - how difficult is it to travel into the city? Will I spend the difference in cab fares?

Thoughts on the Travelocity offers before choosing to stay outside of the city? What is your maximum threshold per nite for this stay? (as given the circumstances, $225-$250 doesn't seem that bad for these dates :) )

Here is another idea... rates are high throughout the stay, but really 'pop' for the last nite; SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID staying in NYC for the first 2 nites and then change hotels the last nite... how are you arriving to NYC, plane, bus, train, etc? Where you do depart from on 9/28 and at what time? (as well, from where do you arrive into the city on 9/25 and what time?)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our Travelocity link if you go that route)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

I haven't given up - but took a break from my search as I was trying to work out an alternate arrangement with a family member, but it's not going to work out.

I saw somebody's post about Travelocity's "Top Secret" Rooms. They have two options for my dates @ the 4-star level. All in midtown (which is fine) - listed for $253, $239 (and $495!! which is not an option) Is there a way to find out what the hotels are?

Thanks for the advice, you guys are great.

It really is possible to stay outside the city a bit and then commute in. New Yorkers do it everyday just to go to work. Bus and train tickets cost only a few dollars and don't take terribly long. Plus, your first and last meals of the day could come out in that neighborhood, and be quite a bit less expensive. The people on this board could give you some good suggestions as to which areas might be least inconvenient/expensive. You might try putting "nyc" and your dates in Hotwire, and seeing how different the prices are if you go out a bit.

And thereuare suggested "splitting" your bid, staying more central and costly part of the time, and less expensive the rest. As an example, if you are leaving very early by plane, an airport hotel for the last night is a good option. It will certainly cost less, and actually would be more convenient. If you posted a little more of the logistics of your trip, it would help people pinpoint some advice.

And being out a bit would even allow some sight-seeing of a totally different area....

Romelle

We're still learning about the Travelocity Top Secret Hotel prodcut but i think the $239 property might be the St Giles The Court as another user recently purchased and from what i recall it looks the same as the offering i'm seeing when searching Travelocity for your dates. I don't have any guess for the $253 as i'm not able to find anything matching the description provided for that property.

However, do note that although Travelocity lables most of these hotels "midtown" their maps actually indicate that the hotel can be just about anywhere on the island... from battery park up to 125th St.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or our Travelocity link if you go that route.

Hi again,

I just booked my flights. Arriving Saturday morning (Sept 25) @ Newark, leaving Tuesday afternoon. I realize that staying off Manhattan might be the sensible approach, but I'm really not interested for this trip. Don't want to move in the middle of the trip, and we're going to an awards show on the Monday night, and don't want to take a cab back to wherever late that night. (Friends will be staying nearby, want to be able to go out with them).

Thanks for the info about Travelocity. I did a bit of reading about it online, and so far they sound pretty dodgy. I'll pass on that.

I did find something interesting today though. I have been also watching the Red Roof Inn on 32nd (Sorry, I don't think they're on Priceline), where I have stayed before. The price dropped in the past few days from $338 to $242 (with a AAA discount). So if that's any sort of a benchmark to go by, it might be worth trying again with Priceline. I'll let you know if I find anything.

I gave Priceline (via your PRICELINE link) another shot last night, and gave up when I was still unsuccessful @ $225 for a 4* star anywhere in the midtown area. I"ll try again later - still debating whether I should drop down to a 3.5* range or take the Red Roof Inn backup plan. RRI is a 3-star but I have stayed there before and it's fairly nice and in a good location (You wouldn't mistake it for a fancy 4* though). Some of the reviews I've read about other places available on PL say that rooms are old/shabby, smell like smoke, etc.

This offering is thru HOTWIRE, and while both the Distrikt and the Ramada New Yorker have been seen with no amenity icons, this HOTWIRE listing aslo shows a TA rating of 4.5/5.0, and this is consistent with the Distrikt but not the New Yorker, which is why i suspect that this one is the Distrikt.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]