Priceline Hotel: Help with 4* downtown Toronto

hfxfire
By hfxfire,
in

Good day all. This is my first post since becoming a member. I am trying to bid on a 4* Toronto downtown south hotel and I used the PRICELINE link from this site. I've followed all of the advice that I read from other members; re-bidding techniques, bid increases, etc. My dates are Sept. 26 to Oct. 2, 2010. My bids, which include the "bonus dollars", are $75 all the way to $110, all of which were rejected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for your response. Yes, at this time I need to keep my bid at this maximum. I was thinking that since I have a bit of time, I might wait for awhile before trying again. Also, if my bid is not accepted I might lower the star rating to 3.5 and try for the Delta Chelsea. We have stayed there before and it is close to the hospital, which is the reason for the trip.

If your stay is at the end of September, I'd try up to the $110 max a couple of times a week from now until around mid/late August. If that isn't accepted, then I'd consider looking at the lower star rating. I'd also keep an eye on rates on HOTWIRE, as well.

Thank you for keeping us updated and for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Glad to hear that Betterbidding has been helpful in planning your travel purchase. It's really a matter of dates and varying levels of traffic; there are frequently examples in major cities like NYC and elsewhere where one day could be $100, and then 3 days later could require a $150 bid for the same star rating and zone. Prices MAY come down closer to your dates, but there is the risk that if there is something going on during these dates, prices could also head higher in the meantime.

Thank you for keeping us updated and please let us know if you have any questions.

I live in Toronto (and I'm also looking for a downtown hotel for the Oct 1- Oct 3 weekend)

What I do know is there are several big medical conventions in town that weekend.

Also Sat. Oct 2 is Nuit Blanche. Not sure how much tourist traffic that generates, but it could be a factor.

I too have had difficulty securing the rates I usually get easily for Toronto.

Good luck.

Thanks Kaka for the info. I checked the Toronto tourism site to see if there was anything big going on during my stay, but found nothing major. I'll keep on trying and hopefully something will turn up. Thanks to all responders to my message. Every bit helps.

Hi folks. Just an update. Still not having any luck, but I'm going to keep trying. I think that I might be a little early as the hotels might hold off on a low rate hoping to get full price. I'm hoping that bidding in late August or early September will give me a better chance. I also know that this strategy might backfire too. Whatever way it goes, I'll make sure to update this post. Remember to use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on this site. Happy bidding everyone.

Good day everyone. Just want to add a little info concerning the dates that I am trying to get. According to another source in Toronto, it appears that the Scotiabank marathon is going on around that time and competitors are coming from all parts of the world. Also, the Toronto Film Festival is wrapping up around that time. And like Kaka mentioned, there are a number of large conventions going on. Guess that explains why I'm having trouble securing a hotel at a reasonable price. I will update if there is any other info that I find out. Hope this helps any other bidders for around the same dates.

hfxfire,

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel at this time? I didn't check again, but i see above i had thought that you were close... with the Marathon and other events discussed in this thread you may wan to consider securing something sooner rather than later, or at the very least, find a hotel which you can use as a refundable back-up.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have tried up to the $110 bid range but no luck. I'm not willing to try any higher at this time. I did what you suggested and managed to reserve a room at the Delta Chelsea which can be cancelled right up to the check in day without penalty. We have stayed there before and they do offer a "Hospital Rate" which is the reason for our trip. I will still try to get a deal from PRICELINE, but if that doesn't work, we have the backup. Thanks again for everyones suggestions. This site has been very helpful.

Now at least you know the 'price to beat' which helps to keep a level head when bidding.

Let us know what you ultimately do for this stay or if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]