Priceline Hotel: NYC 4* from 07/29 - 08/02

OliverB
By OliverB,
in

I will be driving down to NYC from the 29th (this coming Thursday) until the 02nd of August and staying for 4 nights with my girlfriend.

Believe it or not, I ALREADY have reservations booked at the Four Points Sheraton in SoHo for an incredible rate of $175/night tax-in through a work promotion! It's a standard King room with a request to stay on a higher floor with possible room upgrade.

However, I'm not completely satisfied with all that I'm seeing from this hotel... the booking and hotel staff seem extremely friendly and accommodating and the building itself is brand new, clean and modern, however it has absolutely no city charm. It's a lego stacked building with (from all review feedback) tiny rooms and on a bland street in an otherwise great location. I really only booked here because of the price.

That said, I'm used to staying at much nicer hotels in New York City but as we've been travelling all summer, I just can't affords to spend $500/night on a room right now!

I've stayed at boutique hotels like the Standard, Crosby Street, Greenwich, Royalton and classic luxury like the Premiere, the Benjamin, Plaza Fairmont, St. Regis, etc.

Here is my intentions and concerns:

I have only EVER used Priceline once before and it was in a much easier city to book (Toronto) where star ratings guarantee you select properties that are all of essentially equal promise. Not so New York!!

I would really like to upgrade to a 4-star+ hotel with some city charm in any of the following districts:

SoHo, LES/East Village, Chelsea, Greenwich, Central Park area, UWS or Midtown (as long as we;re away from Times Square!!!!)

Ideally I'd like to spend on average $200/night but I would be willing to jump to $250 for something really great!

But knowing New York City hotels... even star-ratings don't necessarily guarantee you much and I'm weary of getting booked into some giant modern block of a hotel chain (Mill Hilton) or anything near the touristy Broadway district. As mentioned, I want a hotel with charm... either nouveau modern SoHo/Chelsea/Greenwich boutique loft hotel or classic old world charm (that isn't completely run down and in need of reno!)

Here is my questions, and sorry if this is getting really long-winded...

Am I going to find anything better for the value and comfort than where I am currently booked (at the Four Point SoHo) and is it a big risk to go from $175/night in a great location even if the property itself is a major bore (albeit clean, comfortable and new) to bid on Priceline?

Does anyone have suggestions for potential hotels I might chance at $200/night in a 4-star rating around the neighborhoods mentioned?

Would you simply stick with the incredible rate at the Four Points Sheraton if you were me, or try to get something much nicer for a more enjoyable weekend in the city? I AM the type of person who likes to spend time relaxing in a room when I'm away from home and I live in a nice loft condo so I don't like to be uncomfortable and inconvenienced when travelling too much.

Does anyone have advice or strategies for me based on all I've written?

Thanks so much!!

There's no way to guarantee a particular type/specific style of property when bidding, especially given the amount of properties in NYC and varying styles. HOTWIRE would be a better option in terms of trying to be able to guess which listings may be showing and seeing if any possibilities appeal.

If you are willing to go up to $250, then Expedia has a few different options and coupon code 10SPRING takes $10 off per night at most properties. Expedia options include the Muse ($246 on sale), Ink48 ($224 on sale), the Alex ($259 + you get a $50 gas card sent in the weeks after your stay), the Omni Berkshire ($224) , then 10SPRING should take $10 off per night. 70 Park Avenue is $191 on Orbitz.

70 Park seems like a particularly nice deal for $191 and 70 Park, Muse and Ink48 (Ink48 is probably about a year or so old) are all 3 Kimptons that offer the evening wine reception.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE, Orbitz or Expedia or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

LAST QUESTION:

If I decide to bid on a star-level hotel in one of the above districts, am I GUARANTEED to be booked into at least one of the properties fromt he above list?

Ie. Soho 4-Star Level:

60 Thompson

Andaz Wall Street

Gild Hall REVIEW / tripadvisor review

Millenium Hilton tripadvisor review

Soho Grand

Tribeca Grand

Will I unquestionably reserve ONE of the above properties or are there other unlisted possibilities?

Thanks!

Those are the 4*'s in that zone that have been reported to the board, some of which are seen more commonly than others. There could be other possibilities reported at any time. It's worth considering HOTWIRE to see if you can make a guess as to which property in this zone is showing for your dates.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks very much for all of your help and advice, I will definitely use your links if I decide to purchase via Priceline or Hotwire.

The more I read, the more uncertain I am however. Although I don't consider the property to be a 4-Star rating, apparently that's what our current hotel (Four Points SoHo) is classified as. We've booked directly with them which allows us some vantage in terms of upgrades and service I suppose. I wonder if I should just stick with this booking afterall and maybe try to get an upgrade to a bigger room or suite if it doesn't meet our qualifications? The photos look nice enough (if the property is somewhat of a generic and bland bldg) but I'm just very worried about the size of the rooms and don't like that there is no separate bath tub or other luxuries that usually come with a 4-star luxury hotel. I realize this isn't a luxury hotel, but at $250/night I don't think I'll even come close whether using Expedia or any other service... I looked up 70 Park and not convinced the rooms are much bigger or more appealing than the F.P. and I prefer the SoHo proximity to food and shopping. I'm still undecided!

Thank you very much for your help though!

I was in this hotel recently visiting a friend who was in from out of town... i didn't see the room as we had a few drinks at the outdoor tables of the hotel bar/restaurant (he was on a tight schedule and didn't have much time to head to a local bar or explore the area). The hotel is on a very quiet street, like many newer NYC hotels has no lobby to sit and people watch, and doesn't have much character or personality. What it does have going for it is a 10 minute walk to the nightlife of the Bleeker Street area in the Village... as well it's around the corner from Trumps new hotel if you're looking for an upscale atmosphere to grab a drink.

This doesn't sound like your ideal hotel, but it comes down to getting what you want vs. what you want to pay. I think you could do much better with PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, but it too may not be the type of hotel you're looking for (ie- it could be a large business hotel)

I would look at HOTWIRE where you have a reasonable guess as to the hotel... or one of Kimpton properties mentioned above. As an example on HOTWIRE, what i believe to be the Benjamin could be had for $256... the Dylan hotel can be booked for $175/nite, rates are not really that bad for these dates that i think you can find something which meets your needs and budget. Any of these previous examples of interest?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for your help... my concern is that places like the Dylan seem like they would offer much more in the way of urban charm and identity in a city like New York, but in comparisson I'm not sure the value is merited as a quick trip to the review board on Tripadvisor notes complaints about bedbugs, stolen money from hotel staff, poor and rundown ameneties, etc. It worries me as at the very least, boring as this property may be, certain things are guaranteed -- a comfortable king size mattress, clean rooms, etc. The basics. I'm worried that while there are other options like the Dylan, Fitzpatrick, Kimptons... they may actually end up being a downgrade when it comes to ameneties and services. But then again, this hotel I'm in now at $175 tax-in is pretty devoid of character and may as well be in any city... not at all what I want out of a New York hotel!

I wish I could bid on specific botuique properties like the Greenwich or Gramercy... I'd be willing to spend much more if I could still get a great bargain!

I'm just really skeptical and weary of the proto-3/4 star boutique hotels that don't really seem to live up to their star status.

I'm not as familiar with The Dylan as i am with most of the other hotels which regularly turn up on PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, but in the first 4 pages of reviews i don't see anything about bedbugs, stolen money, or anything of the other negatives you mention... i see comments like "Excellent location, Very Clean", "Outstanding", and "Perfect location, clean rooms and nice staff" to quote the titles of the first three reviews.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't know, I usually approach Tripadvisor's reviews with a grain of salt I guess, but when 44 of them are "Excellent" and nearly half of that, 26 are "Terrible" and 25 "Poor"... I'm not filled with much confidence:

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g60...y_New_York.html

At least TWO spearate reviewers report having cash stolen from their rooms and police reports filed. I tend to have higher standards than most when travelling and staying in hoels because I usually splurge for better accommodations where service is valued. When every single negative or even mixed review cites hard mattresses and cheap pillows, I'm weary to cancel my current res (which normally books at over $300 for a king room btw!) for what I can only assume would be a downgrade.

It's one thing to be staying in a more appealing bldg, but it's the room itself and quality of stay that I'm most concerned with... unless we somehow can find a deal at a 4-Star luxury or boutique hotel that actually lives up to it's status... I'm just very concerned about passing on the great value that we've got (despite my HATING the current property we're staying at) for something uncertain. At least the SoHo location is within walking distance of all the East Village restos and bars and just about everything.

Again, I just wish I could afford to stay in a place like the Greenwich or Grammercy Park (both of which I've previously stayed!) on this trip... but unless I can score an incredible promo or rate, I'm stuck.

As my travel agent normally gets incredible discounts at Fairmounts, I emailed her about the Plaza (and just for fun the Waldorf) even though the latter is probably considered a bit old and resting on it's former glory. Neither really hip places for younger couples I guess, but I'd surely much appreciate a luxury hotel with service for value over any of the other options and I already have promo codes for one complimentary night... I just have to find a way to reduce the price a bit! The Waldorf is not even that expensive based on some of the deals I'm finding... It's not the ideal place I'd want to be, but I'm really looking for a good deal on a room that will be spacious, comfortable and possibly provide room for an upgrade!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]