Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* NYC (Chelsea-MSG) Distrikt Hotel

vespass
By vespass,
in

Hi guys, Sweden calling!

Have to try the american way of travelling...

Some questions before I make my searches:

– have been staying at Times Square and somewhere in Midtown, I think it was the Hilton NY.

Want to try something new, where there are more fun shopping, more nightlife and less touristtraps, any suggestions?

– about the "Hotwire customer reviews", is the percent based on the category or is it just for the hotel?

– are there any difference between an 4* hotel in Midtown and for example an 4* in SOHO?

– before I make a search, I use the link HOTWIRE and is that enough, or do I need to do something more?

thanks

/mike

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Want to try something new, where there are more fun shopping, more nightlife and less touristtraps, any suggestions?
So that we can suggest something within your budget, what are your dates of travel and expected budget.
– about the "Hotwire customer reviews", is the percent based on the category or is it just for the hotel?
They're hotel specific.
– are there any difference between an 4* hotel in Midtown and for example an 4* in SOHO?
Difference in terms of quality, cost, surrounding area?? What aspect are you inquiring about?
– before I make a search, I use the link HOTWIRE and is that enough, or do I need to do something more?
That'll do it... easy enough :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the quick answers...

Our budget is $200 and our dates are 7-11 aug, like it says in the headline. :)

My question about the 4* hotel is if I can expect the same standard in SOHO as an 4* in Midtown?

Can 3.5* in Midtown be the same in standard as 4* in Midtown for example?

Heard nice things about SOHO with great variety of bars and restaurants but if I choose that area

is it possible that I will end up close the very quiet Financial district?

How are the areas Midtown East/West and ESB? Good places for two guys that wants to have fun?

/mike

Heard nice things about SOHO with great variety of bars and restaurants but if I choose that area

is it possible that I will end up close the very quiet Financial district?

Yes, you could end up anywhere in the zone(s) that you select.
My question about the 4* hotel is if I can expect the same standard in SOHO as an 4* in Midtown?

Can 3.5* in Midtown be the same in standard as 4* in Midtown for example?

Hard to answer as there really is no 'standard' for star ratings... if you go thru the hotel lists on the board you will get an rough idea of the hotels you might receive at each star rating, but chances are there will be some 3.5* hotel that you prefer over some of the 4* hotels and vice versa.
How are the areas Midtown East/West and ESB?
If you do your homework, or explore enough, you can find "local" place just about anywhere in Manhattan (perhaps except for the heart of Times Square, but even there, walk down a few side streets and you can find local Irish bars, trendy places with velvet ropes or whatever it is that you're looking for. If you don't find what you want nearby then just about anything is a short taxi or subway ride away.

For example, I recently met a friend after work for a drink in midtown and while we like different types of bars, we discussed where we wanted to go, and had the choice of sitting at the bar at an upscale steakhouse, the 'scene' at the lobby of the Royalton, a historic place like the Algonquin, or a local Irish Pub... all of this within a 5 block radius of where we were standing at the moment. Perhaps if i really wanted to listen to live music i would have needed to head to the Village given it was early in the evening, but if that's what we wanted we could hopped on the subway and been there in 15 minutes... really not a big deal, imo.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Always use the link HOTWIRE

Thought it would be good manners to close this thread…

Foolish me thought the prices and the variety of nice 4* hotels would be better

closer to my departure. But like a shining star I found stevesul's thread about

a 3.5* Chelsea-MSG and saved this vacation. His great review and the faboulus

figures from Tripadvisor made me book this hotel directly.

3.5* Chelsea-MSG

$205 august 7 - 4 nights

No amenities

100% recommended

4.5 rating tripadvisor

And yes it was THE DISTRIKT HOTEL :)

BTW. Lookied at one hotel 4* ESB that charges "Resort Fee". Thought that only was common

with hotels at resorts, you know by the beach or lake, or some other recreation area, but in

the middle of NY?

Congrats on your success. :)

Excellent deal and thank you for closing the thread. Glad you are pleased with the result and looking forward to your stay at this newer property.

The ESB property may be the Roger Williams, which is the only property I'm aware of in NYC that charges a fee.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's HOTWIRE link.

Enjoy your stay.

@vespass- Glad my review helped you find the Distrikt. Its a really nice Boutique hotel that is a not too big. It doesn't have a lot of extras like a gym or pool but it does everything else very well. We would have preferred to be more toward Chelsea but the hotel is worth the extra subway stops.

One other tip...go on Facebook and become a fan of Distrikt Hotel. Post a message on their wall that you are excited on staying there coming from Sweden. They have upgraded people to higher floors, etc. Not sure they do free upgrades for hotwire bookings...but it's worth a shot. I didn't know about Facebook since we booked the morning we arrived...but we just called them and they upgraded us from Queen to King with no problems/charge.

Have fun in NYC,

Steve

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]