Priceline Hotel: Mission Impossible? (MP, Loop, Grant) 10/10

the_chad
By the_chad,
in

10/10/10 is the Chicago marathon. If i was merely there for completing the race, i may not care where i stayed or the location in the city, but that's not the case. SO...

I have flexible dates for staying downtown as i can stay with friends outside of the city or book a hotel just as easily. I'm quite flexble regarding * level and how many nights. The integral part is to be in the MP/Loop/Grant district on 10/9, the night before the marathon to allow the easiest access to the start line.

Cursory research including a 2 night stay, 10/9 & 10/10 yields the following:

Retail price showing for a 4* = $296

Retail price showing for a 3.5* = $268

Retail price showing for a 3* = $238

Is this a lost cause? I understand that a typical "wow, great deal" is unlikely, but what i can reasonably estimate to be a per night winning bid?

What should i start my bid with?

Many thanks for your help in advance!!!

This is not exactly an optimal suggestion, but it's a possibility to consider: The Habitat Suites at Presidential Towers is $214.99 on 10/9 on Orbitz. This is one or more apartments at the Presidential Towers complex on the West side of the Loop area (so you would have to get across the Loop to the race) that are rented on a short-term basis on sites such as Orbitz. I've not stayed there, but the reviews - at least from short-term tenants (long-term tenants reviews are rather negative) - are not too bad.

If you want to ensure a hotel next to the North end of Millennium Park/Grant Park, the Fairmont is $299 via Expedia. Expedia also has the River Hotel at $249 and Sax at $279. I'm actually surprised the Fairmont has any availability, given its distance to the start of the race.

Many properties in the Loop appear sold out, which is unfortunately not unusual for the Marathon, which is a particularly busy/expensive hotel weekend. HOTWIRE has no discounted Loop listings, although there are surprisingly a few in the Mag Mile and North Michigan Ave. areas.

You could try bidding for this particular date - how much to start would depend on desired budget and star rating - but unfortunately, I think it's probably unlikely that there's any inventory in the Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park zone.

Please use the site's Expedia, Orbitz, PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 1 year later...

Sorry that I didn't follow up; I had no news to report or winning bid information. I wasn't able to secure a room anywhere near my budget and did not purchase a room through Priceline or Hotwire.

Thank you for the information though! That was an impossible weekend to win any kind of deal :/

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]