Hotwire Hotel: newbie needing help bidding in new york

willowy_mist
By willowy_mist,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding!

September is a very expensive time in NYC and these dates are no exception. Based upon current prices i think you'll have to go into the $200's to have a chance at a 4* hotel in these zones... or you could also consider other zones (CPS and/or ESB... although i'm not sure this will help you too much) or SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID.

What is your maximum budget for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you would like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

September is a seasonally strong time in NYC... the weather is usually great as it's typically not too hot and not too cold so we get lots of visitors during this time frame.

With NYC hotel tax at 14.5% and PRICELINE's booking for on a 7 nite stay ~$5/nite, if my math is correct your maximum bid is ~$270/nite, is this right?

Also, is there any reason you're avoiding the CPS and/or ESB zone from your 4* bidding?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ah, I thought september, being outside school holiday season would be cheaper!! Yeah, $270 per night including taxes so bids of up to $210ish to allow for this. We were looking at MTE, MTW and TS before loking at EBS area as this would also be ok but thought we'd try our luck at the other 3 first but we thought CPS was a little far up for us.

...$270 per night including taxes so bids of up to $210ish to allow for this.

A bid of $210 would be much less than your current back-up reservation... my calculations above give a bid price of $270 to equal your back-up hotel. I'm not saying that you should necessarily bid up to your back-up price as there is something to be said for knowing the exact hotel you will be staying in (although i think Vincci Avalon is generally considered a 3.5* property so a PRICELINE win at 4* may be considered an upgrade in quality), but i think the difference between $210 and $270 is enough to be the difference between success/failure for these dates.

Please clarify your maximum bid price of if you disagree with my math let me know where we're not on the same page:

$2270 / 7 nites = $324/nite

less nightly tax = $283 room rate per nite

less PRICELINE's booking fee ~$5/nite = $278 maximum bid to equal your back up reservation

$210 may or may not be enough.

Not sure where you're getting the average rate or the level of discount from, but discounts are not consistent throughout. If a hotel has low occupancy levels and has lots of unoccupied rooms, their hotel direct rates will be low and they will likely be able to discount them much further thru the opaque suppliers. However, if occupancy is high their hotel direct rates will be high as well, and as the hotel has fewer rooms left, they may feel they can sell them on their own rather than offer them at a deep discount. Given this scenario, the hotel may not offer rooms to PRICELINE / HOTWIRE at all, or what inventory they do offer, will only be a minimal discount.

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTW...

Select 4* TS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and TS...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $245, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $250

Any questions feel free to ask.

I'd start with the above... if rejected we'll revise to try again in 24 hours.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

You have plenty of time, but keep in mind that rates are date specific and the rates you're currently seeing for the summer months (low season) will not necessarily apply to your September dates (high season).

Use the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins to see any wins for dates around your own... and also use to see rates for last year during the same timeframe.

Good luck and keep us updated as to your progress or if we can be of further help.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board for your purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]