Priceline Hotel: 4* Miami (Beach) Renaissance Eden Roc

California83
By California83,
in

Hi

We're a young couple going to Miami, as part of a roadtrip vacation.

We'll be flying in to Miami on Fri Oct 15th, and most likely staying until Tuesday 19th.

What I would like some help with is a bidding strategy for Miami. Neither of us have been to Miami before, so i'm guessing South Beach will be the best place to stay (Collins Ave Oceanfront, Ocean Drive and central in prioritized order). Neither am I very familiar with Priceline (I've only bid once). Read the bidding strategy explained, and think I understand. Our budget is max $80/night, but I'm hoping for something around 50-60, it that's at all possible in that area. A 3,5*-4* would of course be the best, but we're not high-maintenance and can go lower on star rating as long as it's good value for money (some of the 2,5* ones I'm sure are fine if I get a good deal!).

I've been watching hotwire, but I don't feel the deals are that good there at the moment (maybe I'm too early), and few hotels under $80.

Might I be able to get a better deal on priceline now, or do I need to wait until closer to October to find good deals? I thought Miami may be a low season in October, so good deals might be easier to find closer to our travel date.

Shold I wait and just keep watching prices on hotwire, or consider strating bidding on PL? If so, can you help with a bidding strategy for Miami?

I'm sorry if it's a bit unclear what I want, I'd prefer max $80 for a good 3,5-4*, but I love a great deal, so if it's possible to save a lot of money for staying not-so-fancy I'm willing to do that (just gives us more money to spend on other things).

Thank you for your help and this forum, and I of course use your links for both searches and purchases every time:)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

...i'm guessing South Beach will be the best place to stay (Collins Ave Oceanfront, Ocean Drive and central in prioritized order).
Are you willing to pay more to be in your first (then second then third) zone choice OR is the least expensive hotel in any of these three zones your goal?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you willing to pay more to be in your first (then second then third) zone choice OR is the least expensive hotel in any of these three zones your goal?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board. :)

The least expensive in any of the three will do.

We won't pick up our rental car until we'll leave Miami the 19th, so I figured the three SoBe locations would be the most central ones (we don't mind walking a lot if the area is safe). And I don't want to worry (and pay extra) for parking:)

One more question...

How high did you want to go at the 4* level ($50, $60, $80??) before trying for a 3.5* property?

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

After looking at previous wins, it looks like it's hard to get a 4* for less than $100/night, so I guess I have to set our absolute max for the 4* at $100 as well.

For 3,5* and lower, I think max $70/night. I hope Miami won't be in high season at that moment, so I'm hoping for something ideally around 50-60, though $70 is the limit no matter 1-3,5*. Currently hotwire's cheapest in SoBe is $69, so I'm hoping for something a little less.

OK, if i'm following correctly, you're willing to go up to $100 for a 4* hotel, but anything less than that you're willing to go up to $70. Assuming this is correct...

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones... at the 3.5* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* SB Central, SB Collins and SB Ocean Drive...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* SB Central and SB Ocean Drive...

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $48, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* SB Collins...

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $48, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* SB Central, SB Collins and SB Ocean Drive...

Bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update:

I ended up getting Renaissance Eden Roc for $97/night.

Looking at previous wins, I saw this was the cheapest and most often won hotel in 4* Miami Beach area. I had originally planned for a South beach location, since we won't be having a car while in Miami, but I figured we could spend the money we save (on not being in SoBe, and not having to pay for parking) on an extra cab fare or two between Eden Roc and SoBe.

Started bidding at $65, even though knowing no 4* hotel in Miami beach ever went below $75.

With a lot of re-bidding I ended up getting the Renaissance Eden Roc for $97/night + taxes from Oct 15th-19th, the same as a lot of previous wins, so I'm happy!

I used your PRICELINE links, and will continue to use them and your site for future purchases.

Thank you for all the help!

Edit: I guess Eden Rock is spelled without the "k".

If you do rent a car, there is a Municipal parking lot next to the Eden Roc that offers reasonable day or hourly rate parking and is free after 6 so long as you get in before they start charging for overnight parking (say 5 pm) based on my last vist a year ago. There is also metered street parking that is free after 6 pm but you need to plug the meters by 8 am if I remember correctly. A little inconvenient if you are not an early riser but otherwise you can save some $. We have also enjoyed Fifi's place - a small restaurant with very good fish and seafood food and reasonable prices not too far north but not really walking distance as I recall. We are going to the Eden Roc again in a couple weeks, also at $97.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]