Hotwire Hotel: 3* Richmond (West-Glen Allen) Aloft

Peter Piper
By Peter Piper,
in

dates: 7/4 - 7/5

Got this one for $42 on HOTWIRE, which came out to $55 after taxes and fees.

I usually use PRICELINE but decided to try HOTWIRE for a hotel in Richmond. Hotwire has one advantage over priceline that they tell you what percentage of their reviewers recommend it.

HOTWIRE had one 3-star hotel for a great price and it was recommended by an astonishing 95% of hotwire guests. It seemed like a sure bet.

I looked at the Hotwire Virginia hotel list and saw that all the 3-stars for this area of Richmond are all nice well-known brands. What a surprise when I got none of the hotels on the list instead got a completely un-heard of place called the 'Aloft', which is part of the Starwood chain.

From what I've seen of the photos, this hotel is an extremely modern, trendy place with a decor that would most likely appeal to the 20-something crowd. Think Euro-chic or a Nightclub in Copenhagen or something like that. (See photos here) It looks way too modern and minimalist for my tatste but I'm trying to reserve judgment about it until after my stay. I'll post something more after I've stayed there.

Anyone wishing to book a 3-star in Richmond should be aware that you may get this hotel. If it's your kind of place, great. If not, then you just have to keep in mind that you're getting the luck of the draw when you do PRICELINE and HOTWIRE.

By the way, Aloft should be added to the Hotwire hotels for 'Richmond West - Glen Allen area Hotel'.

Thank you for sharing your result with the board!

Also thanx for the addition for this new property to the BetterBidding Hotwire Hotel List

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links to start future purchases.

Yellowdog.

An interesting hotel but it is DEFINITELY not for everyone. It is a strange place: ultra-modern place looks like something out of a sci-fi film. It is very much aimed at the youth market. Exercise room is the best I've seen, but pool was very small and murky. Best thing about this hotel is that it is located across from Whole Foods. If you win this one on PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, try to keep an open mind.

Please see my COMPLETE REVIEW of the hotel.

I think this hotel is showing for a search I am running for 7/30, one night - 3*, $ 42 and 95% recommended and there are actually no amenities listed on the listing.

By the way, I was also fooled by the "95% recommend". There is no way 95% of the people would recommend this place. That has to be some kind of mistake. On TripAdvisor only 73% recommend it. If you're feeling adventurous and are looking to try something truly new and different this is is the place. It has a real spartan and minimalist feel that many people may not go for. I would not give this hotel three stars.

I just noticed that now on Hotwire what appears to be the same hotel now says '75% recommend'.

I wish there were a way on Priceline or Hotwire to specify that you do not want this type of hotel, but the only thing you can do is to research on sites like this and not bid on a three star hotel in this area if you'd rather not stay at the Aloft.

For the record, I do not believe this place deserves three stars.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]