Priceline Hotel: Looking for suggestions for hotels in NYC

chimmoi
By chimmoi,
in

Hi everybody,

I am planning our very first trip to NYC and need all the help I can get on hotels. Traveling date: July 28 - Aug 3, 2010. My preferences are:

• Budget is ~ $190-$200/night but willing to up it if needed.
  • 2 beds for 2 adults + 2 teenagers. Is it possible to find rooms with 2 queen beds in NYC (I know, I know) :) ??? Otherwise, 2 doubles will be fine.
  • We are family of 4, so would like to avoid small and cramped rooms (names of the hotels to avoid is helpful).
  • Easy access to public transportation.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everybody,

Never been to NYC and this is it... need all the help I can get on hotels. Traveling date: July 28 - Aug 3, 2010. My preferences are:

• Budget is ~ $190-$200/night but willing to up it if needed.
  • 2 beds for 2 adults + 2 teenagers. Is it possible to find rooms with 2 queen beds in NYC (I know, I know) :) ??? Otherwise, 2 doubles will be fine.
  • We are family of 4, so would like to avoid small and cramped rooms (names of the hotels to avoid is helpful).
  • Easy access to public transportation.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Hotels in NYC (across all star levels) often offer small rooms, and as a result, rooms with two beds are often hard to get and quite often go for a premium. There is no way to guarantee 2 beds via PRICELINE and nowhere is this more true than in NYC - using that service in an attempt to get more than one bed is a very high risk. HOTWIRE, where one can enter 2a/2c when searching to ensure enough bedding for the whole party (2 beds or possibly 1 + sofa) would be a better option. Are you seeing any listings of interest when searching on HOTWIRE for your dates?

In terms of regular rate, the Doubletree Chelsea - which is a newer property - is $203 non-refundable for your dates, and coupon code 10SPRING takes another $10 off per night at Expedia. With this route, you could select 2 doubles.

Is your budget $190-200 "all-in" (taxes/fees included) or $190-200 + taxes/fees?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or Expedia.com links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me what % the taxes/fees is in NYC ?

Assuming I stick with $200 taxes/fees included, can you suggest a few more options on Hotwire or Expedia ? In the mean time, I'll use the link here to check out the Doubletree Chelsea property.

NYC hotel tax is ~14.5%

What i'm guessing to be the well reviewed Hotel Indigo is available for $209/nite... that would look like another good option, in addition to the Doubetree deal thru Expedia.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our Expedia link if you decide to go that route)

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I checked out the mentioned hotels on Expedia (using the link from here of course). Thanks.

If I book through Priceline, then at check-in, ask for an upgrade to 2 beds and pay for the upgrade. Or perhaps even call the hotel before arrival and ask for upgrade. What's your opinion on this method ?

...If I book through Priceline, then at check-in, ask for an upgrade to 2 beds and pay for the upgrade. Or perhaps even call the hotel before arrival and ask for upgrade. What's your opinion on this method ?

Extremely risky!!!

I don't know the NYC scene well, but I know tons of friends that go there on business all the time....and a lot of hotels have few (if any) 2 bed set ups.

If having 2 beds is essential to your planning, then follow the other guys' lead and go through HOTWIRE. You may pay a little more, but sometimes you can't have your cake (2 beds) and eat it too (the cheapest deals). :) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I had to take the safe route and booked exactly what I need (enough bedding for 4). I ended up booking a 1-br suite at the Affinia Manhattan for $235/nt (a relatively good rate for that hotel).

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll sure be back to this forum in the future for the next trip .

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]