Priceline Hotel: Charlotte 6/17-19/10: Not doing well

deejub
By deejub,
in

Will be in Charlotte area 6/17-19. As my appointments are northeast of the city, the only good areas for me are around UNC-Charlotte and Concord/Kannapolis. I don't want to go down to 2* as that brings in a couple of possible bad places to stay (e.g. the ones around Sugar Creek Road). My bids are below; in each case I have put the daily rate offered followed by the actual 2-day cost including fees.

Bids on 5/22

3* Charlotte-University 38/96.08, not accepted

Added Concord, same price, not accepted

Added 2.5 stars, 40/100.78, not accepted

Bids on 5/23

3* Charlotte-University, 44/110.20, not accepted

Added Fort Mill-Carowinds (free rebid zone), 50/124.30, not accepted

I am able to get a (non-prepaid, cancel by 6 on day of arrival, AAA) rate at the TownePlace Suites - University of 62/140, so my last failed bid is only $15 for 2 days less than at a place with free internet, free breakfast and good reviews and location. (Also available at the same price is the Country Inn and Suites, which is a less well-regarded hotel.)

Hotwire isn't better. There's a 3* in the UNCC area -- which I'm betting is the Holiday Inn, which is inferior IMHO to the TownPlace Suites -- at 56/139. There's also a 2.5 star at 48/117, which would seem to be a better price (though not a great one), and I'm worried about which place it might be. The only hotel in that area that's listed in the forum is the Country Inn and Suites, and the amenities do not match (though I gather they can leave out some amenities at times, which could be the case here). In fact, I'm having trouble finding a match to this listing. It doesn't show the breakfast you'd expect at TownePlace. Candlewood is all-suites. Nothing else in the area seems to be a likely 2.5* with laundry and fitness as far as I can see.

This may just be one of those times that PRICELINE / HOTWIRE isn't the way to go, but anyone have any ideas?

This may just be one of those times that PRICELINE / HOTWIRE isn't the way to go...

It may be the case...

You're back-up reservation is $56/nite... less PRICELINE's fee of ~$6/nite and you're at an equivalent PRICELINE bid of $49. Less the $7-$8/nite you want to do better than the PRICELINE rate and you're at about a $42/nite bid. If you're bids at about this amount aren't being accepted, i'm guessing you're just shy of a win, but also don't see any need to go over this threshold since you're happy with the back-up you have. I'd keep bidding up to your limit until you're not able to cancel the Towne Place Suites any longer.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please follow-up this thread with whatever you end up doing for this stay, even if you choose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Last try at bidding:

3* Charlotte-University 44, not accepted

Added 2.5 stars, 50, not accepted

While there is a slight possibility I might try again (with a crazy low bid right before traveling, just on the 1% chance), I'm very happy with the non-Priceline backup reservation I made. I'd like to close this thread out, as I need to move on to another reservation (New York City suburbs on the day before this trip -- because, silly me, I'm flying to Charlotte out of LaGuardia at 6 a.m. and live 3.5 hours away by car).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]