Priceline Hotel: 4* Jersey City 07/14/10

arnovdb
By arnovdb,
in

After bidding on priceline and getting the Westin for 07/15/1010 - 07/18/10 now trying to find a room for arriving July 14.

The hotwire rate for this day is about 250 USD!!!!!

@thereuare: Thank you for the assistance. Do you have any other advices for the July 14 night?

Could you tell me something about the Liberty State Park? Departure of boattrips? and is the LSP easy to reach by public transport?

Could you tell me something about the Liberty State Park? Departure of boattrips? and is the LSP easy to reach by public transport?
My first reaction would be "why do you want to go there" as it's really not that great of a park or much to do, imo. (although some good kite flying areas) What would you be seeking by going to this area and what type of boattrips are you looking for? (i may have some suggestions in both regards)

For the nite of 7/14 would you have an interest in staying in Manhattan... there seem to be some 3*-3.5* properties in the $150 area.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The LSP was unknown for us, reading your comment I think it is not attractive for us.

Boattrip will be visiting the Statue of Liberty Island and the crown or maybe sailing on the Hudson with a speedboat.

The choice for Statue of Liberty island is first go to Manhattan and than take the boat or take a boat from Jersey City.

Can you take the boat from Jersey City, go to Statue of Liberty and end in Manhattan?

We like to stay the first night in Westin or otherwise Doubletree, Yourtcard, Hyatt so that the other day we can go directly to the Westin.

We arrive at JFK (3 persons) in the late afternoon and want to a taxi or something like that to Jersey City. Do you have any advices on that point?

I'm counting on 100 USD including toll and tip, is that right?

Thanks for your assistance

LSP is a good place to catch the ferry to the Statue of Liberty as the lines there are shorter than from Battery Park in Manhattan. The LightRail has a "Liberty State Park" station but it's a fairly looong walk from this station to the park itself, and not in the best of neighborhoods, not something i would typically recommend. Also, if you are going to go to the Statue of Liberty keep in mind it's a all day affair... by the time you wait on all the lines to get on the boat, lines at the statue, lines to get back on the boat. Many choose to just see the statue from afar rather than take all the time that is necessary to actually go to the island.

If you want a speedboat ride this is "the one" people seem to do: The Beast. Something a bit more laid back which i have enjoyed are either of the the sailboats offered HERE.

How much are you willing to spend to stay in Jersey City? (it may end up costing you just as much as Manhattan for the nite of 7/14). If you stayed in the city you could take a taxi from JFK to your hotel in Manhattan (cheaper than taxi to Jersey City), spend the nite of the 14th in Manhattan and leave your bags at the hotel while you stay in the city for the afternoon/evening of the 15th, then pick up your bags and head to the Westin the nite of the 15th to check-in. (probably less than idea vs. staying in Jersey City, but just an option on how it can be done, give you more time in the city, and probably less cost)

Taxi from JFK-->Jersey City at $100 'all-in' sounds about right, can probably do it a bit cheaper thru some local companies which i can provide as you get closer to check-in (i'll know of any local specials then too). An alternative to the $100 fare is taking a taxi from JFK-->PATH train (33rd or WTC depending upon which hotel you end up with for the nite of the 14th) which is more like $45 + tolls/tip... then just $1.75/pp PATH to jersey city.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your advices. We will think about the boattrips. Staying in Manhattan is no option for us for the first night.

I will contact you later for the local transport.

We have booked the Holland Motor Lodge as a backup hotel for one night.

I think it is in walking distance to the Westin (10 minutes) for the case our Priceline bids will fail.

• 1 month later...

@Thereuare

Last time you gave us the following information:

Taxi from JFK-->Jersey City at $100 'all-in' sounds about right, can probably do it a bit cheaper thru some local companies which i can provide as you get closer to check-in (i'll know of any local specials then too). An alternative to the $100 fare is taking a taxi from JFK-->PATH train (33rd or WTC depending upon which hotel you end up with for the nite of the 14th) which is more like $45 + tolls/tip... then just $1.75/pp PATH to jersey city.

Could you provide us with some cheaper options for transport from JFK to Westin Jersey City (or Holland Motor Lodge)?

I don't see recent wins for the Westin and the Hotwire price is about 235 usd for that night. I think that we have to stay 1 night in the Holland Motor Lodge. The following morning we walk (or take a cap) to the Westin and drop our suitcases and go to Manhattan with the Path.

Thank you

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]