Priceline Hotel: 3* Chicago (River North) Holiday Inn at the Mart

jborden11
By jborden11,
in

I have never used Hotwire or Priceline before, but I am looking to book a two night stay in Downtown Chicago, as near Michigan Ave. as possible, from Apr. 8 - 10.

I was unsuccessful in my bids on Priceline last night. Using all of my re-bids, I offered up to $55 a night for as low as a 2.5* hotel.

Today on Hotwire, I noticed that prices have dropped approx. $10 from last night, to $68 for a 3* hotel on NM/WD, which I assume is the Hilton Garden Inn (which is booking for $132 those nights on the hotel's website). The second cheapest hotel is a 2.5* for $76, with prices ranging from $81 to over $200 from there. Also, I recently signed up with Hotwire and they have offered to let me see the name of the hotel and cancel the reservation within an hour of booking if I choose.

My basic question is this:

Is the $68, 3* hotel on Hotwire my best bet? Should I book now at that price on Hotwire, or should I wait to see if Hotwire's rates drop even further, or until I can bid again on Priceline? If Priceline, what recommendations do you have on bidding strategies, specifically, how much to bid?

Sorry for the long post, but I would really appreciate any insight.

Thank You

I did have bids ranging from $42-$55 for 2.5* rejected in the NMA and RNA zones the previous night, using all of my "free" re-bids. I originally didn't want to stay in the Loop/Grant Park area, so I did not bid using that zone when I first started my bidding. However, seeing that the prices had dropped on Hotwire since my last bid, I thought I'd take a chance and add the Loop the next day, just to get an additional bid. I figured that I had a good shot of getting a hotel in the NMA or RNA zone anyway, but if I got one in the Loop zone, it wouldn't be the worst thing.

So, down to my last bid, I offered $55 for 2.5* in the NMA, RNA, and Loop/Grant Park Zone and my bid was accepted. I bid for 2.5* because I was hoping to at least get the Courtyard in the RNA. I may have been able to save a buck or two, but I didn't want to take the chance of getting nothing with my last bid and paying more later on. I figured that was a possibility considering the number of conventions that weekend, as well as the Cubs game. Since winning the bid, prices for the Holiday Inn on Hotwire have risen from the $68 I mentioned in the first post, to $76, so I'm fairly pleased with the price I received.

Sorry for the confusion.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]